“Very Disappointing”

Ranked #256 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, WA
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I stayed at the Waldorf for two night on business. I was quite excited because of its history and name, but came away disappointed. I stayed on the 6th floor, the room was small, view of a brick wall, dated furniture and no wireless internet. I ordered room service for room service, 2 eggs/coffee and juice and it was $53. For the price, there are a ton better options and I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,984)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bedfordshire
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We were 'upgraded' to this hotel by our travel agents, so found ourselves based here for a two-night stay by happy accident. Our room was allocated to us on arrival at 10.30am and we were delighted to discover it was a very spacious twin room decorated traditionally (lots of florals going on!). The bathroom was somewhat dated but was perfectly adequate for a short stay with good supply of towels and toiletries.
We found the bars and restaurants in the hotel to be almost prohibitively expensive, but this is probably due to the weak Sterling when we visited. That said, we had a couple of drinks in the bar near the lobby - everyone just seemed to be having the most lovely time in there and we didn't want to miss out!
The hotel is well located for first time visitors to New York who want to do all the sights - we were able to walk to most landmarks, although there were always plenty of taxis to be had nearby if needed. It's always a comforting feeling in a big city to pop back to the hotel to drop off shopping/freshen up before heading back out - and the Waldorf was located centrally so as to allow us to do this.
Overall, this hotel is the very meaning of 'faded glamour'. Whilst I'm glad we experienced the charm of the Waldorf I would probably pick a more contemporary hotel for future visits to New York.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank H0lidayhead
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the Waldorf in April 2009. We stayed for an extended weekend and we had the time of our lives. Upon checking in, we asked for an upgrade and were given a minisuite on the 42nd (top) floor. We found out this suite also doubles as a second bedroom for the Royal Suite, which used to be the part-time home to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. The room was absolutely beautiful and had windows that faced 50th Street and you could also see Park Avenue. There was a small foyer, that included a wetbar and refrigerator. Then the bedroom/living area, which had the most comfortable king bed I've ever slept in, along with a desk and chair, couch, armchair, coffee table, end tables and entertainment center with TV. To the right of the bedroom was a small changing area with a closet where the safe was kept along with luggage racks, iron and ironing board. Through the dressing area was the bathroom, which had a tub and separate shower area. We could not have asked for better service. The hotel was convenient to everything and there were a couple subway stations within a block or two. We would definitely love to return to the Waldorf someday, but there are so many other cities/countries we want to see first.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NJparalegal
Channel Islands
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This is a large, impersonal, busy hotel.
We had a one bedroomed suite which was spacious enough for a family of four. The bedroom and lounge were in good condition, comfortable and clean but felt cold and dark even on the sunniest of days. The bathroom was old and very dated. We heard no traffic noise. Drinks and food were expensive.
I found the location of Sunday brunch in the main foyer next to the check in desks to be rather odd.
I was surprised at the lack of security at this hotel, as anyone could just wander in.
The hotel is ideally located and within easy walking distance of many attractions.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Surid22
UK
Reviewed April 26, 2009

From arrival to departure everything was superb.
The room was clean and spacious and the staff were just wonderful throughout.
There is a guided tour of the hotel, which was actually a really great experience. We learned a lot about the history of the hotel and got to see parts of the hotel you would not normally see as a guest, including the kitchen.
I would happily recommend it and I would happily stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank rdnzl71
The Midlands
Reviewed April 25, 2009

The Waldorf is extremely elegant, and as the famous hotel it is i certainly wasn't disappointed. The rooms were not huge but immaculate, and I loved the bathroom, really bright with loads of mirrors! The bed was fabulous (mind you, its so exhausting sighseeing you would sleep on a washing line!) However in New York you spend very little time in your room anyway! It has to be said the people watching in the Waldorf was fabulous full of tux's and ball gowns and me in my Ugg boots!
I have to be fair I only stayed in the hotel because of it history but it really did make my trip to New York special!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank Riggers01
madison, alabama
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I too read the not-so-flattering reportst about the Waldorf-Astoria before I left. I did not get the chance to choose a hotel because we were part of a group. I was pleasantly surprised by my WA experience! The service is second to none. They took care of anything we asked for. One night, I needed to ice my foot. Within minutes after asking, I had an ice bag at the door. The decor was upscale and very elegant. The hotel room was large and spacious. The only part of the hotel that showed any age was the bathroom plumbing. I was ok with that though. We had the opportunity to have dinner in the Bear and Bull. Quite expensive, but very nice. A drink in the lobby was about twice what it would have been anywhere else. The food at our two group breakfasts was super, and a perfect way to start the day. Would I stay here again...probably not since it's a "been there, done that" kind of thing. I do prefer the Crown Plaza on Time Square to this hotel. Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely! It's a great place to experience atleast once.

On a side note...we noticed what we thought were hookers in the lobby very late one evening. Not sure if this is something you see in other NY hotels but the were there to "see" someone. I'm not sure if they were allowed upstairs or not. (GROSS)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business