“Grand old dame of Manhattan, elegant feeling, and good location”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #259 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked a normal double via a "Cyber Monday" online special for just $200. Considering this was during the Christmas and New Year's holidays, this was an excellent price and amazing that they had availability at this price. Currently, you can also get this discounted online price through TravelZoo for nearly any day of the week. We paid $25 for an optional "supreme" upgrade IF it was available at the moment check-in, refund of the $25 if it is not available.
When we actually did check in we were given a suite. A beautiful suite. An enormous suite. A huge room by New York standards with separate bathroom, changing and make-up room with two wardrobes, and a huge lovely bathtub. The bathtub was a fantastic, relaxing, unexpected joy. The room was very tidy and fresh (unlike a recent review seem to say), and the only difficulty we had was connecting to the super-fast (150 Mbps) in room router wi-fi that was solved the moment we called the technical service number on the full writing desk. The large flat screen TV had an Android and iPhone app available for control by your own mobile or tablet---called LodgeNet.
In summary, our room at the elegant but affordable (particularly compared to other NYC hotels) Waldorf Astoria made our stay in NYC wonderful and warm and near to so much.

Room Tip: When making your reservation, choose the $25 "upgrade if available option". We were given...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Megan_Hennessey, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your positive comments. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are so glad that you were able to take advantage of the upgrade, and we were able to put you in a beautiful suite. We hope to welcome you back again for your next visit to New York City.

There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria New York

Reviewed April 14, 2013

booked two rooms, superior king which was quite nice and a delux double double which was not where I would wish to stay! hotel is obviously very nice overall as it is an iconic landmark. 5 star prices inside , coffee etc expensive.
as a diamond member expected exec access, but not available! they get around this by having the exec lounge in the towers and treating it as a separate hotel! Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly, got tickets for a show and car for the airport. I would go back but would only stay in superior or above rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback, and thank you so much for being a Diamond member! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry that you were disappointed that there wasn't an executive lounge available for us. This is extremely helpful feedback for us. We are constantly working to better the guest experience; especially for our HHonors guests. Your feedback will help us in making effective decisions moving forward. We hope to welcome you back to the Waldorf Astoria New York again in the near future!

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Ok... This is a long one because I have to explain! Waldorf Astoria New York is classic meets outdated! It is a historic hotel where all the Presidents stay but I am assuming where they stay in the hotel the commoners don't even see because I was amazed at how outdated and dirty the hotel is. Dont get me wrong the architecture is beautiful! The carpet in the lobby and entrance areas were so full of stains... Some staff were friendly others were downright rude. My first day I got the biggest scare of my life when a male hotel staff member barged in my room door without knocking! I was so upset and shocked that Waldorf staff didnt practice worldwide hotel etiquette. A/c did not work in the hotel so we were steaming in our meetings ... The banquet food was terrible - actually that was putting it nicely! It was bad and left many of us in shock. I ordered breakfast my first morning - 2 eggs and a stack if panacakes with juice and tea .... My bill was a whopping $91! I could not believe it! I had many problems thereafter but I was so disappointed I didn't even bother reporting to management. I was so excited about trying out this hotel for the first time and was terribly disappointed. Truly don't waste your money here!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Cas M

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are terribly sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay with us. Comments such as these are truly helpful to us, as we are continuously working to better the guest experience. Your concerns have been noted by the necessary departments, and we will work to evaluate these issues. We cannot apologize enough for the mishap with the employee coming into your room. This is not a standard for us, and there is certainly a training opportunity for us. Should you have a moment, please email me with your confirmation number and your TripAdvisor username. We would love to look into some of things further to better understand these issues.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

As experienced travelers we must admit that we were a bit disappointed. Our room was not ready at our arrival, which is perfectly fine, but as we came back to the front desk for a third (!) time to collect our keys (two hours later) and still were told it was not yet ready, you really start to wonder if there is any communication between the maintenance and front desk staff. The staff was overall friendly (especially the lovely lady who made the turndown service of our room), but some of the bell staff were almost rude when one of us told them that we did not need any help with our luggage. The bathrooms were not very up to date but the beds were comfortable. This might be one of the most well known hotels of the world with one of the most fantastic hotel lobbys, but the next time we go to New York, we will choose another hotel. This hotel´s standard does not compare to for example Sofitel or other more modern luxury hotels. We have stayed at better places in NYC at a considerably lower price and feel that the Waldorf Astoria has a very beautiful facade that hides a fairly good, but not at all worth-the fuzz-interior and reputation.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback. We are terribly sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Your comments are extremely helpful to us, as our team is constantly working to better the guest experience. Should you have a moment, please email me with you confirmation number from your stay as well as your Tripadvisor username. We would love to have the opportunity to look into these things further.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This Hotel is everything you imagined it to be - elegant & timeless. I choose it as it was a Hotel I always wanted to stay in but also it is in an exremely good location - buses, shops & walks to some of the must see locations. Lots of good priced cafes/restaurants nearby. The Hotel staff were very helpful & room service was very good - we ordered food to the room once & it arrived just like you'd expect with white cloths & silver trays. This was a 5 night stay & it definately lived up to my expectations. Along with staying here & all the usual sightseeing in New York - the highlight has to be going up 'The Top of the Rock" the views are amazing & a must to do. The Waldorf is very classy & I love the fact that I can say I stayed there !!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are thrilled that the location, the room service, and our team met your expectations. We love the fact that we can say you stayed here! We certainly hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I went to a convention there so I spent lot's of time there. It is an historical hotel very well located. Service is exceptional and rooms are big and comfortable.
Very expensive to eat and drink but that must be something you would have to expect.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Good Afternoon,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your convention, and that you found the Waldorf Astoria to be a piece of art. We hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

A conference put me in the W=A for a week. The location is spectacular, the Hotel conference amenities are world class. The biggest complaint is with the rooms. And I do imply the plural as I saw and confirmed with colleagues to be sure that my experience wasn't unique.

The wallpaper is peeling, lights burnt out, the carpet is stained, the fixtures do not work properly. I do appreciate that the facility is old and I would hate to suggest that it be gutted and turned into something that is like every other new hotel, but the basic maintenance and care for the building is just lacking in every regard.

Room Tip: Ask for a CLEAN room in the event that there is one available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your feedback. While we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay, we are terribly sorry that you were disappointed with the status and upkeep of the rooms. Please note that the hotel is under a constant restoration, and we find comments like yours to be extremely helpful in making the best changes moving forward. Should you have a moment, please email me with your confirmation number and your TripAdvisor username. We would love to be able to look into these issus further.