“Once in a life time experience”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #263 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Fantastic location, wonderful experience, I booked this as a surprise 50th birthday treat for my husband. As it was a one and only time I upgraded to the Towers Luxury Guestroom - One King Bed. This gave us complimentry entry to the executive lounge on floor 26 with a continental breakfast and afternoon tea & cakes. The Towers also give you a private entrance to the hotel and your room. We were on the 40th floor, not for the faint hearted......but wonderful views over manhatten.
The staff were attentive, the executive lounge relaxing, the experience awesome! I booked direct through BA on-line and got a very good price, BA staff were fantastic in-flight. Not cheap, but then nothing in NYC is and as this was special I was prepaired to pay a little more. I would suggest upgrading to the Towers for the experience and the fact that you get your room cleaned daily and a turn down service at night. Would I go again, YES, but not in January! it was so so cold.... and sight seeing in such weather with wind chills of -40f is not nice. However we layered up and brought ear muffs and got well into it. I would suggest buying tour tickets in advance on line its much cheaper and you get VIP skip the lines! NY CityHop-on Hop-off bus tours were fantastic with extras included such as ferry to Liberty Island and entry on statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock or Empire State, History Museum and much more. Visit Centry 21 for all your cheap designer cloths, make sure you make time ...... we ran out of time.... I could have spent a day in Centry 21! An optional extra for his actual birthday was the Manhattan Sky Tour, helicopter flight again booked in advance. Sit in Peacock alley just for a drink its another once in a life time experience.... my one negative was dinner at the Bull and Bear on my husbands actual 50th, no one even said Happy Birthday to him or made him feel special, but the BA staff made up for it on our return journey with free bubbly and offered to sing to him! So all in all Go For It ! a trip to remember for ever. Will we go back YES with our daughter and may be older son! but in warmer weather.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Towers if you can afford it, the extras are worth it! the 40th floor was fantastic fo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trina A
Write a ReviewReviews (11,552)

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had heard so much about the Waldorf Astoria. But when I arrived there, I was not impressed. The staff was friendly and the check-in and check-out process was efficient, but the rooms were old and seriously need to be renovated. The coffee and bagels were good, but be warned that if you call room service even for a cup of coffee at breakfast or dinner time, you are told it will take "minimum 1 hour!". All right, what REALLY pissed me off was the night before I checked out, I was told that my credit card had a problem and they would take cash from me for room service. I called CITIBANK in India and they said there was NOTHING wrong with my card and there was a slight network problem. The guy at the Front Desk Mark, was helpful though and after talking to him about 3 times, the problem was resolved. I was told there was something wrong from the hotel's end and that now my card was fine. Lo and behold! Next morning, just about two hours before checking out, I called room service for coffee and was told I had to pay cash. I told them the card issue was resolved, but they didn't care. So, I said what the hell I'll pay cash, drink my coffee, check out and never stay here again! The only reason that I'm giving three stars is because of the excellent location on Park Ave.

Room Tip: I would say, "Stay elsewhere!"
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank prasol
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear prasol,

Thank you very much for your comments. While I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the Waldorf Astoria, I am so discouraged to read the rest of your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the confusion regarding your credit card and room service. I understand that this must have been terribly frustrating. This is certainly a training opportunity for us. I truly hope that you will choose to give the Waldorf Astoria another chance next time you are in the city.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

my family and i recently visited New York and stayed at the Most Historic Waldorf Astoria. When we arrived after a long flight, our room was not ready as usual. we booked a suite and a luxuryroom. these rooms were both very spacious, but the hotel needed a major revamp. the carpets and the painting looked like they were never replaced for 20 years. we ordered shower gel which took 50mins to arrive and when it finally did it was a shampoo. now when you are staying in a renowned hotel like that, that kind service is unacceptable. every time we ordeed anything it took a minimum of 25mins. however still the best located hotel in NY and the busiest!.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lerato23

Dear Lerato23,

Thank you very much for your feedback. While I am thrilled that you found our location to be convenient, I am so sorry to hear that our customer service did not exceed your expectations. We understand that your time is extremely precious, and we feel horrible that our service was not prompt and efficient as it should be. I hope that you will give the Waldorf Astoria another chance next time you are in town.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We got here through an special offer and were a bit sceptical because of the price we paid. But I have to admit that just checking-in made us feel welcomed. The hotel staff is extremely nice and always willing to help in every aspect.
The room was beautiful, cozy and everything was spotless. The bed was extremely comfortable and everything was quiet and noiseless.
Concierge services are spot-on and wi-fi on the lobby worked great.

This is everything a hotel should be: Friendly, comfortable, clean, and the list goes on.

A wonderful hotel for our honeymoon.
Surely an experience we will never forget!

Hope someday to be back there again soon!

Room Tip: Our room was 740. It had a wonderful city view and a bed which puts all other beds to shame!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We were warned this was no longer 5 star but we thought Christmas would be special. Lobby etc stunning however our room was tired and some dirty linen left on the floor. The electronic by weight mini bar had not been serviced and a half can of beer still inside. Reported to desk the next morning but still not serviced and then charged $250 for the bar bill. Immediately reversed when we complained, but why should we have to?

Living on the past - visit to look but not stay.

Room Tip: No idea, there probably aren't any for ordinary travellers
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David S

Dear David S,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am so disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience. I sincerely apologize for the confusion with the minibar. This certainly could have been avoided. I truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you to the Waldorf Astoria again in the future.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Waldorf is what New York is about. It has history, class and a great location. However, "history" doesn't have to mean "worn out", "old"... Lobby and public areas are definitely worth the visit but the rooms are not necessarily so. It is reasonably priced, for New York, that is. I'd recommend stopping by at least one night for the "experience" of it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PeterTraveling
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have stayed at the Waldorf several times in the past year. They always make me feel welcome. The bartender remembered my name from the evening before. The dinner at the Bull and Bear was superb. The hotel has a special feeling because of its history which is still present today. I like to feel comfortable and familiar when I travel and the Waldorf does that.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family