“Nestled in one of NYC'S charming family neighborhoods!”
Review of Hotel Wales

Hotel Wales
Ranked #207 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Sits the Hotel Wales. it is a bit out of the way but fun to see how New Yorkers with families live. Most of the private schools are in Carnegie Hill so the neighborhood is loaded with families, kid friendly restaurants and clothing stores. It is a bus ride to mid town but a lovely one down Fifth Avenue. Fifth Avenue is one black from hotel!(Ask concierge where to get a "metro card" to make life on public trans easier!)
The hotel is old, the rooms not anything special but the staff is lovely and the price is right! it is also nice to come home to a quiet neighborhood after a day of sightseeing bustling NYC!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank patricia b
AsstFOM, Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Please be advised that the Hotel Wales is on Madison Avenue @ 92nd Street.
We are located 1-block away from Central Park, the museums along Fifth Ave, Madison Avenue shopping, restaurants. The theatre district is only a short cab ride away from us.

The Hotel Wales has a total of 86 sleeping rooms, half of them are suites. Our staff are on duty 24hours and they are always readily available to assist you with any hotel related services.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to our hotel.

Best Regards
AFOM

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We felt we drifted back in time when we walked into the lobby to this classy, elegant hotel. By no means does "old" come to mind. No stuffiness here. Dark wood furniture, warm tones and class all around. Cute quaint kitchen, large living room with a fireplace (for esthetic purposes only), queen sized bed with soft pillows and comforter. Small bathroom but we didn't mind. It was cute and clean. Bath soap smells heavenly. Complimentary coffee and tea all day. Hot cider in the lobby during the holidays. Sarabeth's kitchen, which is a well known brunch institution in NY provides the room service as well as the breakfast for the hotel. The big downside to this is that you MUST make a reservation for breakfast, even on a weekday. We weren't notified of this when we inquired at the front desk and it ended up being a 45 minute wait but couldn't go as we were limited on time. It was a big disappointment for me as I was really looking forward to it and had breakfast vouchers and couldn't use them. There were a few options in the neighborhood so we didn't leave hungry. Would definitely return!

2  Thank seekerofnewplaces
AsstFOM, Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Wales.

Please be advised that our mission is to consistently deliver high quality hospitality. It is our privilege to extend this service to all of our hotel guests. We value your comment regarding the care you've received at the Wales and look forward to welcoming you again.

Let me mention also that Sarabeth's Restaurant accepts reservations Monday thru Friday from 8am - 10pm only.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

We'd never been to the Hotel Wales before, but it only took 30 seconds for it to feel like home. The small, canopied entrance on Madison Avenue signalled no pretensions but the welcoming staff, nicely appointed room with fresh and stylishly designed bath exuded comfort and security right away.

We only had a night in this wonderful place, but will definitely come back.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor has all the general guest services, so rooms on the 3rd floor are just a short distanc...
1  Thank j26ec
AsstFOM, Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment regarding your experience, while in our care, at the Hotel Wales. We were quite pleased with your decision to make this your home, away from home. It is our mission to provide high quality service to all of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit to our hotel.

Happy Holidays!

Best Regards.
AFOM

Reviewed December 13, 2011

One of our worst experiences ever at any hotel.Checked into penthouse suite.No hangars,,heating system did not work.Had to bring in portable heater for 2 nights.No stopper to take bath.No hot water for bath or shower.Took a full day to turn around hot water.Inability to connect my I Pad.Clock did not work.Generally a comedy of errors.Everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel
7  Thank Sam l
AsstFOM, Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2011

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Wales. We were quite pleased to have had you as one of our guest..

Please be advised that we are currently experiencing quite a bit of unusual weather patterns here in the New York City area. Our room temperature is automatically controlled,based upon the daily forecast, which have been fluctuating since the start of the season. Portable heaters and extra blankets are available for the convenience of our guests. All of our guest rooms are generally stocked with hangers and lots of other amenities, I'm disturbed that you've experienced otherwise. Let me assure you that this isolated situation will be thoroughly investigated. Thank you for your comment and Happy Holidays! Regards, AFOM

Reviewed December 13, 2011

When you look at a hotel map of NYC, the Upper East Side has a handful of very expensive places and little else. The Wales is a happy exception. Our room was small, but a lot of hotel rooms in major cities are small. It was well sparkling clean, decorated in neutral colors and boasted a good tv, a safe, a handsome bathroom and a very comfortable bed with fine sheets. Sarabeth's is next door for breakfast. You don't even have to walk outside. Finally, the staff is efficient and friendly. Our room was ready at 12:30 pm... a nice extra.

1  Thank TriptheLifeFantastic
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have to say I have traveled to the Hotel Wales Many times with my family. We love is place where you can get away from all the busy stuff and tourist things from downtown and the park seconds away, which my kids enjoy along with the museums being so close. The Service great the utmost professional and warmest makes us feel like home away from home Staff knows our names and always available for any help specially the Front Desk and great advice and listeners when you even just want to talk about life and things. My most recent visit was on my own had a couple of business meetings and also enjoyed the positive experience and service. Great room a bit small but just right for this business man and the days I had to spend in New York, I like how the Queen Rooms have been renovated had not stayed in one since I usually stay with the family and get a King Suite which is a charm and very victorian style. The queen very different seems like a soho Hotel Modern quiet and just right for me. The service was great as usual even though I miss this Great Front Office Manager Edwin, who has moved up in position but his service has been the most exceptional, professional and warmest my family and I have experience in the world. My little girls asked for him when I got home and usually in the Hotel they are always asking is Edwin Downstairs he can help us. I wish the gentleman all the best and Front Desk really misses him I have to say service was good but one can tell Edwin was missing not fast and knowing what you need even before you approach them and just openly helpfull as he was but still great service overall in all departments. My Hotel Wales and Home away from home I believe is a treasure not everyone knows about in the world and I like it is my hidden get away!!!!

Room Tip: If you are looking for Quietness the Queen Superior , big size for a family a King Suite.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank allamo
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Horrible and expensive.
It stated 4 + stars but it is bearly a 2 star. The shower had two options, freezing or scalding. The room had no tub. It was small and I could not get my 2 night suitcase in the room without putting it on the bed because the distance from the bed from the door was too narrow. The "gym" was a large closet with four pieces of old equipment that did not open until 8 am, the time of my confereance and it closed before I got back from dinner. The elevator was tiny so I took the stairs. I was charged for internet services and I had to connect on the desk and stretch my arms to use my laptop as the chair for the desk was deep and low to the ground. I sat on a pillow to use it. There was no guide to tell me what was on TV and there were few channels. The steam heater clanged all night. The furniture was old and beaten up. The carpet was warn. The alarm clock was glued to the night-table and difficult to use with no instructions. I arrived at 8 pm and there was no bell hop. The printer in the business center was out of serice. They bragged about free coffee and tea 24/7. The cofee was stale. There was no lobby to sit and wait for someone other one small couch. The only redeaming feature is that it is a quick walk to Mt. Sinai Hospital but the other docs at the conferance avoided it because of similar stories. I could on but you get the idea and you can read my other reviews. This hotel sucks and it cost my $1000 for two nights with no food or amenities or bellhop services. They did not even prepare a check out bill and it took forever considering the only thing that I charged to my prepaid room was one day of internet services !

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Wales, it was a pleasure to have had you as one of our valued guest.

Please be advised that the Hotel Wales accommodation features 89 guest sleeping rooms, half of them are very spacious suites. Although most of our newly renovated guest bathrooms are equipped with shower stalls, bathtubs are available also. I would recommend that guest requiring a bathtub, should make the request known at the time of the reservation. It's always a pleasure for us to try our best to honor such request. I must also clarify that in addition to our lobby, we take pride in offering the use of our Carnegie Lounge area. This is privately located on our Mezzanine level where our gym is also available 24hour, each day, a guest room key is needed to access this space. We appreciate your comments, Happy Holidays! (AFOM)