“Honeslty?.....I stayed for the name!”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #256 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 25, 2009

The Waldorf is extremely elegant, and as the famous hotel it is i certainly wasn't disappointed. The rooms were not huge but immaculate, and I loved the bathroom, really bright with loads of mirrors! The bed was fabulous (mind you, its so exhausting sighseeing you would sleep on a washing line!) However in New York you spend very little time in your room anyway! It has to be said the people watching in the Waldorf was fabulous full of tux's and ball gowns and me in my Ugg boots!
I have to be fair I only stayed in the hotel because of it history but it really did make my trip to New York special!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank Riggers01
Write a ReviewReviews (11,545)

Reviewed April 21, 2009

I too read the not-so-flattering reportst about the Waldorf-Astoria before I left. I did not get the chance to choose a hotel because we were part of a group. I was pleasantly surprised by my WA experience! The service is second to none. They took care of anything we asked for. One night, I needed to ice my foot. Within minutes after asking, I had an ice bag at the door. The decor was upscale and very elegant. The hotel room was large and spacious. The only part of the hotel that showed any age was the bathroom plumbing. I was ok with that though. We had the opportunity to have dinner in the Bear and Bull. Quite expensive, but very nice. A drink in the lobby was about twice what it would have been anywhere else. The food at our two group breakfasts was super, and a perfect way to start the day. Would I stay here again...probably not since it's a "been there, done that" kind of thing. I do prefer the Crown Plaza on Time Square to this hotel. Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely! It's a great place to experience atleast once.

On a side note...we noticed what we thought were hookers in the lobby very late one evening. Not sure if this is something you see in other NY hotels but the were there to "see" someone. I'm not sure if they were allowed upstairs or not. (GROSS)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank lisaland
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Wife and I stayed at the WA for a long weekend with friends. Location is central in Midtown which makes it easy to get around. The WA's famous name makes it sound more appealing than it really is. I am not going to rip on the hotel because it is nice but lets face it...It is an old place....and you can sort of tell it. I think the management has done a great job with what they have but the WA is aging and it is easy to tell in some spots. The hotel apparently does not have AC and heat...they only have one or the other. the temp was 80 degrees in NYC but the AC in the hotel had not been switched on. Our room was not uncomfortable but our friends did complain. they were told to open a window and they provided them with a small oscillating fan. It was funny to see this cheap little wal mart fan blowing around a room in the WA. Our room was small but it was well appointed. the bath towels were top notch and the bed was very nice. the 42 inch flat screen was cool too. check in service was polite and the concierge was very helpful. Bartenders were cool and recommended great restaurants. The WA is nice and everyone is as nice as they could be but honestly the place was a little disappointing. Overall, I think the problem that I, and all of our friends, had with WA is that the hotel itself does not live up to its big name. when you say WA you think of timeless elegance and oppulent accomodations. Not bashing the WA but we are just used to something a little nicer and i think most seasoned travelers would be on the same page.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2009

The Waldorf is a beautiful Hotel with comfortable beds and a helpful staff. Its location is perfect, near the liveliest spots but far enough to allow for a good nights rest. Now for the not so great, our non-smoking room was a smoking room with an air-ionizer placed in it. The hotel double charged our account for our stay, only after placing a hold for 100 dollars a day over the initial quote for the possibility of "incidentals" (ie. minibar, internet use etc). This brought the on hold amount from our bank account to 240% of the initial quote. In the staffs defense, after being told by the desk attendant I was wrong and the charges were correct, the manager called and corrected their mistake, 24hrs later it was corrected, both on paper and in my bank account. The television remote never worked, but we were so tired from running at city speed we didn't have time to notice. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff, attentive and courteous, with the exception of the desk clerk,were always professional. I had high expectations for this hotel, but found myself disappointed when I had to correct another billing issue at check out, this time an incorrect charge for the minibar, of course in the hotels favor. Everything here is specifically designed to seperate you from your hard-worked for dollars. Enjoy your stay here, but double check all billing, and be prepared to direct attention to poorly handled billing procedures. Don't be too nice to make a stand, you will be taken advantage of.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Elegant art deco lobby. Beautiful entrance - especially from Park Ave. We had the corner room on the 12th floor and it was lovely.
Only complaint is that it is a huge hotel. (you don't get that "personal service" feel like from small boutique hotels - there is a long line at the check-in, long wait on the phone, etc.)
Great location - centrally located.
LOVED telling the cabbie - "Take me to the Waldorf!"

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My wife and I booked at the Waldorf for a romantic getaway this month and were pleasantly surprised at the accommodations. We booked the romantic package(champagne & breakfast in bed). and were pleased to be upgraded to a tower one bedroom suite, above and beyond the package suite.
The restaurants are a bit pricey, we at Qdoba across the street for dinner one night. Had lunch at the Peacock restaurant in the hotel and would say that it is fair, although the fact that it is off the lobby and the people watching was great.
When booking in NYC I recommend considering the Waldorf simply based on value. I am looking at booking another trip to NYC and the Waldorf is only about $40 more than the Hampton Inn, so for the extra money I will stay at the Waldorf based on it's status and proximity to local attractions.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank GlobalMogul
Reviewed April 15, 2009

After reading the reviews on this I traveled to New York not expecting much from the hotel. Well I must say I was wrong. The hotel is in a fantastic location and I would say that if you were to use all the facilities, which I did not, then it would be worth the money.

The rooms were very clean and the staff more than happy to help.

Despite the fact my first room was on the small side after requesting a larger room I was given a corner room which proved to be larger, although some bathroom space was compromised. Not to big a problem as that is an area I do not tend to spend much time in.

The location was excellent. A 4,5,6 subway round the corner, a ten minute walk to Grand Central and about the same to Times Square.

All in all I would recommended you stay here if you get a relatively good deal.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family