“Awesome iconic Hotel!”

Ranked #256 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Austin, Texas
“Awesome iconic Hotel!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Located in a great area. Enjoyed my stay at the Waldorf Astoria, staff was wonderful especially Sarah. I loved the decor every inch of it! I would definitely stay there again on my next trip to New York. Only thing is that it is going through renovation during our stay so I really couldn't take great pics of the hotel outside. It was lovely to see a wedding happening while on our stay oh and a movie was being filmed in front of the hotel. Overall a great experience and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,983)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed for 4 nights in October for my 40th birthday, the check in was quick even with a long queue, my husband informed reception we were there for my birthday and we were given 40$ worth of cocktail vouchers and a room with a view, our Room was on the 13 th floor overlooking Lexington ave it was lovely and quiet, the hotel is beautiful with lots of Art Deco features, within walking distance of many attractions, would definitely recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Family wanted special stay for one night in NYC. First room was in disrepair. Outlets hanging out of wall, broken furniture and dirty. Moved to a second room where there was blood on the wall and linens and had not been vacuumed or dusted. We did not stay. We were advised because of the rate we booked there wasn't much they could do. For a hotel with a reputation as this, it was a disappointment to say the least. Housekeeping manager should be fired and the general manager should do their job. Never going back and writing to Hilton too.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy K
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Nancy K,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are so disappointed to learn that you were dissatisfied with your stay with us. I understand that you spoke with my colleague, Siobhan. I am glad that we had the opportunity to connect with you and discuss the issues you encountered. We are very much looking forward to your return.

Diarmuid Dwyer
Hotel Manager
diarmuid.dwyer@waldorfastoria.com
Houston
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

This was my 3rd stay at this hotel, and I just love it. There is so much charm, it's so pretty, and it's in a great location. I had meetings in the ballrooms which are also beautiful! I just love all the Art Deco details all the way down to the door knobs to the bathroom in the room.
I went down to the gift shop one evening, looking for chocolate. The nice clerk set me up! Best chocolate ever!
I also love the soap in the shower, it smells like cloves!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SoloCrystal
Torfaen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I specifically wanted a hotel room with 2 double beds and my travel agent came up with the Waldorf. I was somewhat reticent reading the reviews, but, you know what, it was absolutely fine !
Opulent lobby and yes, it can be very busy, many visitors are there photographing the sheer grandeur of the hotel's interior and others are busy on their laptops and iPads- free wi-fi in the lobby. You will be charged in your room.
Check in with Buddy was a breeze after a 5 minute wait and lifts readily available. Our room, 1414, overlooked Park Avenue. It wasn't huge , but, big enough - 2 queen size beds, writing desk , chair, massive ,as you would expect, TV, large wardrobe/hanging cupboard with safe, bedside table, radio with iPod docking station,3 lamps, spacious bathroom with bath and overhead shower and plenty of towels, toiletries and so forth. Towelling dressing gowns in the wardrobes, but, surprisingly no slippers.
I emailed the hotel prior to our stay to request tea/coffee making facilities, a fridge and a microwave. Now, Buddy had all this noted on his system and assured me they would all be put in place. Well, that didn't quite happen straight away and I did have to chase housekeeping. The fridge arrived first-a battered old black thing, but, it worked. Then a vast tray bearing coffee maker and kettle , cups, saucers, coffee and tea bags and milk. I'd take your own tea bags if you like a strong cup of tea. We never saw the microwave, but, we had no real need of it anyway. There is a drinks cabinet well stocked at eye watering prices-don't move a thing or you'll be charged. Buy beer over the road at Duane Rede or wine from a liquor store if you can find one. We took a box of wine in our hold luggage.
Plenty of tourist information available in the room and downstairs on the concierge desks-there are 2 of them .Again, they do get busy, but, I found them helpful and Manu, concierge, gave me discount vouchers for the Top of the Rock. We bought a 7 day Metro card which is a real bargain, the subway is close by and we caught the downtown bus right outside to take us to City Hall to visit the 9/11 Memorial.
The hotel location is great and plenty of coffee shops nearby-Starbucks over the road and plenty of residents obviously go out and bring coffees and brown bags back in to the hotel. I can't comment on the restaurants within the Waldorf , but, I saw big queues for the Sunday brunch in Oscar's.
Enjoy the stunning decor and have a good look at the clock in the centre of the lobby-quite magnificent ! The only thing that puzzled us was why on earth did they put bathroom scales in the bathroom- who weighs on holiday ??? They must be for your holiday luggage going home with all that shopping !! Incidentally, we left our bags with left luggage to enjoy our last day in New York after check out. The staff throughout were pleasant and not overtly seeking tips as some do.
The Waldorf Astoria for us was a thoroughly good experience and an excellent base-some may talk about faded glories, but, this was gracious and extremely comfortable - I have no complaints !

Room Tip: Email ahead and tell them what you want. It may be worthwhile joining the Hilton Honours programme a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Our stay at The Waldorf was wonderful and we will return. Staff ++++ We experienced an amazing visit to the spa after receiving services as a gift because we upgraded to a suite. It was a tremendous value and I would return for the spa alone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

san francisco
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Mediocre at best! I try to point the highlights of hotels and point out what I enjoyed. Let’s face it no one is perfect or no entity is perfect but this recent stay had more negatives than positives. To start, I wasn’t paying for the room, it was arranged for me through work and I had to deal with group reservations. My room category was one queen but I had requested 2 beds 2 weeks prior to my arrival. I am a Hilton preferred member; silver or gold. I thought that gave me some leverage. I was willing to pay the difference or redeem points. I called several days before to confirm 2 beds and was told it would be noted in my reservation but it was best to call back the day of my arrival to confirm. That’s when I was confronted with major attitude. First, someone hung up on me, then I called back two more times and the front desk let it ring 5 minutes each time without picking up. On the 4th try from a different number, I was put through to group reservations. I was told they were fully booked and would not accommodate my request. I told the person I was on Hilton.com and that simply wasn’t the case. I then contacted my connection through work and she was appalled and confided that several others in our group had a similar experience.
OK we got a room with 2 beds after several phone calls and I was going to cancel and stay elsewhere at my own expense after this ordeal. Now the room we finally got was nice, we had a great night sleep which is rare in a hotel room for me. The hotel sent up a tray of chocolate covered strawberries as there way of apologizing.
Please note there are no coffee makers at the Waldorf, a growing trend among hotels. One pot of coffee delivered is $25.00!
After our conference we were given a dedicated coat check just for our group. When I rolled up with my bag and wearing jeans and a t-shirt I was told there was no way I was part of this group. I had to convince the coat check girl that I wasn’t homeless or a bum. Even coat check has an attitude at this hotel. Something told me to watch her tag my bag but I didn’t and went on my way. When I returned at 3:00 to pick up my bag, the lady said, “Oh that’s the bag without the tag”. I was furious! In the bag was my laptop, an autographed book from my late father and other personal items. I was at a loss for words, I was thankful I had my bag; I am really disappointed with the Waldorf. I’m sorry to say that most of staff there has adopted an attitude.
Now front desk at check in, housekeeping and room service were all very nice. I don’t want you to think it’s all bad. I have one more trip to this hotel in a month, I’ll report back again with this next experience. If I was paying, it would not be my choice to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quiet, you can sleep with the window open! Rare to find in NYC.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sftraveling1
Good Afternoon sftraveling1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am terribly sorry to learn about the issues you encountered at check-in and with our coat check. We strive to provide each and every guest with an unforgettable experience, and we are terribly sorry that we were unable to do this for you. Your comments are extremely helpful to us and will be certainly be used in training our team. We want to ensure that during your next stay with us we exceed all of your expectations. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Diarmuid Dwyer