“OK place to stay in NYC”

Travel Inn Hotel New York
Ranked #339 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Tallinn
“OK place to stay in NYC”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed in Travel Inn with my 2 friends. Room was with 2 double beds. These could be bigger, because it's little too small for 2 people. Room was clean, but needs a little update. Elevators were slow. Location is good.
We didn't like the WIFI sytem. For every 24 hours we had to ask a new code and only one of us could use that. Coming from Estonia, we are used to having free internet everywhere.
I think for this value it's ok place to stay in New York.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Falls Church, VA USA
Reviewed October 29, 2012

After reading many reviews of the Travel Inn on this web site, my husband and I stayed there for two nights. We paid a total of $466 -- and had free parking for our car in the garage next door to the Inn. Pretty incredible! Our room (#423) was "on a terrace," a small wing of the building that overlooks the outdoor swimming pool. It was a basic hotel room that was clean, the linens were nice and the shower was good. There was a "diner" next door for basic meals, snacks or take out. Front desk staff was moderately friendly and helpful.

Since we weren't going to spend much time in the room it was fine, except for the tremendous whooshing noise of the air flowing into the bathroom vent. It can't be shut off; It was so noisy that it was loud even with the bathroom door shut. I was told that because the room was 'on the terrace' the air from the outdoor hallway created the strong draft that flowed into the bathroom vent. You can't control the heating/cooling in your room; there is one setting for the entire building so our room was a little chilly all the time because of the draft.

The hotel is on 42nd Street but pretty far west of the main tourist areas of Broadway and Fifth Avenue. (It's a mile from the property to Fifth) so bring your walking shoes. If you want a good meal close to the Inn, try the West End Cafe on 42nd close to 9th Ave. They have a nice menu and the quality of the food and service is good.

We plan to stay at the Travel Inn again but only if we can get a promise from the hotel that we will not be in a room on the terrace.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is located on the interior hallways not on the wings of the building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here with my friend as a short notice quick shopping trip. We stayed here for 2 unfortunate nights. We were given a double room with one double bed for us to share, (luckily my friend and I have had to do this before so therefore we were ok with this although not very suitable). The room was much below standard it resembled a hostel. The bathroom was clean but extremely basic with the bare minimum. The hotel was full so they were unable to move us as that weekend was a very busy one in New York. The next day we complained as we had a terrible night as all through the night we kept hearing banging and all sorts of noise, we were able to move rooms. We were given a double room but again very basic. The hotel was very small so therefore there was no breakfast or food at all, there was a cafe next door that was linked to the hotel. On the first day we had breakfast there it's a very basic and local cafe so we planned on having breakfast there again the next day. Big mistake. We turned up for breakfast and ordered the same meal as the day before, as the waiter bought my food over I noticed a long hair strapped across my omelette and under my toast, to my hurry I called the waiter over and advised him of this, he was very apologetic and told me that he would get the chef to make me a fresh meal. I felt sick and refused to eat anything else. A very horrid experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay here

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Atlanta
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Travel Inn was a very clean, nice hotel. Conveniently located - a quick walk or bus ride from Times Square. Convenient to transportation, restaurants.
Hotel was quite and very clean. Stayed 6 nights and had no issues.
Recommend this hotel for a pleasant visit to NY.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MILO928, Public Relations Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for your review and we look forward to many more stays to come
Pasadena, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The rooms were clean, and the location was great, but the elevators didn't work more than half the time! We were on a trip with our two mothers, who shared a room on a separate floor, and both had walkers. The elevators worked so irregularly that they had to walk downstairs, and the management could have cared less!! The employees seemed to care and try to help, but the management did nothing. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the rooms didn't seem secure. In our moms' room the latch on the door was so loose that I just pulled on the door once accidentally with it latched and it practically fell off. I was worried about them in their room. Luckily, we only had one night there. We would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is safe!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MILO928, Public Relations Manager at Travel Inn Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for your review and let me begin by apologizing for our elevator issues while here. To ensure our guests comfort, we are in the midst of putting in a brand new elevator and this may have been partly the problem. Regarding security, we employ a security department that is on 24 hours a day for our guest safety. In the future, please call our our Manager if you have any doubts of security in the rooms as we want every guest to feel like they are at home when visiting us. I do hope you give the Travel Inn a second chance in the future.
Abita Springs, Louisiana
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Hotel located just three blocks from Times Square and walking distance to several major New York attractions. Greatest benefit is the free parking in secure parking garage. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable. Rooms on street side are a little noisey from the constant traffic, The hotel has no continental breakfast, but there are several deli's in same block, and one right next door. Resturaunt on corner will deliver to room for small up fee. Felt very safe as NYPD station right across street from hotel. Would recommend this hotel if you are driving and room rates are reasonable. Would definitely stay here again on a return visit to NYC.

Room Tip: If a little noise from traffic, and possible street maintenance bothers you, ask for a room on the b...
1 Thank Paul L
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your stay and I am so happy that all was to your liking. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Newfoundland
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel summer 2012. It was a good experience. Hotel is very clean, as was previously mentioned, you can easily smell the cleaners when you enter the lobby! The room we stayed in was small, as was the bathroom, but it was sufficient for 2 people. It is in a great location. Less than 5 minute walk to Times Square which was convenient but outside of Times Square so you didn't have to deal with the noise and disruptions. I found some of the staff to be rude and not very helpful. Internet was not of good quality. Free parking which is uncommon for NYC. Nice outdoor pool. Very slow elevators. I read one review that was complaining about the noise from the train going under the hotel. We actually listened and tried to hear it. There was once that we thought maybe that was what we heard but couldn't be sure as it definitely wasn't loud or disturbing. When I return to New York I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelL0ver69
Thank you for your great review and look forward to your return. The Travel Inn stands as the only hotel in Manhattan that offers free parking and we look at this as a great asset and benefit for our guests.

Management