“Definitely worth it, if location is not an issue.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Wales

Hotel Wales
Ranked #316 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Definitely worth it, if location is not an issue.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Finding good hotels in NYC is hard, but Hotel Wales was definitely worth it. The rooms are a decent size, are well maintained and have free wi-fi, they have a beautiful rooftop terrace and the staff is helpful and friendly. The only drawback for me is the location. Yes, it is only a block from Central Park and a lot of major museums, but if it is your first visit to NYC you may be better off paying more and staying downtown instead of on the upper east side. It is just a different experience. But overall I would stay here again if location doesn´t matter.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cosmos_Estrela
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Hotel Wales with other like-minded travelers such as yourself. I am glad that you received great service from all members of our staff. Complimentary WI-FI internet access goes a long way in New York; I am glad that you were able to take advantage of that.

Please come visit us again during your future trips to New York. In the meantime I would like to wish you many safe and exciting future travels.

Nestor Teran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Finding a hotel in New York on a budget is hard. Either the rooms are musty with suspicious odors, or they are tiny, corporate non-entities.

Enter, the Hotel Wales. Though this is an older hotel, it has been beautifully kept up. Wood scalloping on the window and door panes; marble touches; subway tile. Everything is spotlessly clean. Only the tired, old carpets could use a redo.

Our room was #904, and it is HUGE by New York standards. A bedroom AND a living room? With a door that closes between them??!! Be still my heart! We came with our 15 month old, and the pack n' play the hotel provided was perfect for her in the living room, while we enjoyed blissful nights in the bedroom.

Though a coffee/tea maker would be nice to have en-suite, the second floor lounge is so lovely, and the teas and coffees so tasty, that this amenity isn't really missed. And the rooftop terrace is truly a gem. Though we didn't spend much time up there due to the humidity, I can imagine take-away dinners with spectacular Central Park views would be a treat!

Having Sarabeths as the in-house restaurant ain't too shabby, and the fact that this hotel is walking distance to some of the best museums in the world makes it a real winner!

Finally, a word about the staff. To a man (and woman), they are helpful and are quick to fulfill every request. When I was checking out, I had been billed for the pack n' play, even though I was told on the phone that there would be no charge when I was booking the room. The manager was right there to strike the item from my bill. What a gentleman! The personification of this non-corporate, idiosyncratic and lovely Upper East Side jewel.

Room Tip: Our room, 904, has a terrific view of the Park!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank dreamtimer
Hello Dreamtimer,

I hope you made it home safely. Thank you so much for your kind review. The Carnegie Suite which you stayed at is one of my personal favorites. I am glad that you enjoyed everything the hotel has to offer including the splendid view from our rooftop deck.

We look forward to the possibility of having you stay with us during your future trips to New York.

washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Enjoyed my stay. I arrived early so I checked my bags. By the time that I returned in the afternoon, my bags were already in my room. Lovely 24-hour coffee and tea lounge and rooftop terrace. Location was perfect for meetings and visiting museums, and adjacent restaurant Paolo's was fantastic. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank hihinish
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
I hope you are doing well as you read this reply to your great review. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We are all very glad that you were able to take advantage of the great amenities that the hotel offers including our rooftop deck. It is an excellent place to relax and enjoy the scenery which includes Central Park.

Please come visit us again during your next New York trip.

I would like to wish you many safe and exciting future travels.

Southampton, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

What a lovely place tucked above Sarabeth's on the Upper East Side. I was only staying one night to make an early Drs appt. at Mt Sinai Hospital so I got a salad to go downstairs which I took to eat at the Hotel Wales' penthouse garden. What beautiful panoramic sunset views! Met a lovely uncle and niece with their friendly dog who were already up there. Yes, for a slight extra charge, the hotel accepts pets! In NY! Who knew? Front desk personnel and housekeeping staff were responsive, polite and, based on how they talked to foreign guests, patient and helpful with directions and suggestions. My queen room was small but well laid out, extremely comfy, clean and just what I requested when booking online, -quiet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Nina B
Hello Nina,

We are very excited that you decided to share your experience with the rest of the traveling community on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the nice views that our rooftop deck offers. It truly is a great place to relax and enjoy the sunset just like you mentioned.

We look forward to the possibility of having you stay with us the next time you are in New York.

In the meantime I would like to wish you many safe and exciting future travels.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed 6 nights at Hotel Wales. Although we were all over NYC, the location was perfect as it was only a couple blocks to the Guggenheim, The Met and the Neue Gallerie. It is also one block to Central Park and the Basin. Easy and lovely walk to stops on the green line.

The hotel itself was just like we like it...historic, but updated. Our room was on the 5th floor with windows looking out on Madison Ave. and 92nd St. We booked a room with a living space and had no regrets. The room was just lovely, very comfortable and quite large. Bathroom was also very spacious. Coffee and tea was set up everyday on the Mezzanine. I was afraid this would be an issue for me as I like to have a cup of coffee first thing when I am up and I get up pretty early. I just popped down a few floors grabbed coffee and NY Times and then headed to one of the BEST parts of Hotel Wales...the rooftop terrace. I spent several of my mornings on the terrace with its views of the basin in Central Park. We also watched the sunset on two evenings with a bottle of wine. A great way to be part of the city, but surrounded by lovely plantings and just high enough to escape the noise of the street.

If you are looking for pools, dining rooms, glass elevators...this place is probably not for you. If you are wanting a bit of old NYC, where you walk into a lobby that is small and welcoming, where the rooms give you a bit of space to stretch out and where you can get to the best of NYC with ease, this is your place.
Hotel Wales is my new favorite in NYC. I will certainly be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner suite...not a huge difference in price, but we had wonderful views and a ton o...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hopeart
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you so much for your "highly accurate" assessment of the Hotel Wales. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary coffee and tea available 24 hours on our mezzanine level. Our rooftop deck definitely is an oasis for relaxation while enjoying the view of the reservoir in Central Park.

We look forward to having you stay with us again during your future trips to New York. In the meantime I would like to wish you many safe and exciting future travels.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I love walking in Central Park, so the Wales's location is perfect. We've stayed there four times. They were undergoing a remodel a few years ago, and it really paid off. The suite where we stayed this time is both comfortable and stylish. It's an old building and the service is basic, but the hotel excels in comfort, convenience and atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your review Chris!!! More importantly, thank you for choosing us over and over again. This is very meaningful to us and especially since you have so many alternative possible accommodations in New York City to choose from.

I am glad that you enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to Central Park. It is very nice to know that one can take a five minute walk and be in central park. The easy access from the hotel to many museums including the Metropolitan Museum of Art is also an added bonus.

We are excited at the possibility of being able to serve you again. In the meantime all of us at the Hotel Wales would like to wish you many safe travels.

Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I am a senior and stayed solo for five nights in a one-queen-bed
classic room on the ninth floor during May 2014. The hotel is in the
Upper East Side of Manhattan and close to relatives I wanted see.
I had an easy walk of a half mile to The Metropolitan Museum of Art
in the City of New York.

To obtain the greatest discount, I made a 40 day in advance
payment in full for my entire stay with no refunds allowed. I strongly
believe the amount I paid was too high. Unfortunately the City of
New York forbids the opening of other hotels nearby.

The Hotel Wales was built over 100 years ago. The hotel
displays a letter by the Mayor of the City of New York proclaiming
"Hotel Wales day" on the 100th anniversary of the hotel. Unfortunately
mistakes were made when the hotel was modernized.

The hotel is hard to find on the east side of Madison Avenue.
Only the hotel doorway fronts on the avenue. No awning covers the
sidewalk. The front desk lobby is small, but the smallness of the lobby
encourages guests to become acquainted with each other.

The mezzanine is one floor up. It has restrooms, a lounge, and a
business center. The lounge serves free coffee and provides daily a few
free copies of The New York York Times. The business center has a few
internet terminals. The first fifteen minutes on an internet terminal is free;
then for each additional fifteen minutes there is a charge on your credit card.
One morning, I used one of the internet terminals for the first fifteen minutes
of free time, but an obsolete version of the Internet Explorer browser
downgraded the performance of reading my e-mail.

Two ancient small elevators serve the hotel. Guests, their luggage,
engineering staff, housekeeping staff, and housekeeping carts share the
same elevators.

My classic room had drawer space and closet space sufficient for one
person but probably not for two. The hotel failed to put a sliding door or even
a curtain to close off the closet space in my room. The hotel failed to install
a modern heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. My room
had a radiator for steam heating and a window air conditioner. In case the night
became too cold, I had engineering bring to my room an electric space heater.
Fortunately I never had to use the space heater. I did had to use the window
air conditioner for hours. The unit was noisy, but I was able to sleep through
the noise. The bed was quite comfortable. The carpet in my room was quite
worn.

The bathroom of my classic room was barely acceptable for men but
would not be acceptable for women: the bathroom had no bathtub. Instead
the bathroom had a shower stall. The hotel failed to provide a sliding door or
even a curtain to completely close off the shower stall. One part of the side
of the shower stall by the shower head was a immovable translucent wall;
the other part of the side of the shower stall was completely open. No matter
how hard I tried, spray from the shower went onto the floor outside the shower.
Fortunately the floor was tiled. Unfortunately there is no fan to ventilate
the bathroom, and the bathroom window is hard to access in order to make an
attempt to open. I never tried to reach the bathroom window. By some means,
the mist from my showers eventually disappeared.

The hotel's restaurant -- Sarabeth's -- is next door. The evening I arrived at
the hotel, I had dinner there. Unfortunately the price was high, and the food and the
service were only fair.

I enjoyed a few simple, light, and inexpensive breakfasts at a coffee shop
named "3 Guys Restaurant". From the hotel, I used to walk across Madison Avenue
from the east side to the west side. Then I walked a few blocks south along the west
side of Madison Avenue to the coffee shop.

Once I was near the front desk of the hotel when the general manager was
present. I shared with him some of my concerns. He asked me to tell him my room
number, and I did.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. It was a delight having had spoken with you while you stayed with us.

I hope you had a great time with your relatives here on the Upper East Side.

We appreciate your feedback regarding your accommodation and will definitely take corrective action where possible. Please note that our awning at the front door will be restored soon. Once it is back in place it will make the Hotel Wales much easier to locate.

In the event that you need more space we recommend staying in one of our many available suites. There you will have a lot more space then the classic standard room which you stayed in.

We all hope you made it back home well. We also hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again during all your future trips to New York City.