“Nothing special!”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #263 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I spent 3 nights at Waldorf Astoria, as a final stop of a leisure trip to Japan. We had requested an early check-in when we made our reservation and the room was available upon arrival (around noon). Front staff was professional and efficient, but could be more friendly. Lobby is very elegant, but many events take place in the hotel convention rooms, so it can be quite confusing and noising. Room was big and its décor was quite dated, and so was the bathroom. There is not a free internet access in the room nor a safe, which is unacceptable for the price you pay for staying there. The hotel has a “dress code” for public areas after 6pm, which could be nice in past decades, but nowadays it seems outdated and presumptuous. I confess I got a little disappointed with my experience in this hotel and, for the price they charge, I am sure it can be possible to stay in much better hotels.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (11,552)

Reviewed October 14, 2010

The lobby here is gorgeous, but our room was a little shabby, cramped, and had no view, even though we were eligible for an upgrade. And if this place is supposedly known for service, well, I guess I am not used to the New York concept of service.

We had no cold water and just a trickle of hot water coming out of the tap in the vanity for the first two days, despite repeated calls to fix it. They finally stopped answering our calls completely and I had to go to the lobby and ask for a manager.

The concierges always seemed rushed. And when we asked to stash our bags upon checkout, the clerk told us to go to the bell desk, but the bellman looked annoyed and told us we had to take them downstairs to the luggage check room ourselves.

The Starbucks in the lobby is a total madhouse just about any time of the morning, and one of the guys working there was downright mean. The hotel bar is a joke, meant for the high-paid financial guys, not for the tourists who are paying a pretty penny already to stay there. We shared a teeny tiny $16 Waldorf salad one evening at the Peacock Alley bar and the waiter had obvious contempt for the fact that we didn't immediately order a $20 cocktail, so he never came back until he delivered the salad. And then he was gone forever. I had to leave my lounge seat and go up to the bar to get my water refilled. He completely ignored another table as well.

When we checked out, we complained about the water issue in the room, and the clerk said she would give one of us (I traveled with a friend) a free upgrade next time we stayed. Um, no. 1, there will not be a next time, and no. 2, couldn't you just take something off the bill? She finally took off the crappy salad and the ginger ale my friend had. Yahoo.

Everything was so pricey here it was almost laughable. Sunday brunch is $95. A burger at the bar is $28. Don't even think about going into the minibar; a small bottle of water is $12, to give you an idea. I realize it's hoity-toity, but puh-leeze, even people with lots of money resent being ripped off.

My friend had her heart set on staying here, so I'm glad we had the experience, but it's one of those things that you do just to say you did it. I wouldn't do it again. I would have been fine just walking through it. The area is convenient, but it's packed with other nice hotels; I had great service one night in the lobby bar at the W just behind the Waldorf.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2010

From beginning to end our stay at The Waldorf was fabulous ! Our Superior room was spacious, clean and the bed very comfortable. This is an old hotel and the historical atmosphere is worth a walk through even if you don't want to stay.
If you love Art Deco you will love this place! The doormen were very helpful and friendly in getting us taxi's. As far as location, it can't be beat! I will be back the next time I come to NY.
Reserve The Sunday Brunch, you will not be disappointed! :)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank beinhappy
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Waldorf for three night on a special trip to New York from the UK. First impression wasn't good when the bellboy told us there was a 20 minute wait for the luggage to be moved from the cab to the lobby. We struggled with our cases and eventually signed in. At first glance the room looked quite good. It was large with two double beds. We wanted to have a bath but there was black 'gunge' coming out of the plug hole and it smelt mouldy. I rang housekeeping and was told someone would be there immediately. After 45 minutes I phoned again and was told someone had been up. When I informed her that nobody had been to the room she said she would send someone again. It turned out the doorbell wasn't working!!! It took another visit the next day to get rid of the 'gunge' The beds were very comfortable and clean and we slept well. Next morning we had breakfast in 'Oscars' which was very good.
After lunch we arrived back at the hotel to find our room was very cold. I again phoned housekeeping to be told the boiler had broken down and they would send up a blow fire!!! This duly arrived but after an hour all the power went off and my daughter and I sat under the duvets to keep warm - ridiculous !! The wardrobe wouldn't shut because it was warped and the carpet and some of the furniture had seen better days. This was not the basic room - we had paid for a superior room!
Beware of the mini bar - on checking my credit card on my return there was an item for $17+ added. We hadn't even opened the mini bar during our stay. I noticed someone else on these reviews had the same problem but for more $!! The hotel has since refunded this amount. The public rooms in the hotel are fantastic and the Sunday Brunch in Peacock Alley was very good.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Speges
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I loved the Waldorf Astoria it was very beautiful the people were nice people they greeted us with the up most respect anything we needed they were right there to make sure we had it i would definitely be going back i am taking my kids to see the tree at rockefellar center

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Celebrated both our birthdays by booking into the Waldorf Astoria. We noted this on our reservation & they couldn't have been more accomodating. Sent us a fruit platter and bottled water complimentary. Our room was just renovated and beautiful. Marble bathroom, bed linens, etc. We had gotten tickets for the exclusive "Chamber Magic" show that is presented in a suite at the hotel & it was fun. After the show had drinks and late night supper at Peacock Alley. Very sophisticated!! On Sunday we opted for brunch next door at the Church Courtyard. Defintely recommend it!!! Overall, a 5 star experience. Only negative -- Parking is every expensive.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kroywen1
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel which is grand but very cozy. The staff are very friendly. I met the sales director and she is so pleasant and very informative. They make you feel at home away from home..

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business