“Don't Do It!”

Ranked #264 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Napa, CA
“Don't Do It!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Simply disappointing! Sadly, we will not be back! We traveled to NYC with our team to celebrate a huge project and thought we would splurge and stay at the Waldorf Astoria since a few people had not been to NYC before - all I can say is the hotel is worn and tired as is the staff. Our room was not clean, there were holes in the carpet....honestly it is sad to see an iconic hotel like the Waldorf Astoria treated this badly - honestly management should be ashamed to let the hotel get into this condition.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

4 Thank ParisBuchanan
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear ParisBuchanan,

Thank you for your comments. I am so discouraged to read about your stay with us. The issues you described in your guestroom are unacceptable, and will be reviewed in depth with management. I hope you will choose the Waldorf Astoria again next time you travel to New York City.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,981)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from January 1st. Although the public areas are smart, our room was shabby. The window blinds were broken and the shower was tepid to cold. Some of the electric wall points were coming away from the wall. The food was incredibly expensive. All in all a great disappointment

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
4 Thank RFerg10186
Dear RFerg10186,

Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay with us. This is extremely valuable feedback, and your review is being taken very seriously. I truly hope to welcome you to the Waldorf Astoria again next time you are in New York City.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

You can't ask for a better location and the interior/lobby of the hotel lives up to its reputation. The staff were always incredibly helpful and friendly. Although we expected slightly smaller rooms, given the age of the building, we were happily surprised to find our room was quite spacious with lots of room for storage. The beds were also super comfy. All around, a great stay!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 4, 2014

For our wedding I wanted to surprise my bride by utilizing an elegant and distinctive place as our wedding preparation venue. I choose the Waldorf because of its history, renowned service, and beautifully elegant environment. Although we did not get married there, using the Waldorf as our getting ready venue was one of the best decisions I have ever made, as the experience exceeded my expectations for what I had envisioned for my loved one. Our time there was something straight out of a storybook, surreal, if you will, and it is a treasured part of what was an amazing wedding day. We all know how stressful the final days and hours before a wedding can be, (and a large, elaborate NYC wedding like ours was even worse), but I have to say that the staff at the Waldorf bent over backwards to make sure everything was perfect for us during the days leading up to our marriage, and especially the day of our actual wedding. That was particularly true for my bride, who was treated like royalty.

I had contacted the hotel in advance of our stay in relation to a number of concerns raised by various reviewers on TA. I had wanted everything to be perfect for my bride, because, as you know, a wedding day is a woman’s time to shine. I received an immediate response from top management, who assured me that they would do everything possible to ensure that not only would her suite be perfect, (my best man and I stayed on another floor), but that we would also have a perfect location for our First Look. The amazing service continued upon checked-in, as it seemed as if everyone there knew who we were and why we were there. During check-in we were met by Dan, one of the management team members, who was gracious in giving us a tour/trial run of the magnificent Royal Suite, the site that he, with the assistance of other staff members, had selected and prepared as the location of our First Look.

During the morning of our wedding, it was incredibly chaotic, especially for my bride, but there were always Waldorf staff present, at both our rooms, to ensure that things were OK. Indeed, they spent much of their time running multiple wedding gifts between floors, and dealing with a large number of people (hairdresser, makeup artist, frantic bridesmaids, family, friends, etc), going in and out of my bride’s room. When it was time for us to meet for our First Look, I was escorted by the Waldorf staff to the Royal Suite. About 15 anxious minutes later, my bride was escorted from her room by Waldorf staff for our meeting. Afterwards, she remarked that at that time she was ‘close to losing it’, but that her Waldorf staff attendants, (along with her own personal assistant, who was charged to never leave her side), helped her to relax before our big meeting.

After our emotional First Look, we left the Waldorf for our ceremony and reception (our reception was at ‘21’), and did not return until very late in the evening. I had reserved a nice suite for our First Night, but they gave us a very nice upgrade as a congratulatory gesture. It was, in a word…spectacular. We absolutely loved the spaciousness and the opulence of our First Night suite. There is no doubt that for future anniversaries, we will stay at the same suite level (and same actual suite, if possible), as it was just wonderful. I really regretted that we couldn't stay longer, but the next day we had to jet for our honeymoon.

I've gone on a bit with this review, but I am so very appreciative of what the caring staff of the Waldorf did for us on the most important day (thus far), of our lives. We are not heads of state, nor captains of industry, but for a few days in time, my bride, the focus of my world, was treated like the Queen of New York. I could not have asked for anything more. While there is always talk of how everything has gone downhill, and that the Waldorf was ‘so much better’ generations ago, in my view, they upheld the tradition of exemplary service from the moment we stepped into the building. There are so many people whom I wish to thank, like Dan, Leslie, David, Thomas, and many others who contributed to providing us with an exceptional experience. Indeed…they helped to create the memories of a lifetime.

Sadly, nothing is sacred in this world, and the Waldorf name is now shamelessly marketed by Hilton around the county and the world, (I believe there are some 25 or so properties globally which are licensed to use the Waldorf name). Although they may hang a Waldorf sign on their door, you owe it to yourself to experience the real Waldorf=Astoria here in NYC. The richness of tradition and service is alive and well. The attention to detail is still unsurpassed, and down every hallway, and around each corner, history lives. If you wish to sample up close the grandeur and elegant grace of the Art Deco Era, then the Waldorf in NYC is simply a place that should be experienced at least once in life.

That’s our Waldorf story.

Thank you Waldorf…and see you again soon.

Michael

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mapglobal2
Cheddar, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Fantastic location, wonderful experience, I booked this as a surprise 50th birthday treat for my husband. As it was a one and only time I upgraded to the Towers Luxury Guestroom - One King Bed. This gave us complimentry entry to the executive lounge on floor 26 with a continental breakfast and afternoon tea & cakes. The Towers also give you a private entrance to the hotel and your room. We were on the 40th floor, not for the faint hearted......but wonderful views over manhatten.
The staff were attentive, the executive lounge relaxing, the experience awesome! I booked direct through BA on-line and got a very good price, BA staff were fantastic in-flight. Not cheap, but then nothing in NYC is and as this was special I was prepaired to pay a little more. I would suggest upgrading to the Towers for the experience and the fact that you get your room cleaned daily and a turn down service at night. Would I go again, YES, but not in January! it was so so cold.... and sight seeing in such weather with wind chills of -40f is not nice. However we layered up and brought ear muffs and got well into it. I would suggest buying tour tickets in advance on line its much cheaper and you get VIP skip the lines! NY CityHop-on Hop-off bus tours were fantastic with extras included such as ferry to Liberty Island and entry on statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock or Empire State, History Museum and much more. Visit Centry 21 for all your cheap designer cloths, make sure you make time ...... we ran out of time.... I could have spent a day in Centry 21! An optional extra for his actual birthday was the Manhattan Sky Tour, helicopter flight again booked in advance. Sit in Peacock alley just for a drink its another once in a life time experience.... my one negative was dinner at the Bull and Bear on my husbands actual 50th, no one even said Happy Birthday to him or made him feel special, but the BA staff made up for it on our return journey with free bubbly and offered to sing to him! So all in all Go For It ! a trip to remember for ever. Will we go back YES with our daughter and may be older son! but in warmer weather.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Towers if you can afford it, the extras are worth it! the 40th floor was fantastic fo...
1 Thank Trina A
New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had heard so much about the Waldorf Astoria. But when I arrived there, I was not impressed. The staff was friendly and the check-in and check-out process was efficient, but the rooms were old and seriously need to be renovated. The coffee and bagels were good, but be warned that if you call room service even for a cup of coffee at breakfast or dinner time, you are told it will take "minimum 1 hour!". All right, what REALLY pissed me off was the night before I checked out, I was told that my credit card had a problem and they would take cash from me for room service. I called CITIBANK in India and they said there was NOTHING wrong with my card and there was a slight network problem. The guy at the Front Desk Mark, was helpful though and after talking to him about 3 times, the problem was resolved. I was told there was something wrong from the hotel's end and that now my card was fine. Lo and behold! Next morning, just about two hours before checking out, I called room service for coffee and was told I had to pay cash. I told them the card issue was resolved, but they didn't care. So, I said what the hell I'll pay cash, drink my coffee, check out and never stay here again! The only reason that I'm giving three stars is because of the excellent location on Park Ave.

Room Tip: I would say, "Stay elsewhere!"
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank prasol
Dear prasol,

Thank you very much for your comments. While I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the Waldorf Astoria, I am so discouraged to read the rest of your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the confusion regarding your credit card and room service. I understand that this must have been terribly frustrating. This is certainly a training opportunity for us. I truly hope that you will choose to give the Waldorf Astoria another chance next time you are in the city.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed February 4, 2014

my family and i recently visited New York and stayed at the Most Historic Waldorf Astoria. When we arrived after a long flight, our room was not ready as usual. we booked a suite and a luxuryroom. these rooms were both very spacious, but the hotel needed a major revamp. the carpets and the painting looked like they were never replaced for 20 years. we ordered shower gel which took 50mins to arrive and when it finally did it was a shampoo. now when you are staying in a renowned hotel like that, that kind service is unacceptable. every time we ordeed anything it took a minimum of 25mins. however still the best located hotel in NY and the busiest!.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lerato23
Dear Lerato23,

Thank you very much for your feedback. While I am thrilled that you found our location to be convenient, I am so sorry to hear that our customer service did not exceed your expectations. We understand that your time is extremely precious, and we feel horrible that our service was not prompt and efficient as it should be. I hope that you will give the Waldorf Astoria another chance next time you are in town.