“Waldorf Astoria New York”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #259 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I've stayed at the Waldorf many times, both with my husband and on my own. While I agree with some other reviewers that yes, the rooms are small, it is Manhatten real estate after all. I've found the rooms clean and neat, with modern conveniences like flat screen tvs and historic touches like marble fixtures.

Staff is always attentive, and the one time I had a problem with that flat screen they sent a maintenance person to fix it within an hour.

I love the historic ambience of the hotel, and the proximity to many mid-town attractions. I usually stay twice a year. I can walk to theatres, restaurants and museums. New York is a city made for walking, and mid-town a great location.

I also feel very safe there when I am on my own. New York can be overwhelming when I'm overtired, and the Waldorf is a haven from my adventures.

Yes, the restaurants are expensive, but again, it's Manhatten. The food is consistentlfy good and they change the menus to reflect the seasons. Last time I visited I went to Peacock Alley for a light dinner and cocktail before my play started and everything was delicious.

Yes, there are more modern hotels in NYC, but I keep going back to the Waldorf for the charm, the ambience, the service, the location, and the attention to detail. I feel like I am in old New York, with just a touch of the modern day to make me comfortable.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria New York

Reviewed October 28, 2012

2 stars for the location. That's it.

The "deluxe" room we stayed in over the weekend was both suffocatingly small, and the bathroom resembled what one might find in a $49 Motel 6 outside of Omaha. The paint in the bathtub was cracked in a half dozen places, and the cabinets were crooked (not by design). There was a vent that was caked with lint and it appeared as if it hadn't been cleaned in months if not years. For $800 a night, this is truly unacceptable and shocking.

You are much better off staying at a smaller property where the staff can actually take care of the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JonB911
WAMeg, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area, and I appreciate your feedback. We strive to provide our guests with unforgettable luxury experiences, and dirty or un-kept rooms are not to be tolerated. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention so that we can continue to make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. We are glad you found our location convenient for your activities in the city and hope you will give us a second chance to deliver the world class service and experience you expect from us if you visit the city in the future.

Meg Towner

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Waldorf Astoria in New York would really appeal to those that are keen on historical places of interest that are essentially preserved for the sake of history itself. If this yanks your chain then this hotel will do it for you.

The reception area is quite grand, in the old way, and clad in quite a bit of wood. Needless to say there are a variety of rooms available - the room I had wasn't anything to write back home about at all, despite coming at US $533 per night! I definitely wouldn't agree to such a room at such a price again, despite the "experience" of being in a historical hotel where presidents and other states-people have tended to stay when in New York.

Room Tip: Not sure if trying to seek out a good room is really worth it. You could spend the same amount and g...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Doc-Dee-Zee
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Hard to beat the history or location of the Waldorf but that is where it stops. We had an upgraded room and it still didn't even have a bath tub. Tiny bathroom with a tiny shower. At $500 bucks a night I was very disappointed. Skip the history and spend less for more at other hotels in Manhattan.

1  Thank Scottmalone1022
Reviewed October 26, 2012

the Waldorf Astoria can be characterised as a Grand hotel, that's showing its age in the bedrooms, but can still hold its head high and haughty in the public rooms.

You know when you choose to stay here that you are going to be charged ridiculous prices for the priviledge of gracing the hallowed spaces of such a grand hotel ($240 for the Sunday brunch for two, $50 for 2 martinis), but hey, that's part of the experience. And actually, you do feel quite special if you go with the flow and just soak up the NY high society atmosphere.

But it's the little meannesses that show the crone side to the old lady. Wifi is free in the very defined area of the lobby but $16/day in your $400 room (it's free in the $100 Hyatt Place...). And the worst crime, the bathroom toiletries extend only to a shampoo, conditioner and a hand cream. NO shower gel! Just how mean is that! One of the luxuries of staying away is slowing down and having the time to take a leisurely bubble bath...only no shower gel = no bubbles. Dreadful.

We found an excellent breakfast available just around the corner (58th & Lexington) in Brass for half the price of the (quite good) Oscar offering. Somehow it's sets the day off all wrong when you've been dinged for over $110 for breakfast for two. It crosses the line from "Expensive but goes with the turf" to "They're having a laugh at my expense".

Our room was in quite good condition, some small tatty and grubby edges that would really need a complete refurbishement to deal with, but we kept the lights turned down low and enjoyed the fine linens on the bed and plush furnishings.

We didn't have much interaction with the staff after checking in, but found the reception and concierge charming and helpful, and most corridor passes prompted a very friendly greeting. I thought our waiter in Peacock Alley was pretty useless and graceless, although the barman was delightful.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, perhaps by setting our expectations right going in, but probably wouldn't return on our own budget.

Room Tip: Higher levels will suffer less from city noise
1  Thank BerkhamstedJules
Reviewed October 25, 2012

For the tariff we paid to stay at the Waldorf, you would have expected a wonderful room, but on arrival at my room, I found it pretty average. I would have expected the bedspread/linen to be wonderful but was very disappointed. The bed was comfortable with lots of comfy pillow, but the whole room has quite an aged feel to it, not worth the price we paid.
It did have a fantastic view of the Chrysler building from our window.
We had breakfast one morning, but at $40 per person, expensive and very average. Why do American have to "cremate" their bacon, it so tough I couldn't eat it.
Beautiful foyer with a lovely clock which chimes regularly. Also the price of their hot drinks was over the top, at about $10 each.
An experience to stay at the Waldorf, but I don't think I would stay there again.

1  Thank Wanagirl
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I gave the Waldorf another try during a recent stay in NYC for an event in the hotel ballroom and was disappointed yet again. Rates were approaching $500 (close to $600 with taxes!) and the rooms looked equivalent to what you'd find in a $100 NYC room. Beyond the beautiful lobby and service are dated rooms that are in desperate need for an update and TLC. The carpets look to be about as old as the hotel is. The bathrooms look at least 15 years old and are not at all comfortable. The A/C is loud, as is the noise level from hallway traffic. The rest of the room leaves nothing to offer. I've heard the suites are much nicer, but if you plan on staying in a standard guest room you will be much happier at the many other options available to you just blocks away. Sorry Waldorf.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business