“bring your pants” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #268 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Michigan
“bring your pants”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

We made a quick two night trip to NYC for my wife's birthday. We booked on-line and took them up on their offer of an upgrade if available at check in. I agreed to all three upgrade options and we wound up getting two bedroom suite. The rate was $329/night.

Clearly part of why we stayed at the Waldorf was its storied past. Indeed, the lobby oozes of old time class. Although I'm not sure how strictly enforced, they ask all men to wear slacks and a collared shirt after 6 pm. The room was comfortable, but the bathroom kind of small. Also no wireless internet in the room. (The room is wired and the lobby has wireless.)

The hotel is close to a subway stop and an easy walk to Radio City, etc., but there really weren't a whole lot of shopping places or restaurants right nearby.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,971)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

This hotel is undeniably gorgeous and luxe! Probably the most elegant hotel I've stayed at. Although you must remember that it is old. During our stay the plumbing was a small problem, but the helpful staff fixed it right away. It boasts the best brunch in New York City and psssttt- you can see famous people here!! It is VERY VERY VERY expensive though, and is not a usual business class hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

We just returned from three nights at the Waldorf. We did not stay in the tower rooms, just the regular one. Due to the varried reviews here, there must be some older and some redecorated rooms. Ours looked to be recently redecorated. Nice bathroom with a real medicine cabinet with shelves. That was a plus for me. The beds were very comfortable and clean. It is an older hotel, but kept up nicely I thought. The staff was extremely helpful.

Only problem I encountered was when I booked (through their web site). I realized I put down wrong info (which did NOT change price in any way). I called the customer service number to update the info and she rebooked me at $100 more! I called them back and after speaking to numerous people, the manager at Waldorf corrected their error. I also declined the minibar key at checkin (and made them note this on my account). I have heard of numerous problems with minibars and didn't want to argue about this.

london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

The rooms were appaling, dirty and small. We had booked for 4 adults and were given a room with 2 small beds then told there was nothing else available. This place is really living on it's name now and needs millions spent on bringing it up to date. The rooms are dark and dingy, the bathrooms are dreadful and dirty. The lobby is nice but thats about the only thing they have spent money on. The restaurant is extortionate and not even that good. Not recommended. The location is OK though.

aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

Stayed at the Astoria, found it a great hotel and excellent location.

The Greyline bus tour stops at the door, so very handy on that front

The hotel is one ofthe historic ones in NYC, and on 49th Street, quite close to Rockafeller centre and 5 mins from Broadway, Times square is about 10 mins walk.

Room was clean, spacious and that's all we really needed, we ate out for all meals as we thought breakfast was expensive.

If there's flags outside on the flagpoles, check out the country flags. that means a senior official from that country is staying, since the UN is close by.

Hotel staff efficient, liked the business centre with 10 mins free for all airline online checkin sites, so a great help.

Would def go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

You used to be the pinnacle of luxury and you were such a disappointment. I arrived and I waited in the longest check in line I have ever seen and I travel every week for work - but this was my first time at this hotel. The entrance was grand but the rooms were very drab, wallpaper was pealing off from the bathroom walls, the rooms were outdated and the carpet had a weird feel to it in my room. I was in RM 2528 which was a corner kink delux room. I was very disappointed and it is not worth the money at all.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor I changed my reservation from the regular Waldorf Astoria room to the Towers. I am soooo glad I did. The difference is amazing! It is almost a seperate hotel with it's own "Private" entrance off the street and a private entrance in the hotel lobby. There is a special private check in desk for the Towers. I got a really great deal on Expedia and was very excited upon check in to find out I had been upgraded to an Executive Suite on a Concierge level. The room was huge (for NYC standards) with a beautiful marble foyer and seperate living room and bedroom. I had a large walk in closet + a coat closet in the foyer and a butlers kitchen with a full size refrigerator, sink, etc. There was a nice size flat screen TV in the living room and one in the bedroom. The room was very elegant and had a feel of "old style" New York. I have stayed at more modern hotels in NYC with beautiful accomodations however this felt more like NYC and definitely very elegant.
The concierge level offers a special room that serves a light breakfast including cereals, breads, fruit, and boiled eggs. There was coffee, juice, and water available. There is no afternoon service as with most concierge hospitality rooms I have experienced and the room was always very crowded. One of my travel companions was turned away one morning and offered a voucher for the lobby breakfast on the main level. Although it was very crowded the staff made every attempt to keep things stocked and were always very helpful and polite even when the guests were not. We were asked everyday if our expectations were met as we left. One staff said to me "we want you to leave happy". Considering the crowd and how rude some of the guests were to the staff, I was impressed with their attitude.
The staff were wonderful and the service was exactly what you would expect from the Waldorf. My only issue was that the floors were really slick and I fell in the foyer one evening. We called for ice and it took over 30 minutes for them to bring it up. (no self serve ice machines on the concierge level) Other than that this was a truly wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business