“You are paying for the location only, not luxury.”

Trump International Hotel and Tower New York
Ranked #129 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at many Trump properties before, in particular the Trump in Honolulu and Trump Chicago just to name a couple. This property in NYC doesn't compare at all, as far as aesthetic go, but what one gets is location . Literally you are across the street from Central Park and loads of shopping (department stores, boutiques, and pharmacies) and eateries. The subway station/Columbus circle is a 45 second walk from the hotel lobby.

Regrading the property, the lobby and rooms are basic, but clean (although there was an attic like smell in hallways). They need updating - the bathrooms are still gold plated. The rooms do have a decent kitchenette and a big flat panel TV .

Again, if location is most important for you, then this is a good property for you. But if you are expecting luxurious accommodations, go elsewhere. It is possible that there are betters rooms, we stayed in a king superior I believe.

Not my favorite place, but a great location.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Wetravelthere
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback after your most recent stay. We are so glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel but sorry you felt the bathroom was outdated. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,332)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Had stayed in the Mandarin Oriental Central Park View Suite in March, so wanted to try another hotel in the Central Park area - chose Trump based on many positive reviews. Let me just say, these reviewers must really have low expectations. I booked the Executive Suite at the Trump, which is comparable in size/price to the Mandarin Oriental Suite. But in reality, there is simply no comparison. This hotel is old, outdated, and way overpriced for what you get.

The first joke is the lobby. It is probably the smallest, most cramped lobby of any hotel I have every stayed in, anywhere, period. So small, that people going to/from the 3 elevators have to bump into those checking in/out. There is a very small seating area as well, which sits at most 4 people, and it is only feet away from the front desk. I don't know the history of this building, but it appears (and based on room layouts as well) that this was never intended to be a hotel. I think there are residences and offices here as well, but the lobby is clearly not suitable for a hotel.

Joke 2, the keys. They are actual keys if you can believe that, not the cards that most every other hotel uses. You use your key for the elevator, and the same key to get into your room. Insert, turn...like in the old days. Very 1980s. Also, something that is more a hassle to lug around, and something you must now turn back in after leaving. And, not nearly as secure (see below).

Jokes 3, 4, 5 and 6.....the room. I don't know where to begin here. I'll start with the master bedroom closet, if you can call it that. Sliding glass doors that are directly across from the bathroom, so that it interferes with the opening/closing of the closet, which is very small. And one side of the closes have s small, useless chest of drawers, so that side of the closet is utterly useless for hanging anything. Which leaves just the other side, which is small, no lighting, and again, a huge hassles to open and close in relation to the bathroom door.

Now the bathroom, perhaps the biggest joke of all. The smallest, ugliest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel in this price range ($1,500+ a night). I felt like a complete fool for being duped by all these reviews (live and learn). And again, very 1980s. Very small bathtub/shower, with a rod and curtain, and a sink area with little room to put anything. Two people cannot be in there at once. There's a hall 1/2 bath, tough it is very dimly lite, and only provides handkerchiefs instead of real hand towels. The rest of the master bedroom has limited storage...all the drawers are very shallow, mostly useless. There is a tiny kitchen as well, which is somewhat pointless. And the living area is very uninspiring. The view is decent, though low (4th floor).

Room service breakfast - skip it. Greasy bacon, powdery eggs, and lukewarm coffee. Also, they forget part of the order. Oh, and the charge a mandatory tip, a very generous one, which was not conspicuously displayed on the door placard order card. Oh, and if you want to keep the chocolates they leave at your bedside, be sure to take them before they clean, as they will remove them. The bed was fairly comfortable, at least.

Room lacked an iron and ironing board. Upon calling to request one, they said check the closet (there are two closets, neither had it). They said they would send it up. Someone eventually came, only to tell me to look in the closes (wasting my time)...they then looked, and seemed surprised, and finally went to retrieve an iron and board.

Also, shortly after checking into the room, another bell-hop with luggage and guest opened my door (with those magical keys that fit every door) and asked me "oh, did you just check in?"..I'm like "uh, yeah"...then they apologized and scurried out.

This hotel is cramped, and dated...and doesn't even feel like a real hotel. I liked the Mandarin Oriental, though I wasn't crazy over it, but after the Trump, I gained a new appreciation for the MO and would go back there. The Trump's should embarrassed frankly to try to pass this off as something worthy of the "trumped" up image they have created with their name/brand.

Avoid it unless they do some serious renovations and modernize it, or they lower the price considerably. I suppose if they can get away with charging this, they will. For this location and price range, the MO is far better, and has a REAL lobby (I believe it was on or about the 40th floor), with room, and with a very nice lounge overlooking the Park...as well as facilities, spa, etc...none of which even stood out (if they exist at all) at the Trump.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
24  Thank George J
TIHT-NY, Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. Since we take all our guests’ comments very seriously, I have brought your feedback to the attention of the entire management staff, and addressed each mentioned issue with the departments involved, in an effort to prevent any similar occurrences from happening in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed for four nights and booked an Executive City Suite as we were a party of three. All the staff were very welcoming - we had a slight glitch when checking in but this was sorted out quickly and efficiently.

The room was fantastic! The large separate bedroom was lovely, as was the living area - the TVs were huge! Having a kitchen - a proper kitchen - was an added bonus. I am now converted - I will always try to book rooms with a kitchen from now on! We bought food at the Wholefoods Market across the road and cooked our own breakfasts (bacon, eggs, toast) which saved some ££s in New York. There was enough space in the fridge for our beer, butter, eggs, water, so we didn't need to dip into the very costly mini-bar. We were on the 8th floor facing the builings opposite, so not much of a 'city view' but the room made up for the lack of view.

Bathroom was good although operating the shower/bath was rather complicated and we couldn't open the bathplug (kitchen knife came in useful for this!). Also, no separate shower, which wasn't a huge issue but I'm sure they could fit one in if they changed the bathroom layout. Also, a bit more shelving/space on the basin stand would be an improvement too.

Went for a swim - pool and changing area was good. Didn't use the gym although it looked very impressive.

We used the sofabed in the living room, which was uncomfortable, but our main issue was the pillows! Very hard and lumpy which didn't give you a good night's sleep. Very odd for such a luxury hotel.

Location was very good for midtown/upper west side - right on the subway at Columbus Circle and easy to walk anywhere. We have also stayed at the Trump Soho and we prefer the Downtown area - Columbus Circle/Central Park area directly outside the hotel was packed with tourists and vendors. But once you're inside the hotel, its calm and quiet and you could really hide away in your room without needing to go outside at all!

The Trump International had a slightly more 'old school luxury' vibe than the Trump Soho, which has a younger clientele and is 'funky luxury'.

There were some small signs of wear and tear in the room, which you don't expect for this price - some stains and holes in the sofa, chunks of paintwork missing, although the room was beautifully clean. One gripe I have is that the fruit in our room wasn't replenished once in the four days we were there - when we arrived I picked away at the cherries, but they weren't so appetising four days later. Again, a small thing that could easily be fixed and for the price we paid....

However, my overall verdict is that this is a great hotel, and if they could just sort out a few small issues (pillows, fruit, wear and tear, shower cubicle) then it would be truly excellent. The doormen/bellboys and reception staff were excellent - always welcoming. We never made to feel uncomfortable in this high-end establishment, and the fact that we kept on returning with our Wholefoods bags was never an issue.

Stay here, its worth it!

Room Tip: Try to go higher otherwise you could be facing a brick wall.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for the feedback of your recent visit to the Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted to read your appraisal of our team, services. Thank you for recommending our hotel and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

3 of us had a one bedroom suite with fold out bed in living room. The fold out was not very comfortable but they brought us a second mattress to make it so. Every person was gracious and helpful. For a small fee, they pre-stocked our kitchen. Location is excellent.

Room Tip: Having a suite with kitchen saved money and time. For a small fee, they will stock the kitchen.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back. Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your time with us.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Just completed a three night stay and might I say how much it was a pleasure to receive some actual quality service whilst in the USA. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were treated like royalty. They greeted us upon name when leaving and returning from the hotel each time, acknowledgement of prior requests, made the hotel car available us to when the guy was just about to finish his shift. The business centre was easily accessible and my wife found her spa services to be very professional and of a standard the Trump name is based.
Our room was a lovely deluxe room on the 17th floor, actually the highest floor available and faced Central Park (this costs a little more), but is 100% worth it. Room 1704 I think. The concierge was very good and made efficient and professional transportation arrangements for us as a last minute thought (although the cost was slightly more than I could have achieved - but hey, we're on holidays right).
The only gripe if any was the noticeably small bathroom and lack of separate shower. The water pressure was also very weak and the bench space was not overly big for two people. This bathroom space was very similar to what you would find in Paris etc. I looked at some other room types and suites and the bathrooms did not look any bigger on the plans available vis the website but this was my only gripe.
A great hotel and we will have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: High Floor - 17 is the highest and face Central Park
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for the great review of your recent visit to the Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team, services and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at the Trump International Hotel as a family of four (two adults and two small children) for four nights. We upgraded ourselves to a 1-bedroom Executive City View room on check-in because we decided that we wanted the extra space. We chose the Trump International because it is a luxury hotel in a convenient location, comparatively large rooms, and rooms have a small kitchen that comes in handy when you travel with kids. Overall, the Trump International is a great place to stay if you are fortunate enough to be able to afford the rates. The rooms are upscale and spacious and the service was quite friendly and helpful. It’s a great family hotel.

We had a high-floor Executive City View which is supposed to be 700 square feet or so. That square footage holds a bedroom with a king sized bed, a full living room with a sleeper/sofa, a small kitchen with gas range, refrigerator, and dishwasher, and a full bathroom complete with a Jacuzzi bathtub. The room doesn’t feel giant, but you have to take the location into consideration … you are across from Central Park in New York City … space is bound to be at a premium. The décor is slightly over-the-top (lots of marble, granite, brass, and even a chandelier) … but you are at a Trump branded property, so I think that’s to be expected! All things considered, it’s a very nice room.

I found the service at the Trump to be fantastic. I was expecting stiff, even potentially stuffy service. The actual experience was far from that. The lobby staff were all friendly and personable, even whilst they delivered a high-level of service. The ease of the service made it a very welcoming place to call home for a few days.

The dining options are pretty limited inside the hotel, but this being New York, there’s a whole plethora of food options around the hotel. We used room service extensively, and found it to be adequate. I know that it’s branded as being from Jean Georges, the three-Michelin restaurant in the hotel, but the food wasn’t extraordinary. It was also pretty pricey to boot, so I was expecting more. Finally, there were two delivery misses during our stay where something was missing from our order. Again, not the end of the world, but when I’m paying these prices, my expectation is higher. Another good dining option is self-cooking because there is a Whole Foods Market right next door in the Time Warner Center.

The hotel also has a nice indoor lap pool that guests can use. I was a little concerned that it would be more of an adult environment, but I found many kids taking advantage of it. The hotel has pool toys available for use, and it’s actually staffed by a lifeguard. The only downside for the smallest kids is that the pool is four feet deep on the shallow end. The pool is also attached to a really nice Sauna / Steam room. I didn’t have time to use it, but looks to be great!

In summary, the Trump International in New York is a great luxury hotel that provides spacious rooms (by New York standards) and a high level of inviting service. The spaciousness and the kitchen also make it particularly great for families looking for a high-end hotel experience. You do pay for the privilege of staying here, but I found it very much worthwhile.

2  Thank PoodleRank

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review from your most recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York. I was so pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our location, newly renovated spa and gym facilities. Thank you for commending our staff and kid-friendly services. We do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Nice hotel. Rooms are a little small but nicely done up and very clean. The overall hotel is very nice and the service and staff are great. The go above and beyond and do it without expecting a tip for every little thing

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Darby N

Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park and for taking the time to post a positive review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.