“Great place and location”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #262 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Manchester
“Great place and location”
Reviewed November 4, 2004

I have just got back from New York this morning. NY is great and the Waldorf Astoria is a very special hotel. It has real charm and presence. It is not a modern hotel with clean lines and clinical rooms but is a grand hotel. It has a lived in feel that makes this place so wonderful. I would recomend this hotel to anyone. The hotel is not cheap, but nothing worth having ever is!

3 Thank Ski2xs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,978)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 2, 2004

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Waldorf Astoria for our 10 year wedding anniversary and we were thoroughly pampered. I had dreamed of staying there since I was a young girl and after reading some of these reviews I was sure I'd be dissapointed, not so. We had a mini-suite which was large, lavish and tastefully decorated. We were brought a gift of chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne on the night we checked in. Every need we had was immediately satisfied. The housekeeping was very diligent. The bellman very couteous and gave a history of the hotel. This hotel is a wonderful place, I could not fault it. Normal people will find it above expectations, those looking for something to complain about will find problems anywhere they go (ex. some of these reviews) A++++ to the Waldorf, we will be back soon!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 24, 2004

I have stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria and Waldorf Towers in the past, most recently in June of this year. Some of the other reviews of this hotel do not do it justice. The public spaces of this hotel are beyond comparison in the United States, meticulously done from the Park Avenue Lobby to the Grand Ballroom. One user complained that they were expecting a 5 star hotel, but the Waldorf-Astoria makes no claim of being one. That would be it's sister hotel, The Waldorf Towers, run by Conrad Hotels, Hilton's luxury portfolio. To be short, you get what you pay for, and I find it hard to believe that someone would expect 5 star service in this city for that price. I'd suggest booking a deluxe room or a suite on their own website, as the rates are as good or better, especially if you enter your AAA number. Having only stayed in suites at the Waldorf, which were all of decent size, I cannot comment on the regular guest rooms. The Waldorf-Astoria should not be confused with the Ritz Carlton on Central Park, The Sherry-Netherland, or the Waldorf Towers. The Waldorf-Astoria is a large hotel, not an intimate boutique experience, and costs far less.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2004

We stayed at the Astoria for a long weekend 6 months ago. We booked it as a cheap internet deal, and I would never have believed I could have stayed at this hotel for the price we paid.

I read all the reviews about the Waldorf - which were a very mixed bag of good and bad comments. But overall I thought it was fantastic - in terms of location, atmosphere, service, style, glamour and prestige. The sheer size and scale of the thing is amasing. Our standard hotel room, was not the best I've stayed in - but it certainly wasn't lacking in comfort or style. The room was in keeping with the hotel - oh...and the drinks in the hotel bar were expensive - but good lord...you're in the Waldorf!!

2 Thank Pengers
Reviewed October 18, 2004

I read these reviews before going to Priceline and can understand why some of these people complained as far as some of the complaints are concerned. The people there were very helpful; we had a very nice room in the Towers; the location is perfect; and of course it is getting a bit old and dated in there...that's the point. It's the Waldorf, not the W.

If you are looking for tres sheik, then don't stay here. If you want to experience NYC from a great location with a piece of the history of the Waldorf, then this is great! Especially if you use Priceline and get it cheaper than you can any three star hotel in the Bronx.

We arrived very, very early, and they worked extra hard to get us into a room to rest. They had one cleaned, but not restocked yet. Every question we had was answered, everyone had a smile on their face, and we really enjoyed our stay there.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 14, 2004

Arrived late on Saturday night to find out the girl who I spoke to earlier (to let her know I would be arriving late) cancelled my room reservation, after I had prepaid it through Priceline. The night auditor was very nice, sent me to the Millenium Hilton at Ground Zero...asked me to return to the Waldorf for the remaining 2 nights of my stay.

I complied, although annoyed that I would have to switch hotels. The Millenium was a very nice place - modern, flat screen tv, spacious with a big bed.

The next day, I went back to the Waldorf and checked in. They had upgraded me to a mini suite - plenty of room, but will they ever feel the need to change the tacky peach wallpaper and hideous flowered window treatments? It felt like "The Shining."

My advice - if you are going to spend that much money on a Hilton property, stay at the Millenium Hilton on Church Street - a beautiful place.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anoka, Minnesota
Reviewed October 13, 2004

Waldorf as a name is very overrated. Got a decent Internet price for a midtown ‘big name’ hotel but a very poor value. Arrived at 3:40 p.m. but Front Desk check-in wouldn’t talk to us until after exactly 4:00 p.m. Main breakfast buffet ran out of most items by 8:00 am!! Bell service at front door was very poor. Have stayed at many midtown hotels but will not stay here again.

1 Thank Peter R