“Old World Charm in a Modern World”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #263 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Bangalore
“Old World Charm in a Modern World”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Enamoured by the name and the history of the Waldorf decided to stay during the last US trip. Humongous Hotel and a massive reception... We were ushered in no time and the reception trying to get us a good room. The stay was perfect except that we were in the old wing... Saw Lucille Ball and others who had stayed there. Got a great rate on booking.com and hence decided to stay there. As our flights were at midnight, on request the reception extended by a night so that we were not out in the freezing cold (it was -3 degrees outside). Customer service was excellent from the engineering staff as well.

Room Tip: Book in the Waldorf Towers. Looks like it is fully renovated than the old wing.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,981)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Waldorf is a stunning hotel. I stayed in a large, quiet double room with plenty of space, and the location was very convenient. The lobby is grand and adorned with fun exhibits of what the hotel was like in its heyday. But I would probably not recommend it for the following reasons:

-- Biggest reason is that the water pressure was terrible. The hotel is in the midst of a renovation, so it might get better, but every time you turn on the hot water, it takes about five minutes to heat up, and even then you get intermittent water pressure (almost like there is air in the pipes). I don't think it helps that the faucet and shower head are on opposite sides of the tub, so it takes a long time for water to run through the pipes.

-- Food is extremely expensive. They seem to switch between buffet and a la carte for breakfast in the mornings, and if you happen to go down on a buffet morning, you end up paying $50 for breakfast. There are no a la carte options. I'm prepared to pay a premium for a hotel breakfast, but this was really too much, and yet I had no other option because I had back to back meetings. (If you have time, you can avoid this by walking a block to Grand Central Station)

-- Mediocre service. I checked into my room to find that dirty dishes from the previous guest's room service were still outside of my door. When trying to check out, I waited in a very short line of two for a long time as one front desk receptionist after another glanced our way before leaving their post even though their two remaining colleagues were dealing with problems with other guests. I finally had to hand my key to the bell that was manning the line because I ran out of time. Their lack of caring was blatant.

All in all, this is a hotel that has seen better days. It still purports to be the iconic hotel it once was, but it is no longer, leaving the price to performance equation out of whack. This hotel is still worth checking out, but I agree with some of the others that the best way to experience it is to just have a drink there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ykwriter
Washington DC
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Great vintage hotel. Large room, great bed. Hot water takes a while to arrive. Love the atmosphere of the Bull and Bear bar. Have your room key ready when you get on the elevator because you need to use it quickly to get your floor. A bit pricey, but perfect location for midtown helps.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Had a great 4 days in new york. The hotel is in a great location close to times square and central park. The reception area is very impressive it is a shame other floors are not kept to the same standard

Some areas looking tired in need of a refresh

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
owhitehurst
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Waldorf this past weekend for a quick NYC getaway. This was my second time staying here, and will be my last. For some necessary background, we stayed here for the first time a few years ago and were given a great upgrade to a nice suite (I am Hilton Diamond so this wasn't entirely out of the ordinary, but still very much appreciated). I had dry cleaning done at the hotel on that trip as my wife and I were about to embark on a 2 month long trip around the world. Upon receiving my dry cleaning back, I discovered the Waldorf had lost two of my rather expensive dress shirts. Not exactly ideal at any time, but really frustrating when you're about to leave for a long trip. In any event, I figured the suite upgrade more than cancelled out the lost shirts and was ok with choosing the hotel again this time around.

We parked in the hotel's garage, and a bellhop stood around and watched as we pulled our luggage out of the car and headed inside - no one offered to take the bags, which is normally not a huge deal - but definitely below the level of service I'd expect from a place like this. The Hilton Diamond check-in area was closed (I've never seen it open in the many times I've had drinks in the lobby bar) so we went to the main check-in desk. The young man behind the counter asked if we had been here before, I said we had - although we were a bit disappointed at the end of the last stay as the Waldorf had lost two of my shirts. I said this nicely, and I wasn't looking for anything in return except maybe an apology, but I thought it was worth mentioning. There are many acceptable responses to such a statement that you would expect from someone who is a front-line employee in a customer service-focused industry, but one of them is not "Ahh, well, laundry is hard anywhere in the world." Are you kidding? I spend about a 1/3 of the year staying in hotels around the world, and your $500 a night luxury manhattan hotel is the only one that has ever lost any of my clothes. More to the point, a check-in clerk at a Homewood Suites in rural Arkansas would know better than to say something that dismissive and arrogant to a guest. I left off the last part, and responded with "well, not really - this is the only hotel I've ever stayed at anywhere in the world that has lost anything of mine." His response: "well thanks for coming back anyway, here's an extra free drink coupon." I didn't think it was possible to lose a customer by offering a free drink, but this guy managed to do so - kudos.

We went up to our room in the Tower to find it small, somewhat dingy, and kept at a constant sweltering 75 degrees despite the heat being turned off and the windows cracked open the maximum 3", with a tv remote that did not work unless you were w/in 5 feet from the TV and (as we found out the next morning) the alarm clock set to beep loudly 6am. It's an old hotel and I certainly wasn't expecting the same room I received on my first stay, but I do expect something nicer than what I'd get at the Doubletree down the street.

After our experience checking in and the disappointing room, we both decided we were never staying here again. If I'm going to stay in a suite a luxury hotel in NYC, I'd rather give my money to a place like the Plaza or Mandarin where they still act as if they care about their guests. When I'm staying in a standard room, I'd rather stay at one of Hyatt's Andaz's or any of the NYC Hilton's over the Waldorf - the rooms are nicer and, amazingly, so is the service. If you've always dreamed of staying at the Waldorf, I suggest you just have a drink in the lobby instead - your experience will go downhill from there if you spend the night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OwenW514
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Owen,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing service and events of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations through amenities and performance. We have shared your comments with our team and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered and prevent similar issues moving forward. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve.

Siobhan Delaney
Assistant Director of Rooms
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Travel a lat as travel agent and recently had the pleasure to stay at the waldorf in ras al khaimah. What a contrast. This was terrible. Dust in room, no heatung in bathroom, lack of towels, no tea/coffee facilities, wifi that droped every few minutes. Would not recommend ro anyone.... an d that ia when I generally love the hilton group. If they treat their valued gold HHonors customers like this... then gold help the rest. Suitr room 900A

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PeteG276
Pete,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on the comfort and appointment of our guestrooms and apologize you did not receive the world class experience you expected. We will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the city so we may properly demonstrate the level of hospitality you deserve from our brand.

Siobhan Delaney
Assistant Director of Rooms
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My sister and I surprised our mom with this trip--she's a born and raised New Yorker now living in Miami. Our grandfather (our mother's father) had worked at the Waldarf back in the day, yet we have never stayed here.

The rooms were apparently smaller than we expected (it was us three in one room). The customer service clerk switched our room during check-in without us even asking. She then gave us complementary drink cards for any of the hotel's restaurants, because we were there for my mom's birthday. The service was amazing.

The hotel was gorgeous. The rooms are old and a little outdated...but not in a bad way. It had a classic charm feeling about it.

We ate at the Bull and Bear restaurant. It was delicious, and the service was great.
If you go between 5:00pm-6:30pm, there is a special menu that is $55 a person for an appetizer, main course, and dessert. You have to ask for the menu, though...they don't automatically give it to you, so you have to ask. Totally recommend it.

This was definitely the best trip we have ever taken!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family