“John & Rachel Cape Town South Africa. "Pleasant"”
Review of Hotel Wales

Hotel Wales
Ranked #259 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cape Town
“John & Rachel Cape Town South Africa. "Pleasant"”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 10 days during 2007 and thought we'd go back again this year. We were not very happy as the hotel was undergoing renovations. Our room was nothing compared to the one we occupied during our previous stay. It was small and the carpets were not very clean. The bed was comfortable. The location is good, near all the museums and within walking distance from Central Park. The service and food at the restaurant -Sarabeth was very good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaydeeCapeTown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This boutique hotel was overwhelmingly inviting.the staff was always readily available to assist. I stayed in the King Suite, which was just as cozy and comfortable as my own residence.the room was spacious and very vintage in a great reformed way. the evenings on the rooftop easily became a favorite of mine, with the ambiance of the city and the live music i couldnt get enough.I enjoyed the easyness of the neighborhood considering the hustle and bustle NY is known for.I would defintiely recommend this hotel and would likely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Connecticut
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were there with a Groupon offer. While the reservation process was smooth, once checked in. we asked for a room with a bigger bed. Front desk said that it was our deal to have that room and no changes were available. No free internet. If you want Wi-Fi you have to pay. In our package were included two museum's tickets. I picked the Met, and I was told, during reservation, no problem. Once we got there, they gave me two tickets for the Guggenheim instead. I didn't realize until I got back home. Then I had to travel so I called back the hotel after three weeks, asking if they could kindly change my tickets for the Met, which was my original request. I was told no. They wouldn't do it, even if it was their mistake.
Location is not that great if you want to catch a subway. There is a pretty long walk to the nearest subway station. Bottom line, I would never go back there, despite the fact that I am a frequent NYC traveler.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Hotel Wales is among very few hotels in the upper east side of Manhattan. Its location was its most compelling feature for us. We took a junior suite which was spacious and offered a well equipped bathroom.
On the other hand, our king sized bed was in dire need of a new mattress. The window blinds in the bedroom area had pulls that didn't work. The window air conditioner was noisy. Let's see - any positives? Yes, well staff members were terrific and again, the location was superb.
During previous stays at the Wales, a small continental breakfast had been offered. This is no longer the case.
I do wish the owners would invest in a renovation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

me and my fiance stayed here during my sisters wedding, we enjoyed it very much the staff couldnt have done more for us very lovely people, the neibourhood was lovely, it was nice and quiet, the terrace was beautiful,the other good thing is you can take food up into your room if you dont feel like going out,the only criticism i would make was the air con is noisy but you can turn it off and there was no bath and the the doors do tend to slam a bit annoying when you are triying to sleep, but thats being picky, apart from that we had a lovely time and would deffinatley stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim B
Plano, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This lovely boutique hotel is in an excellent location and the value is amazing for New York. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. The rooms can be small but are very comfortable. Our family especially enjoyed the convenience of picking up delicious pastries next door at Sarabeth's and having a quiet leisurely visit over the complimentary coffee and tea in their lounge area. We also enjoyed the restaurants on the block and around the corner as well as the small grocery two doors down.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My first time at Hotel Wales. Boutique hotel in a cool part of town away from the hustle and bustle of midtown. Nice neighborhood feel. Rooms very resonably priced vesus midtown. I was in NYC on business and typcally my meetings are mid and downtown but hotel prices were ridiculous for some reason that night so I found Wales Hotel on the web. Friendly staff, nice upgrade to a King Suite which was very spacious overlooking Madison Ave with a glimpse of Central Park. A block away from Central Park and Resevoir which I love as I am a runner and close to the Met and Guggenheim. Staff very friendly and two great restaurants on each side of hotel (Paola-Italian and Island, a casual eclectic menu) If you are a light sleeper like me take earplugs (which they should give out at desk) or request a "quiet room" as traffic from Madison Ave at night can be a distraction. Is a bit of a hike from mid and downtown and if you have business meetings that way, give yourself plenty of time for cab or take the subway. I would definitely stay there again but most likely for personal visits. Highly recommended though!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business