“Historic Hotel Poorly Modernized 1 / 2 Mile from Metropolitan Museum”
Review of Hotel Wales

Hotel Wales
Ranked #248 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Historic Hotel Poorly Modernized 1 / 2 Mile from Metropolitan Museum”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I am a senior and stayed solo for five nights in a one-queen-bed
classic room on the ninth floor during May 2014. The hotel is in the
Upper East Side of Manhattan and close to relatives I wanted see.
I had an easy walk of a half mile to The Metropolitan Museum of Art
in the City of New York.

To obtain the greatest discount, I made a 40 day in advance
payment in full for my entire stay with no refunds allowed. I strongly
believe the amount I paid was too high. Unfortunately the City of
New York forbids the opening of other hotels nearby.

The Hotel Wales was built over 100 years ago. The hotel
displays a letter by the Mayor of the City of New York proclaiming
"Hotel Wales day" on the 100th anniversary of the hotel. Unfortunately
mistakes were made when the hotel was modernized.

The hotel is hard to find on the east side of Madison Avenue.
Only the hotel doorway fronts on the avenue. No awning covers the
sidewalk. The front desk lobby is small, but the smallness of the lobby
encourages guests to become acquainted with each other.

The mezzanine is one floor up. It has restrooms, a lounge, and a
business center. The lounge serves free coffee and provides daily a few
free copies of The New York York Times. The business center has a few
internet terminals. The first fifteen minutes on an internet terminal is free;
then for each additional fifteen minutes there is a charge on your credit card.
One morning, I used one of the internet terminals for the first fifteen minutes
of free time, but an obsolete version of the Internet Explorer browser
downgraded the performance of reading my e-mail.

Two ancient small elevators serve the hotel. Guests, their luggage,
engineering staff, housekeeping staff, and housekeeping carts share the
same elevators.

My classic room had drawer space and closet space sufficient for one
person but probably not for two. The hotel failed to put a sliding door or even
a curtain to close off the closet space in my room. The hotel failed to install
a modern heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. My room
had a radiator for steam heating and a window air conditioner. In case the night
became too cold, I had engineering bring to my room an electric space heater.
Fortunately I never had to use the space heater. I did had to use the window
air conditioner for hours. The unit was noisy, but I was able to sleep through
the noise. The bed was quite comfortable. The carpet in my room was quite
worn.

The bathroom of my classic room was barely acceptable for men but
would not be acceptable for women: the bathroom had no bathtub. Instead
the bathroom had a shower stall. The hotel failed to provide a sliding door or
even a curtain to completely close off the shower stall. One part of the side
of the shower stall by the shower head was a immovable translucent wall;
the other part of the side of the shower stall was completely open. No matter
how hard I tried, spray from the shower went onto the floor outside the shower.
Fortunately the floor was tiled. Unfortunately there is no fan to ventilate
the bathroom, and the bathroom window is hard to access in order to make an
attempt to open. I never tried to reach the bathroom window. By some means,
the mist from my showers eventually disappeared.

The hotel's restaurant -- Sarabeth's -- is next door. The evening I arrived at
the hotel, I had dinner there. Unfortunately the price was high, and the food and the
service were only fair.

I enjoyed a few simple, light, and inexpensive breakfasts at a coffee shop
named "3 Guys Restaurant". From the hotel, I used to walk across Madison Avenue
from the east side to the west side. Then I walked a few blocks south along the west
side of Madison Avenue to the coffee shop.

Once I was near the front desk of the hotel when the general manager was
present. I shared with him some of my concerns. He asked me to tell him my room
number, and I did.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. It was a delight having had spoken with you while you stayed with us.

I hope you had a great time with your relatives here on the Upper East Side.

We appreciate your feedback regarding your accommodation and will definitely take corrective action where possible. Please note that our awning at the front door will be restored soon. Once it is back in place it will make the Hotel Wales much easier to locate.

In the event that you need more space we recommend staying in one of our many available suites. There you will have a lot more space then the classic standard room which you stayed in.

We all hope you made it back home well. We also hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again during all your future trips to New York City.

Nestor Teran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I can't say one bad thing about this hotel! What a pleasant change from the chain hotels! I had to travel to NYC on business and I booked this hotel for a GREAT price. I got a king suite for $331 a night (note the Courtyard Marriott was $20 more per night)-the room was larger than my apartment when I lived in NYC years ago! About 500+ sq. ft. The bed was super comfortable. Room very clean and great bathroom. I had a separate living area.

The staff were very kind and accommodating. Fresh coffee and tea all day. No breakfast, but hey, you are in NYC and you don't have to walk more than a block to find tons of restaurants (indeed, there are a few bakeries just north of the hotel on Madison Ave between 95-96th streets). I ate at the Island next door one evening for dinner-very good! Did I also mention that they have a GORGEOUS roof top deck? A rarity in the city

I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: The only complaint, and really it's not the hotels fault, was that my room faced the street and...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hello Shelly,

Thank you for such a fantastic review of the Wales. If you are accustomed to staying in chain hotels and you stay with us you will definitely be delighted at the great difference The Hotel Wales can make. We are all glad you enjoyed that difference.

Our staff is delighted to hear that you enjoyed the level of service provided.

Allow us to welcome you back during your next trip to New York. In the meantime we would all like to wish you many safe and exciting future travels.

Paris
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The close location to Central Park makes this hotel attractive. Staff was also very friendly and helpful. The room was large and the bed was clean and comfortable. However, the price during the week was very high for the low quality of the room, which was dated: old carpets, furniture, amenities. The room was also very noisy (6th floor) and the elevators were really very tired. The hallways were very tiny and food trays stood in the halls at night and were still on the floor late in the morning. Overall, quite a poor hotel, but fortunately the staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask a room that is not facing the street if you want to avoid street noise
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the location and our entire team is delighted that they were able to offer you great service.

We are definitely concerned and are investigating all your concerns. Where possible we will definitely take corrective action. I would like to welcome you back the next time you are in New York. Please contact me directly and I will personally handle all your reservation needs to ensure that your experience is much more memorable.

Nteran@waleshotel.com
212-876-6000

Winona Lake, Indiana
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Attended wedding about 4 blocks away. Central Park one block away. Don't miss Gina La Forina's Bistro with wine bar and Sarabeth's for breakfast. Free Wi Fi nice and roof top has view of Central Park though buildings. Nice staff. Room was dinky, bathroom nice. Get a room that has exterior window if possible -- ours did not. Count on window air conditioners that are bit noisy. Price was quite reasonable for location. No pillow top bed for us -- had plastic mattress pad.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Good morning,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share some feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We all hope you had a great time at the wedding.

We look forward to the possibility of being able to serve you again. Please contact me directly during your next visit and I will personally ensure that your experience with our accommodations exceed your expectations.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Very nice little boutique hotel. Rooms are small but nicely appointed. Roof top garden is a nice touch. Excellent location to museums and subway. Upper East side with many great restaurants and shopping on Madison Avenue. Staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: You can request a larger room which provides a little more space. But all rooms are small.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Good afternoon Doug,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. In a few words you managed to encapsulate some of the great features of the neighborhood which we are fortunate to be a part of. This includes many of the museums along the 5th avenue Museum Mile which is walking distance from the Hotel Wales.

Our entire team is delighted that they were able to offer you friendly advise and recommendations. We are all looking forward to the possibility of having you stay with us again in the near future.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel was pleasant; clean, but just o.k. Little amenities. Fitness room has two pieces of equipment; wi fi is sporadic at best; no vcr (child with our group). A bit dated, dark. Not really great value for price.

Room Tip: We stayed in 'Carnegie Suite', small suite area. No refrigerator; no safe; Just fair.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank algedneil
Good afternoon,

I thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback regarding your stay with us.

It definitely is concerning to us that we were not able to offer you the level of service you are accustomed to.

Next time you are in New York please contact me directly as I would personally like to ensure that you receive an experience that you will want to tell all your friends and family about.

nteran@waleshotel.com
212-876-6000

Oak Beach, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Clean, friendly personnel, many bistros in vicinity, museums, great shopping and quiet. Charming penthouse balcony for the guests' use was a bonus! Room service not available and not missed since there are quaint eateries right outside hotel!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon Susan,

Thank you for choosing us during your stay in New York. We are glad that you enjoyed everything the neighborhood has to offer including the many museums in the area like you mentioned.

Please note that although the Hotel Wales does not have a restaurant, the famous Sarabeths restaurant next door to us provides us with room service for all our guests.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed the rooftop deck. It truly is an oasis for escaping the busy New York City streets after a long day of sight seeing.

We look forward to having you as our guest during your next New York City trip.