“Parking Included on 42nd Street”

Travel Inn Hotel New York
Ranked #339 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel on Saturday night. The location is great, just off Time Square and the included parking is a nice benefit. Our room had two queen beds and was quite comfortable. Not a five start hotel but certainly not a dump. When in New York the room is the last place and was comfortable at the end of a long day!

• Stayed: December 2012
MILO928, Public Relations Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed in this hotel whilst on a college trip to New York. It was very clean and spacious (this is taking into consideration that there was 4 teenage girls sharing a double double room). The Diner downstairs was amazing, i loved it, really nice food and very cheap. The staff are very nice and extremely helpful.

My only issue with this hotel was the fact that we had a very drippy tap and had to keep a towel under it to stop the noise. Other than that it was a very nice hotel and good value for money.

Room Tip: We loved our room with two double beds, very spacious and comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GabbiSixx
MILO928, Public Relations Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments and we look forward to your next stay. On your next stay, please always let us know about plumbing issues or problems as we can fix this pretty quickly.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

There are many worse hotels in New York, and of course many far better ones, but Travel Inn is an acceptable choice if you find a very good rate online and want to save your travel budget for entertainment. This is a drab and dispiriting hotel, in need of renovation, but overall clean and minimally comfortable.
Room: not overly small for NY; bed is old style hard with poorish linens. Furnishings are average, but new flat TV has sufficient channels. The worst element is the total lack of control over heat/cooling (minimum fan control) and I was glad to be able to open the window.
Bathroom: very small but new enough; hot water always available; lighting good.
Location: Not bad on 42nd/10th Ave., easy walk to several theaters, good subway access within two blocks, several breakfast choices in easy range.
Summary: This is a bargain-hunter's hotel, and acceptable at a low price. I will add that I was travelling alone and felt safe and secure in the hotel and vicinity.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for an interior room facing in on the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We recently stayed here and were not unhappy with our stay. It was very clean..but thats about it. We booked a king room and got 2 dbls....the bathroom we had was VERY small...and the room was extremely hot with no temperature control.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LadyBug0020
MILO928, Public Relations Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments and let me apologize if there were any glitches in your stay regarding your reservation. I ask you in the future to immediately ask for our Management staff who will be sure to fix your problem right away.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I go to Manhattan often and am always looking for good deals on hotels. In the city, they are few and far between so I usually stay in either Queens or across the Hudson in NJ. I've stayed in this hotel twice because I've gotten a good price. If you pay over $130...it's too much for this place and you're better off staying out of the city at a better hotel.

Cons:
There is no free internet. There is a computer in the lobby and they have WiFi, for a fee. Seriously.
There is no free breakfast. The pillows are uncomfortable. The elevator is v-e-r-y slow and there is only 1 for each side of the building. Smoking is allowed at the pool area which was horrible to breathe, while lying out trying to relax. The front desk staff(and garage person) aren't friendly or helpful AT ALL. They actually made me feel like I was annoying them if I had to ask a question. I noticed they were nicer toward Europeans. If you're American, you're out of luck for some helpfulness. I sat and observed that this was not just toward me.
Pros:
Loved the pool area itself. Lots of chairs and the area is pretty. If not for the chain-smoker, it would have been perfect. I love the location of the hotel. Not the neighborhood itself, it's a little sketchy, but it is safe. I've never felt afraid walking, even at night. I do love the fact that it's just about a 10 minute walk to the theater district and from there...the rest of Manhattan!

Would I stay here again? Yes. For the amount of time you actually spend needing nice people at the front desk, elevator usage, or the internet...it's worth it if you pay under $130.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This location is only 2 avenues from a major subway hub which makes getting around simple, and they also offer free parking. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the theater district and Times Square.

The rooms are clean and accommodating, but they do get very warm in the colder months and you have no control over the heat.

The rollaway beds are more comfortable then other places I've stayed and cost $15 extra a night.

Also, the water pressure in the showers is AWESOME and the bathrooms don't get humid after taking a hot shower so you can easily dry and change without that "sauna" feeling.

• Stayed: November 2012
MILO928, Public Relations Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We booked the last room for a work trip. Check in was easy and the room was very basic. It was dated, but wasn't dirty. The one elevator was broken and it took forever for the second one. We just did a quick overnight stay and can't really complain but there are definitely better hotels.

The pillows are rocks! Bring your own if you like soft pillows. We were on the third floor and could hear the garage door opening and closing.

Note that we paid a very discounted rate due to points through hotels.com. Based on our price it wasn't a bad value but I wouldn't have paid any more.

Room Tip: Higher floors don't hear the garage door opening and closing (I'm guessing)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business