“Lived up to its reputation”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #264 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Lived up to its reputation”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I thought that I would not be able to afford the famous Waldorf Astoria, but through an internet search I found a reasonable price for a double room. Then I was worried that the service/facilities have declined because the price was reasonable. But they stay was fabulous in every respect - beautiful hotel, professional staff,etc.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Margaret,

Thank you for choosing us as your host for your recent trip to New York City. It is great to read that you were impressed by the features each guest can expect from the Waldorf Astoria- a beautiful art deco interior in our public areas and private rooms, an incomparable luxury experience at an affordable price for travelers of all budgets, and the True Waldorf Service we are so proud to provide for our valued guests from around the world.

This is our aim, and we are delighted that we were successful in your case. We hope to welcome you back in the future to provide you with the true meaning of luxury at the Waldorf Astoria once more during your next trip to the area.

Assistant Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,981)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Delaware
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed here on a recent weekend in NYC. The location cannot be beat. The lobby is impressive and the photos throughout awe inspiring. Even at 11 PM , the was a small line to check in. The staff member was friendly and quick.

The hotel is huge. The price for our room was comparable to other Hilton properties in the area. This is hard for many people to understand. Anyone staying here needs to remember this is a historic hotel. The rooms are not going to be super modern. They will be tasteful. Our two double bed room was actually quite roomy. We were not tripping over each other. The bathroom was cramped. My wife who hates hotels said this room had the best shower she had ever taken.

The gym was modern and had all the typical equipment. We did not eat/drink at any of the restaurants here.

The wifi in the lobby worked well. We did not pay for wifi in our room.

We used the hotel valet parking. At $50/day it was cheaper than some of the garages nearby. In and out privileges were available if needed.

All the staff here were very friendly and helpful. We needed an extra towel but it took a while to be delivered. Once housekeeping arrived, he handed me a stack of towels and a bag full of amenities. These were a hit with my daughter.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators. See if you can get one facing out to the street for the sit...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear dewey.nikhu,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Waldorf Astoria New York with the TripAdvisor community! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay at our property, and I appreciate your kind words regarding the welcoming presence of our staff and the tasteful design of our guest rooms.

Should your travels bring you back to our area, we hope that the Waldorf Astoria will continue to be your hotel of choice.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I cannot be more emphatic about recommending the Waldorf Astoria as a place to stay while visiting New York. The location on the east side of mid-town can't be beat. Lots of restaurants and shopping within walking distance. Easy to walk across town in spring, summer and fall to see a show on Broadway.

The staff is first rate. Everyone from the bellman, to the front desk, to housekeeping could not be more pleasant and professional. The rooms are well appointed and extremely comfortable. It was difficult getting out of bed in the morning with such a comfortable mattress, and pillows and bedding that you would purchase from Pratesi.

Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and can't wait to return!

Dear Dan,

I am so happy to read that our team was able to contribute to a first-rate stay for you during your recent trip to New York City! It is rewarding to know that our commitment to True Waldorf Service, our convenient location in midtown Manhattan, and the luxurious room appointments we provide for our valued guests played such an integral part of how you enjoyed your vacation here.

Thank you for recognizing our staff and special amenities on TripAdvisor, and for your gracious recommendation of our hotel to other travelers. These comments are great to read, and we eagerly await your return!

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The Waldorf Astoria is an institution of NYC Hotels, it known for having hosted FDR and every U.S. President since that visits NYC. Royalty, Heads of State, Dignitaries, Celebrities, and the Wealthy call the Waldorf home when in NY. The hotels reputation has created the not so unique case of lowering it's service standards due to its constant stream of guests simply because of its reputation.

Do not get me wrong, the Waldorf is located in prime location in Midtown East and all of NYC's attractions, restaurants and nightlife can be easily accessed from this hotel by Taxi, Subway or Bus.

The true problem is that this Hotel no longer offers what is to be expected from the price it asks. The facilities are dated, and although I agree that it should keep its charm from the golden years of NYC this can be achieved while still upgrading the hotels facilities to meet what is expected by the price that is being paid.

If you are into living the past glory of NYC in a dated and expensive hotel that is conveniently located than this is perfect for you. But if you rather get more for what you pay than avoid the Waldorf and if you want modern services take a look at some of NYC's newer boutique and trendy hotels.

Room Tip: Do not expect too much for the price that you are paying.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alex G
Dear Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate your review as it provides feedback that I need to re-evaluate guest needs and make the necessary adjustments to our offerings.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you back in the future, as we are currently undergoing a strategy that will allow us to do just what you said in your comment about preserving the historical significance of our building while also improving our property so that it meets and exceeds the expectations of our guests. I would love to show you just how far we've come in the future, should your travels bring you back to New York City.

I do hope you will consider giving us another chance in the future to demonstrate our commitment to satisfaction in all areas of the guest experience. Until then, I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share, and have a wonderful evening.

Oxford, PA
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed at the WA last week for my daughter's eighth birthday.

Check in was very easy. I had called the day before arrival and was described the type of room that we'd be in. When we got to our room, it was not as described, so I called the gentleman at reception who waited on us to discuss the discrepancy. He was very nice and helpful and said he would take the issue to his manager. She called promptly, apologized for our dissatisfaction with the room and offered a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite, which was a little dated but beautiful overall and a huge space for the three of us, with large entryway, full living room (with fireplace) and separate bedroom/bathroom.

All of the staff was extremely helpful and courteous; from the reception staff to the bellmen and valets.

Hotel is in a great location. Walking distance to lots of wonderful dining. Close to Rockefeller Center, Central Park and my daughter's favorite, The American Girl Store...

Really great stay and a very memorable birthday for my girl!

Dear Melissa,

It is so wonderful to read your glowing review! We are especially delighted that we were successful in providing a memorable experience for you and your daughter on such a special occasion- her 8th birthday. We are very fortunate to have a team that genuinely cares about our guests and is committed to service at every step of the way- from check-in to check-out- and so I would like to thank you for recognizing us for doing so in your case.

We would consider it an honor if you would consider staying with us again in the future; you can expect the same type of luxury treatment, as that is our commitment to each and every guest!

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I was a guest here while attending a conference for work. The public areas of this hotel are gorgeous and oppulent; however, my room left MUCH to be desired. The wallpaper in my bedroom was peeling. There was a fixture missing from the bathroom door so there was a 2 inch hole in my bathroom door; coupled with the the handle on the door itself being broken. The light fixture in the bathroom was also crooked. Additionally, I had to keep the bathroom door closed because the bathroom constantly smelled of old, mildewy pipes and the scent filtered throughout the room if the door was open. I suspect the management was aware of the problems in my room as the check-in attendant stated he needed to get manager approval to put me in the room--although he never said why. SInce I wasn't in my room a lot, I reported my issues to the front desk upon check-out. I was disappointed in their response. The desk clerk apologized once and then admonished me for not saying something when I first got in the room (which was around 10 p.m. at check-in) and they could have fixed it. I'm not sure how they could re-wall paper my room during my stay and, since I was told they had absolutely no vacancies, there was no way they could have gotten me another room. So, I'm not sure what his solution would have accomplished.

Overall, I was very disappointed in my stay, as I've stayed in lesser-rated hotels with better quality rooms and furnishings and better service. I understand that this hotel is famed, but I would never stay here again. Hopefully, the outside reconstruction that is going on will include an upgrade to the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sheila B
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Sheila,

Thank you for being a loyal guest and sharing your comments with us via TripAdvisor. I am so sorry to hear that we were not able to impress you with our service and room accommodations! Be sure that your comments have been addressed by our team and that we are currently working on a strategy to improve our property and service within the near future. This is part of our commitment to you, and we are very excited to share our progress with valued guests such as yourself.

We hope that you will be a part of our growth and continue to support the Waldorf Astoria as we progress to confront issues like those you mentioned. It is unfortunate that we were unable to impress you while you were here, and I want to let you know that the experience you had upon check-out is anything but standard here.

Our standard of service means that our guests should never have to speak up about an inconvenience. It is our goal to provide True Waldorf Service that not only meets your needs, but anticipates them so that any potential inconvenience is avoided. We will be in touch with you shortly to further address your experience to see how we can use your feedback in a more constructive way internally.

Southampton
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Waldorf with my mum to celebrate my birthday. The hotel is just fabulous in every-way, we had a suite which had two bedrooms, two bathrooms and was pure luxury! The food was amazing, my only criticism would be the breakfast, they don't tell you that it's a charge for each section, so our first breakfast cost us $120 when we only had an omelette some cereal and pancakes! But all in all an amazing stay in a fabulous hotel, would go back again and again and highly recommend.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank SouthamptonAmanda_B
Dear Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your kind words about your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria! It is a high honor to read your comment about your suite that described it as "pure luxury."

This is the standard we set for ourselves- not only meeting the expectations of our guests, but exceeding them. I am so proud that our team was successful in doing this in your case.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the future, and thank you again for your review!

Yours in service,