“Great Hotel - Fantastic location!”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #266 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great Hotel - Fantastic location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

The location is perfect for sightseeing, within easy walking distance of Times Square, Grand Central Terminal, the Empire State, Chrysler Building and the Rockefeller Center. The room we had (508 on the 5th floor) for my husband myself and two teenage sons was adequate and clean, it looked out on Park Avenue, this room was surprisingly quiet, (I had previously read reviews that suggested lower floors might be noisy) Room service was 24/7 quick and the food good. Would definitely stay here next time.

Room Tip: All I can tell you is that room 508 was fine, clean & quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,974)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

A magical experience at NYC's most famed hotel. Dripping in luxury and class this hotel will make your stay a delight. Free upgrade upon my arrival and they gave us free drinks at their lounge. They really make you feel like are of noble blood. My only hiccup was the wait time to check in- took about 15 minutes to see the front desk

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights at the start of July and were very happy. Being first timers to the Big Apple we found this to be a fantastic location, within easy walk of Times Square and all the other places of interest. We found the staff to be approachable and nothing was a problem. We liked our room and had no problems at all.

Would stay here again next time and recommend to anyone else, especially first timers to the big smoke.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan H
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Waldorf is back to grand self. Because of its age I sometimes fear Ill be disappointed, but not last week. My wife and I spent 5 nights and felt right at home. The hotel just went though a nice updating of the outside stone work and motor court and lots of other areas for the facility . Our room was an executive suite on the 7th floor. As a Diamond Club member I was very disappointed that the hotel stopped giving us complementary breakfast,and the Starbucks lost its lease and is gone from the hotel.
All the staff were great and we'll be a back for the holidays .

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from any of the elevators, there can be noise from the people in the hallwa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

This was my husband and I second visit to the Waldorf but this time our 13 year old son was with us. We arrived early for check in to be told our room was ready but if we would like a better room with a view it would be about an hour to wait we decided to wait. The hour long wait turned out to be three and a half hours but we were given vouchers up to $80 to use for drinks which was well received as bar prices are extortionate. When we were told the room was eventually ready we were given another $100 on the room to spend however we chose. The Room we were given was on the fourteenth floor a very good size with two beds. At first we thought the beds were doubles but they are not my husband and I struggled the first night so i spent the rest of the week sharing with my son. The Waldorf is a lovely hotel and ideally placed for many attractions and it is worth going to see but beware it is very expensive especially in the bars.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Historical name and grandeur lobby, except all of that add up do not worth the price we paid. Sad old furnitures with despair bathroom. Luckily the room was tidy and cozy..still, I was expecting more for the price I paid. It was great how it is on Park Avenue, but I wonder if the last time they renew the rooms was during 1940s or 50s.

• Stayed August 2013
Long Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was truly disappointed during my recent visit. I have stayed in the Waldorf 3 times in the last six months and each time the issues during my stays got progressively worse.

Let me start off with saying the staff at this hotel is top notch and they do the best they can with the limitations they have. There was no dedicated Gold/Diamond line and the Diamond Room area was "closed for 2 weeks" . I didn't mind the 30 minute wait but when my room wasn't ready it made it a little harder to take. I did try and check in around 1pm, so I understood, and was told that I would receive a call when the room was ready. I came back after my meeting at 4pm, no phone call but had to wait on line again to see if it was ready. (along with half the others on the line) I was having cocktails in my room for colleagues before our dinner reservations, I stated that I needed my room by 5pm and they said that might not be possible. All they needed was a supervisor to check the room. It was unacceptable! With a few phone calls and 30 minutes later I finally got my room. The room (luxury King) was not vacuumed since I stepped on a pin when I later showered. I opened the curtains and I was looking out on scaffolding, which wasn't the worst of it, bird poop covered the windows, back went the curtains.
The heating and air-conditioning system is archaic, I had issues during the winter and this visit I had the thermostat down as far as it would go and it never went below 74degrees. I had to have housekeeping bring up a fan to sleep at night.
I stayed at a Homewood Suites the night before my stay and what a difference, impeccable and amenities to make the business traveler at home. (coffee maker at least) I travel 4 weeks out of 4 and I would not stay here again, even to drop the line "I'm staying at the Waldorf..."

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MrsHeartRN
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear MrsHeartRN,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so sorry to hear that you have had three negative experiences with us in the past six months. We are so thankful that you have been loyal to the Waldorf Astoria, and that you have taken the time to tell us where we can improve. We take our TripAdvisor reviews very seriously, and we will certainly be reviewing each and every one of y our comments. We would really like to look into the issues you mentioned, specifically in your guestroom. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Diarmuid Dwyer