“A good place to stay”

Ranked #266 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“A good place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

The staff is very helpful; I had a very early flight in and I very much appreciated the way the staff expedited my check in so that I could rest up. The location is unbeatable, and the preservation of the hotel's traditional style makes this a special place.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,974)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Beautiful, with history to bring back the past. Room was nice with a view down Park ave. Great location, night time walk to great restaurants, and Rockefeller Center iceskating. Valet parking was a little confusing, unmarked where to turn in.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I was very disappointed with our stay at the Waldorf Astoria from 18th to 21st January 2014 – this is definitely not a 5 Star Hotel. The catalogue of events is as follows:
1. When our taxi arrived underneath the hotel the porter took our luggage, handed us a luggage receipt and didn’t speak. He offered no form of welcome to the hotel or help in finding our way to the reception. We had to ask and was simply told go that way.
2. On arrival at reception we had to wait some 10-15 minutes in a queue for check in.
3. When eventually reaching the receptionist he was cold and unwelcoming. He robotic, insincere and barely spoke to us and only said what was necessary like “Can I have your passports”. There was no apology for the wait or no form of warm welcome to the Waldorf Astoria.
4. I must say that when we came back to the hotel later in the day to check into our rooms (they were not ready at check in) we explained our disappointment to the new receptionist and she was very apologetic and was very helpful.
5. On arrival in our room on the 27th floor we were horrified by the poor standard of repair. On the surface the room looked satisfactory but obviously no-one inspects the standard of repair and there seems to be a lack of communication between housekeeping and maintenance. The attached photos speak for themselves.
6. The cleanliness of the room left a lot to be desired. On the surface the room looked clean but underneath the bed had not been cleaned for a long time. We found bottle tops and plastic wrappings under the bed from previous customers.
7. On the Monday we tried to rest in the afternoon but were unfortunate to choose a day when maintenance was being carried out on the floor. They were loud and spoke at the top of their voices which carried throughout the rooms. At one stage we were interrupted by a maid who knocked the door, opened it and, even when we shouted that we were in bed, she proceeded to enter. The maid added to the noise on the floor with a loud vacuum cleaner and the banging of doors. Sleeping was out of the question.
8. On the last morning the toilet blocked. I must say this was the best service we received. The maintenance man arrived within 10 minutes and was courteous and polite, something which the front office staff could learn from.
Overall this was not the service expected from a 5 star hotel, they could learn a lot from the Savoy Hotel in London or the Four Seasons where you are treated as a valued customer. This hotel survives on it’s history rather than it’s service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tim050400
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear tim050400,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am so disappointed to read the list issues you have offered. We pride ourselves in providing True Waldorf Service, and I am discouraged to hear that we were unable to do this for you. We are taking each and every one of these comments very seriously, as we are constantly working to better the guest experience. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Waldorf Astoria again in the future.

Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

What an amazing hotel and worth going all the way to New York for just in itself.
Totally blew us away.
The location is between Fifth Avenue & Madison Avenue. Amazing.
Service amazing, Suite amazing, Standard amazing.
We really cannot say enough about this hotel. We will never stay in another hotel when going back to New York. This was our 3rd time there and we're planning another visit next year.

Room Tip: Our original quote was for a regular double room with additional bed for our 13 year old. However...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lesley W
Hayward, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I went with my two daughters to New York a year ago for a girls weekend from Wisconsin. I remembered my mom saying when I was young The Waldorf Astoria was the top hotel in New York, and she wished she could have stayed there once in her life. She passed away 15 years ago, but , in her honor I decided to book it. I always watched old movies and saw how beautiful it was: so I worked hard so I could afford it. I was not disappointed , it is such a beautiful place, I just asked my daughter to book it to go back for Mothers Day this year, I begged my son to come along so I could show him New York and this wonderful hotel. Also, when I went the first time, at the hotel they have a brunch that included a very knowledgeable woman that took us through the history of the hotel and for $50.00 per person it included brunch also. Hopefully this trip is even better than last time.Can't wait. Pat H.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ktownpatty
Palo Alto, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Let me start by saying that a) I have dreamed of simply setting foot in this hotel since I was a little girl, and so I was absolutely eager and ready to be thrilled and pleased with everything about it when I got the chance to stay here for a business trip, and b) I am not a complainer or a high-maintenance guest by any stretch of the imagination. All I require is a clean, comfortable place to stay and friendly service on the rare occasion that I might ask for something.

My experience at the Waldorf could not have been a bigger disappointment. Where to begin the story is unclear. Should I start with the thermostat that continually increased the intensity of the heater as I desperately tried to turn it down so that I could get to sleep without feeling like I was being baked alive? Could it be the false promise of the mechanic who spent an hour tinkering with it and swore that it was fixed, only before I spent yet another night getting toasted while the temperature kept going up? How about Guest Services' curt response when I explained that it had already been unsuccessfully 'repaired' once and that I was still struggling to make it function properly? I believe the exact words were, "we have one temperature for the entire building ma'am, we set it, and that's it."

Not a good enough reason for a 1-star review? Fair enough. What about when the toilet refused to flush at all a few hours later (it was reluctant to function right from the start of my stay), and a different mechanic came in and plunged it half-heartedly a few times, completely ignoring my pleas to do something more? I explained as well as I could that the flush mechanism itself was clearly not operating properly and that something more needed to be done, but he simply left insisting that it was fixed. I continued to be unable to use it for the rest of that night or the following morning.

Still not enough? I ordered takeout from a nearby restaurant (the room service menu was a bit out of my budget, since my company would only cover the room costs and not any additional incidentals), but they forgot to bring cutlery with the order .So I called room service and asked if they could simply send up a knife and fork so I could eat my dinner. "It will be at least 45 minutes ma'am."

By this point I was more than a little upset, so I called Guest Services once more and asked them to please simply send up a knife and fork, as it was a rather menial request and should not take 45 minutes to complete. I also briefly mentioned the other several inconveniences I had had to contend with through the past to days. The person I spoke with not only did not apologize for any of it, agree to put me in a different room or help me out in any way, she actually snapped, "Ma'am, there's a snowstorm outside, there are a lot of guests here besides you, so you need to wait your turn."

I won't even get into the rigamarole that occured at checkout considering method of payment but suffice to say, I will be hard-pressed not to shudder if I ever encounter the Waldorf Astoria again.

2 Thank rpriyanka
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear rpriyanka,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear about your experiences at the Waldorf Astoria. I am so thankful that you have provided so much information regarding what exactly happened during your stay. We want each of our guests to feel at home when with us, and we understand that it is so difficult to feel at home when there are issues with plumbing and heat. We sincerely apologize for each of the challenges you encountered when with us, and we hope you will choose the Waldorf Astoria next time you are in New York City.

Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Peeling paint, cracked plaster, old furniture, musty smelling room, lousy annoying wi-fi, lack of hot water. All for only $500 a night. I have stayed at a lot of hotels in New York and you pay for the location but the room was really bad. Nice if you don't go past the lobby.

2 Thank James M
Dear James M,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am so sorry to learn that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us. We promise each and every guest an unforgettable experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Waldorf Astoria again in the future.