“So You Think You Can Dance?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trump International Hotel and Tower New York

Trump International Hotel and Tower New York
Ranked #108 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“So You Think You Can Dance?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Ever notice how front of house staff at 5 star luxury hotels are just like guests at a wedding on the dance floor??

You know what I'm talking about don't you? - That moment at the wedding when everyone gets up to dance and at that moment you get to witness a range of ability and expertise ranging from John Travolta right down to the timing of an alarm clock that went down with the Titanic, or an epileptic version of Donald Duck. - They all get the same music to dance to, they all have the same surface to dance on, but some people, they just don't know how to dance!

And so it is with luxury hotel front of house staff commencing when you check in. The hotel is the dance floor and the front of house staff are all doing their best to dance to that hip tune " Five star luxury service"

Thats where we come in, we're the people at the wedding watching the dancing. The FOH staff at the other luxury hotels we have stayed at are all the other people dancing. - Thats how we know when we are watching John Travolta on check in or some poor schmuck who just doesn't know how to dance.

So, the Trump? - can they dance?? - Well, this was our fifth visit in recent years, mainly because we wanted some more Travolta action similar to the last times we stayed there. This time was a little different....... but overall very good.

We booked through AEXP Centurion FHR program, which value adds the stay by including late/early check ins/outs ( early is subject to availability) We had booked a two hour spa session in the hotel spa from 3.30PM followed by an early dinner at Jean Georges at 6.30PM - ( better to book there the day you are born to ensure you have contacted them early enough to get a table, as in five visits this was the first time we had been able to secure a table despite attempting to book several months out!!)
We arrived at the hotel at 2.30PM on schedule and on check in we met a nice lady who did not know how to dance. " your room will not be ready until the standard check in time of 3.00PM" she announced with all the gusto of a third world country dictator!! - we explained about the need to unpack,shower and then run up an obscene bill at the hotel spa and restaurant. - however, at this point it became apparent that I was dancing with someone who was stepping all over my feet! - Ouch !!

Now its true the standard check in time is 3.00PM, however just like dancing, its all about finesse and style. - It doesn't matter how bad the tune is that you are dancing to its all about looking good while you dance to it. - and so back to my new dance partner at the check in. " Dear sir" she said " I wish to advise'" she said. " I have already informed you" she said. - Yes, I understand the problem,however I have always believed you catch a lot more flies with sugar than vinegar and she was spilling that nasty vinegar all over the place while she was dancing all over my feet!! - then wifey got all upset, please don't upset my wifey, I don't like that !

So, the wife and I limped off to the restaurant next to reception to lick all the wounds on our poor sore feet and chill out while our new friend at reception rehearsed some fresh dance moves. 15 minutes later we returned and the new moves paid off. - Our suite was now ready for invasion ! - Where's John Travolta when you need him? Why couldn't we have danced with him on check in? - Would have been a much happier first dance.

Anyway, moving right along now...... Lets talk about the rest of our dance card at the Trump which, as usual was full. The Spa, can they dance?? - Yeah, baby they can dance. We like deep tissue massage, I asked to be treated like a farm animal and my therapist obliged. - Ahhh, just what I needed. - Both wifey and I found ourselves with dance partners who busted all the moves, wow !!

Off to Jean Georges then for dinner. Now the set up here is interesting.. The front desk for the restaurant is in an airlock at the front of the hotel next to reception, it's like a small square fish bowl. Behind the desk are three staff to meet and greet ( why three,who knows?), when we arrived they were keen to dance, but there was no room to, so they had to pick up a phone and announce our arrival to yet another front of house person some distance away in the restaurant. - Then we all just stood there for ( seemed like for eva), like half sucked candy bars waiting to be digested, an unfinished symphony, it was like being stuck in an elevator making awkward conversation because you are all just standing there together staring at each other waiting for someone to come and get you out of there. - Interesting???

Once inside, we found out these guys, they not only know how to dance, they must run masterclasses in it. The front of house staff?? - Outstanding, just like any true professional they make spoiling you stupid look easy - it was like poetry in motion. - The chef, he's a guru, he could teach Travolta a few new steps. - No doubt. - You might have to book light years ahead to eat here, but do it, its well worth the effort. - " May the force be with you"

Our suite, what a dance floor!! - More like a stage really... We attained our usual 1 bedroom on the corner suite ( suite 8 on each floor of the hotel) - Why so pedantic? These suites have bedrooms facing Central Park and a Lounge facing both Central Park as well as Columbus Circle and a great view down the Avenues. Beautifully furnished, tastefully decorated, light and airy is how I would describe our suite. - A flatscreen TV the size of a city block in both the bedroom and the lounge are nice additions. - Trust me, this is the dance floor you want !

Location: - Dude, this is the Studio 54 of luxury hotels in Manhattan.Right across the road from Central Park !! - Where else would you want to dance?

The rest of the stay was without mishap, our dance card exhausted, it was time to go. - Off to the next dance !

Room Tip: Get a suite No. 8 on each floor if you go for a 1 bedroom Park View suite. - Best views in the house...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank RelaxWithMax
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest, I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions after your recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park. Thank you for sharing your feedback and for recommending our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Princeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I entered the Trump International Hotel this past evening with my nine-year old son, who after a very long trip, was in desperate need of a restroom. Upon approaching the front desk, I was immediately informed that unfortunately there are no restrooms in the public areas of the hotel, and instead was directed to the in-house Jean Georges restaurant. I am familiar with Jean Georges, a restaurant that would hardly be my first choice to take my 9 year old to eat let alone to the restroom, under the circumstances, I followed the front desk representative's lead. The host there was equally and astonishingly insensitive to my son's needs and refused to allow him to use the restroom even after several pleas. While I might have expected this had I come in myself, and I admit albeit dressed properly, I was sans sports jacket at the time; but what kind of person and establishment denies a child the use of a restroom?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
26 Thank Jabber5
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest, We are very sorry for this occurrence. We have brought the behaviour of the restaurant host to the attention of Jean-Georges management. Again, we do apologize for this.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had two rooms with great views overlooking Central Park. Each room had a kitchen and the rate was a super value, especially when compared to the other hotels in this area. The hotel was sparkling clean throughout and the staff was amazing. They couldn't do enough for us and they were all so pleasant and helpful. The rooms feel fresh and clean and have up to date decor and linens. The bed and pillows were so comfortable. The location is fantastic and the courtesy car is a great benefit, the doorman had the car take us to the theatre! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone and I will definitely stay at this excellent location again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park and for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back. Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your time with us.
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were in town opening our first Broadway show at Lincoln Center. We were staying for two weeks with our little dog. They offer suites with kitchenettes that are very handy.The hotel and staff were flawless. I was a former NY concierge in my past life for over 20 years. I know NYC hotels and most concierge. Carlos(chef concierge) is a true star. And his staff all take great pride in their positions and it shows. Reception team are extremely friendly and helpful. Trust them all to make your stay comfortable and hassle free. They do offer a hotel car for around town drops. But, you have subways, taxis and of course Central park at your doorstep.(great for the dog).
A quick shout out to our Housekeeper Larissa. Not only was the suite immaculately kept. Just a genuine gem of a person. Loved my little Pomeranian.
Yes, a little pricey. But, you get what you pay for. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Minervaprod
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park and for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of your recent visit. We are delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel and thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

You cant get a better position if you like to be near Central Park. This tower has fabulous views from the higher floors. The decor is pure 80s and you feel like you are living in Ivana's earrings. Fun.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank James B
TIHT-NY, General Manager at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your most recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park. I was so pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed our newly renovated guestroom facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My stay wasn't flawless (nothing worth mentioning)... but this was everything you would expect from a high end hotel. The facility was very nice, modern rooms with some nice automation features in the lighting and shades. I has a suite overlooking central park, and the location is had to beat. The staff were very polished and professional (not "stuffy" as such) but what you would expect from a 1K per night hotel.... I literally didn't get a chance to touch the handle on the front door.

What was unexpected was the letter from the manager, apologizing for the couple of slight deficiencies I encountered, after I completed their online survey. This speaks very highly of their dedication to perfection, and customer service.

My first stay at a Trump Hotel, and it did not disappoint.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent visit to Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for a week with friends, and I can't speak highly enough of the excellent staff. The service provided by every staff member was truly remarkable, making our vacation one to really remember! What adjectives would I use? Friendly, helpful, attentive, detail-oriented, professional, thoughtful, just to name a few. The location was perfect, the accommodations lovely, but what set this hotel apart was the spectacular service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank snorklesoul
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your rave review of Trump International Hotel and Tower New York-Central Park. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.