“Very basic budget hotel”

Travel Inn Hotel New York
Ranked #341 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I can't say that this hotel was bad but it definitely isn't anything more than average.
The rooms are seriously outdated, but that didn't really matter too much because we didn't spend a lot of time in the room.

CONS
-Room is lacking an in room safe
-beds only have two pillows each, instead of the standard four, so if your sharing a bed you only have one pillow.
-the blankets on the beds are not comfortable and are very tacky
-parking costs 20$ a day (NOT FREE), and you will pay an extra 10$ if you arrive early.
-some rooms open directly to outside.
-the gym was abysmal, there was one bench and it was broken. Had to be the worse gym I've ever seen in a hotel.
-didn't offer any type of free wifi in the lobby like most hotels do.

PROS
- the water pressure was one of the best
- the location was good
- staff was alright
-price was the best, but it was still very expensive for the type of hotel it was, even considering the fact that its NYC.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank jodyw89
Write a ReviewReviews (1,832)

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is located perfectly at 42nd street, in Hells Citchen, just a 5 minutes walk to Times Square and Peer 83, where the Circle Line Cruises start. There are lots of nice restaurant in Hells Citchen (on 9th Av.) and all the theatres of Theatre district in walking distance.
The rooms are rather old but clean.
But I have to say that the employees of the hotel seem to be not at all interested in your convenience or well-being. I missed sone kindness there. (At least we payed quite a bit for that stay.)

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days in a two double-bed room. It was more than we expected. The room was very clean and comfortable. The location is great ( only 10 minutes to Time Square) and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The only drawback is that there is no free internet ( you have to pay $6 per day) and the street is a little bit noisy with the traffic outside. Other than that, everything is pleasant and enjoyable. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BnRKz
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I Stayed here for Easter 2014 & unfortunetly only stayed 1 night as i had already booked into somewhere closer to Time Square, was a lovely hotel in a quiet area and not far from Time Square at all, maybe 10 minutes walk, lovely wee cafe right downstairs. Both men at Reception were extremely pleasant, we got a newly renovated room, 2 double beds which were really comfortable. Great shower, bathroom very modern. We also had a fridge & a microwave which our next hotel didn't have either & it was double the cost to stay there..

If you are going to New York, don't mind a 10 Minute walk to time square then i would definetly recommend staying here & i would again. Wifi was only $6 and i found it was fast enough for what i needed it for. Was extremely clean & we were on the 3rd Floor facing the main road.

Will i stay here again, yes i most certainly will..

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann D
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed at the Travel Inn from 4/30 to 5/3. The check-in was quick with no problems. The staff was friendly. Upon entering my room, I found the temperature was 79 degrees. I turned on the air conditioning to cool the room, but found it just got hotter and hotter. I quickly tracked down a manager who informed me that the air hasn't been turned on yet, but they would send up a fan. Luckily, I found the windows do open which definitely helped cool the room since it was cool outside.

The bathrooms have recently been renovated. It's small with very little shelf space, but very clean. The hot water is plentiful. The beds are comfortable. There is a refrigerator and microwave in the room, but there is no coffee pot.

The hotel is only two blocks from a subway stop and right across the street from the police station. I'd definitely stay here again (and hope the air was working at that time).

Room Tip: Make sure the windows open.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Robin M
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I stayed at the Travel Inn recently on a girls weekend in city. The location was perfect, an easy walk to Times Square and all the theatres and restaurants. Also an easy and fairly inexpensive taxi ride to other attractions such as battery park, central park and the 9/11 memorial. The room was nothing fancy but was clean and the staff provided the extras we needed to be comfortable. Negatives included a $6 charge per day for wifi access and charges to use the computer in the lobby. Also, they advertise a concierge service but nobody seemed available to help us. The deli next door was good and provided convenient and inexpensive choices for breakfast and dinner. Overall, a good place to stay in the city and we plan to definitely stay here next time we visit NYC.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back facing the pool for quiet at night.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deb D
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Yes, there was a mouse in my room. But I am still here for one more night. I chalk the mouse up to the fact that we are in NY and well, they outnumber people in the city. Didn't seem like this was a regular occurrence for the staff which reassured me a bit. The place is clean and staff has handled the situation well enough (helped me collect my stuff and moved me to another room on another floor). Unfortunately my new room is not renovated like my first one was, but as long as it is mouse free, I still like it better.

• Stayed: May 2014