“Comfortable, Safe & Lovely”
Review of Hotel Wales

Hotel Wales
Ranked #218 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have never had such a good night sleep as I did in this hotel. My room was smaller than expected but since I happened to be alone this time it was sufficient. The bed and pillows were so cozy and my room was quiet. I felt very safe in this hotel while staying alone.
It is an older building so the ac is a window unit but mine was not noisy and I was very comfortable.
I loved that I could walk to central park and the Guggenheim. Everything I needed was close by.
The staff was very friendly.
The rooftop terrace was enjoyable.
I felt this hotel was a great value and I would stay in it again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with anyone else besides yourself than get a suite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Thank you for leaving us your kind review. I am glad that you were able to get a good night's sleep. During your future visits please consider staying in one of our suites. They offer very nice views facing Madison Avenue and are much larger than our classic standard rooms.

The neighborhood is very convenient like you mentioned. We are fortunate to have such close proximity to Central Park, many museums including the MET, Frick Collection, and the Jewish Museum just to name a few.

We are excited at the possibility of having you stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Wales

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed in one of the suites, having seen a standard double which was rather poky. There were a few things like cracked tiles or patches of wear on the carpet, but it was clean and friendly. The staff were excellent without exception. There's a really nice roof garden to hang out on, and the free tea and coffee lounge was a nice touch. Bit expensive, but nothing is cheap in this area.

Room Tip: The inner rooms are dark and small. Only stay in one if you don't mind or are only there for a s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

I hope you are having a terrific day as you read this reply. I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us at the Hotel Wales.

I am thrilled that our staff delivered the kind of service that you expect when traveling. I am also glad you were able to spend time on our rooftop. It truly is a great place to relax while enjoying the city view.

We hope to be able to welcome you back the next time you are in New York. In the meantime please enjoy the rest of the summer and may you have many safe and exciting future travels.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I hear they have great rooms that have been upgraded, but I did not get one! Instead I stayed in a penthouse suite. It desperately needed some repairs! something was spitting out of the air conditioner all over the room and the shower need caulking immediately! other than that Sarabeth's kitchen is right there so that was a plus, It's the best breakfast in the city! The hotel has a lovely rooftop terrace and free 24 hour coffee on the second floor! I like the neighborhood great restaurants! its just a little far uptown... but I did not mind that.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Good afternoon Farley,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay with us. It sounds like we missed the mark on offering you the level of service that you have come to expect. I would very much appreciate it if you could personally contact me so that we can gather more information as this would greatly allow us to improve on the areas that you mentioned.

Should you decide to stay with us again please contact me directly as well. I would personally like to handle all your accommodation needs so as to ensure a seamless much more memorable experience.

212-876-6000
nteran@waleshotel.com

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Finding good hotels in NYC is hard, but Hotel Wales was definitely worth it. The rooms are a decent size, are well maintained and have free wi-fi, they have a beautiful rooftop terrace and the staff is helpful and friendly. The only drawback for me is the location. Yes, it is only a block from Central Park and a lot of major museums, but if it is your first visit to NYC you may be better off paying more and staying downtown instead of on the upper east side. It is just a different experience. But overall I would stay here again if location doesn´t matter.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cosmos_Estrela

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Hotel Wales with other like-minded travelers such as yourself. I am glad that you received great service from all members of our staff. Complimentary WI-FI internet access goes a long way in New York; I am glad that you were able to take advantage of that.

Please come visit us again during your future trips to New York. In the meantime I would like to wish you many safe and exciting future travels.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Finding a hotel in New York on a budget is hard. Either the rooms are musty with suspicious odors, or they are tiny, corporate non-entities.

Enter, the Hotel Wales. Though this is an older hotel, it has been beautifully kept up. Wood scalloping on the window and door panes; marble touches; subway tile. Everything is spotlessly clean. Only the tired, old carpets could use a redo.

Our room was #904, and it is HUGE by New York standards. A bedroom AND a living room? With a door that closes between them??!! Be still my heart! We came with our 15 month old, and the pack n' play the hotel provided was perfect for her in the living room, while we enjoyed blissful nights in the bedroom.

Though a coffee/tea maker would be nice to have en-suite, the second floor lounge is so lovely, and the teas and coffees so tasty, that this amenity isn't really missed. And the rooftop terrace is truly a gem. Though we didn't spend much time up there due to the humidity, I can imagine take-away dinners with spectacular Central Park views would be a treat!

Having Sarabeths as the in-house restaurant ain't too shabby, and the fact that this hotel is walking distance to some of the best museums in the world makes it a real winner!

Finally, a word about the staff. To a man (and woman), they are helpful and are quick to fulfill every request. When I was checking out, I had been billed for the pack n' play, even though I was told on the phone that there would be no charge when I was booking the room. The manager was right there to strike the item from my bill. What a gentleman! The personification of this non-corporate, idiosyncratic and lovely Upper East Side jewel.

Room Tip: Our room, 904, has a terrific view of the Park!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank dreamtimer

Hello Dreamtimer,

I hope you made it home safely. Thank you so much for your kind review. The Carnegie Suite which you stayed at is one of my personal favorites. I am glad that you enjoyed everything the hotel has to offer including the splendid view from our rooftop deck.

We look forward to the possibility of having you stay with us during your future trips to New York.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Enjoyed my stay. I arrived early so I checked my bags. By the time that I returned in the afternoon, my bags were already in my room. Lovely 24-hour coffee and tea lounge and rooftop terrace. Location was perfect for meetings and visiting museums, and adjacent restaurant Paolo's was fantastic. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank hihinish
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

I hope you are doing well as you read this reply to your great review. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We are all very glad that you were able to take advantage of the great amenities that the hotel offers including our rooftop deck. It is an excellent place to relax and enjoy the scenery which includes Central Park.

Please come visit us again during your next New York trip.

I would like to wish you many safe and exciting future travels.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

What a lovely place tucked above Sarabeth's on the Upper East Side. I was only staying one night to make an early Drs appt. at Mt Sinai Hospital so I got a salad to go downstairs which I took to eat at the Hotel Wales' penthouse garden. What beautiful panoramic sunset views! Met a lovely uncle and niece with their friendly dog who were already up there. Yes, for a slight extra charge, the hotel accepts pets! In NY! Who knew? Front desk personnel and housekeeping staff were responsive, polite and, based on how they talked to foreign guests, patient and helpful with directions and suggestions. My queen room was small but well laid out, extremely comfy, clean and just what I requested when booking online, -quiet.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Nina B

Hello Nina,

We are very excited that you decided to share your experience with the rest of the traveling community on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the nice views that our rooftop deck offers. It truly is a great place to relax and enjoy the sunset just like you mentioned.

We look forward to the possibility of having you stay with us the next time you are in New York.

In the meantime I would like to wish you many safe and exciting future travels.