“Great history and location, but old and worn out”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #267 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New Delhi, India
“Great history and location, but old and worn out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had heard so much about the Waldorf Astoria. But when I arrived there, I was not impressed. The staff was friendly and the check-in and check-out process was efficient, but the rooms were old and seriously need to be renovated. The coffee and bagels were good, but be warned that if you call room service even for a cup of coffee at breakfast or dinner time, you are told it will take "minimum 1 hour!". All right, what REALLY pissed me off was the night before I checked out, I was told that my credit card had a problem and they would take cash from me for room service. I called CITIBANK in India and they said there was NOTHING wrong with my card and there was a slight network problem. The guy at the Front Desk Mark, was helpful though and after talking to him about 3 times, the problem was resolved. I was told there was something wrong from the hotel's end and that now my card was fine. Lo and behold! Next morning, just about two hours before checking out, I called room service for coffee and was told I had to pay cash. I told them the card issue was resolved, but they didn't care. So, I said what the hell I'll pay cash, drink my coffee, check out and never stay here again! The only reason that I'm giving three stars is because of the excellent location on Park Ave.

Room Tip: I would say, "Stay elsewhere!"
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank prasol
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear prasol,

Thank you very much for your comments. While I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the Waldorf Astoria, I am so discouraged to read the rest of your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the confusion regarding your credit card and room service. I understand that this must have been terribly frustrating. This is certainly a training opportunity for us. I truly hope that you will choose to give the Waldorf Astoria another chance next time you are in the city.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,974)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

my family and i recently visited New York and stayed at the Most Historic Waldorf Astoria. When we arrived after a long flight, our room was not ready as usual. we booked a suite and a luxuryroom. these rooms were both very spacious, but the hotel needed a major revamp. the carpets and the painting looked like they were never replaced for 20 years. we ordered shower gel which took 50mins to arrive and when it finally did it was a shampoo. now when you are staying in a renowned hotel like that, that kind service is unacceptable. every time we ordeed anything it took a minimum of 25mins. however still the best located hotel in NY and the busiest!.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lerato23
Dear Lerato23,

Thank you very much for your feedback. While I am thrilled that you found our location to be convenient, I am so sorry to hear that our customer service did not exceed your expectations. We understand that your time is extremely precious, and we feel horrible that our service was not prompt and efficient as it should be. I hope that you will give the Waldorf Astoria another chance next time you are in town.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We got here through an special offer and were a bit sceptical because of the price we paid. But I have to admit that just checking-in made us feel welcomed. The hotel staff is extremely nice and always willing to help in every aspect.
The room was beautiful, cozy and everything was spotless. The bed was extremely comfortable and everything was quiet and noiseless.
Concierge services are spot-on and wi-fi on the lobby worked great.

This is everything a hotel should be: Friendly, comfortable, clean, and the list goes on.

A wonderful hotel for our honeymoon.
Surely an experience we will never forget!

Hope someday to be back there again soon!

Room Tip: Our room was 740. It had a wonderful city view and a bed which puts all other beds to shame!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Magenta, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

We were warned this was no longer 5 star but we thought Christmas would be special. Lobby etc stunning however our room was tired and some dirty linen left on the floor. The electronic by weight mini bar had not been serviced and a half can of beer still inside. Reported to desk the next morning but still not serviced and then charged $250 for the bar bill. Immediately reversed when we complained, but why should we have to?

Living on the past - visit to look but not stay.

Room Tip: No idea, there probably aren't any for ordinary travellers
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David S
Dear David S,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am so disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience. I sincerely apologize for the confusion with the minibar. This certainly could have been avoided. I truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you to the Waldorf Astoria again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Waldorf is what New York is about. It has history, class and a great location. However, "history" doesn't have to mean "worn out", "old"... Lobby and public areas are definitely worth the visit but the rooms are not necessarily so. It is reasonably priced, for New York, that is. I'd recommend stopping by at least one night for the "experience" of it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PeterTraveling
New York City, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have stayed at the Waldorf several times in the past year. They always make me feel welcome. The bartender remembered my name from the evening before. The dinner at the Bull and Bear was superb. The hotel has a special feeling because of its history which is still present today. I like to feel comfortable and familiar when I travel and the Waldorf does that.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Virginia D
Longford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have just returned from a 5 night stay in the Waldorf and all I can say is thank you to all the staff. From Wayne and Sarah on reception to Paul who collected our bags and organised a taxi for us to return to JFK. Prior to my visit I did see a lot of poor reviews however all I can do is praise all the staff who were so nice and professional on all occasions. We even requested to change our room on the second day (as there was no bath tub) and we were moved straight away to a room on the 41st floor which I can only describe as OMG and what a view. I will definitely be back in NY again and I will be staying in the Waldorf again

Room Tip: We stayed on the 41st floor on the towers level. It was really quiet and had a beautiful view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple