“Real Grand Hotel in Manhattan”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #256 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Berlin, Germany
“Real Grand Hotel in Manhattan”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I guess everything has been said about this New York Jewel. A real Grand Hotel, you feel history in every corner.
Impressing old style Hotel in perfect location of Manhattan.
Great buffet Breakfast at the Oscars Restaurant with very friendly and highly professional people reading the wishes from your lips.
We got a good deal from the Hilton app and really enjoyed the great Hospitality.
To experience New York as it once was the Waldorf is the perfect place! Only a few minutes walk from Grand Central Station and 5th Avenue

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,983)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ohio
Reviewed July 6, 2011

The hotel lobby is amazing and I think anyone that wants to visit NYC should stay atleast one night at this historical hotel. I was skeptical with the reviews I read online. But my room was of good quality (not old and in need of restoration) and I only paid $239/night through priceline. The amount I prepaid on priceline should have been the final amount no extra taxes if not noted at the front desk upon checkin. The checkin 1 hr early was originally allowed and then they told me they would let me know when my room is ready which was 3:00pm. When I checked out is when I found an extra charge for my prepaid room for $75 additional taxes. Other than that small inconvenience the hotel being historical with an amazing lobby with Swarovoski Crystal chandelliers and custom marble foyer, the location is worth the extra $'s (walking distance to Times Square, 5th Avenue, Central Park, ETC.). The King Deluxe Room was average size but was perfect for 2 (especially considering you don't stay in your room in NYC you are going to as many places as possible). Pack a few bottles of wine or champagne in your checked baggage and put them in the ice buckets they provide and you can save alot of money on alcohol. The breakfast is like $70 per person but their is a starbucks in the hotel downstairs and the wifi is only free in the lobby. Make sure to take the circle line 2hr cruise around most of the main landmarks of NYC in the morning on your first day and sit on the left side (coupons in airport magazine $8 off per person at the time), bike through central park (prices are significantly cheaper 2 blocks away and negotiable), and eat at Tao or Aureole in Times Square!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wow69
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I have been staying at the Waldorf for over ten years and will never stay anyplace else in the city. It is truly a classic hotel unlike any other. Jackie in diamond registration and Sonny in Sir Harrys are great! I am already looking forward to my next stay at the Waldorf and I just left!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank utaxid
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2011

When we first got there I asked the doorman to have our luggage brought up to our room. He acted surprise "you want someone to bring your luggage up to your room ??" Like he had never heard that before. Got to room, TV remote didn't work. Took a while to get a new one. One morning I was leaving the room & was almost to the elevator, a maid who saw me come out of the room asked me to take this notice back to my room. I said my wife is there, she handed it to me anyway. The notice said that we would be without hot water for 6 hours. Also the hot water in the shower never worked like it should. Took about 5 - 10 minutes for hot water to get to shower. Had to be real careful, couldn't get in shower before you got the water just right. Almost got scalded the first time. Good location, rooms were clean, lobby etc.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Calabasas
Reviewed July 2, 2011

I have stayed at the Waldorf Astoria at least once a year (if not more) for many years now . I have never had any negative issues like I have been reading here. On the contrary, I have always been treated like a VIP with nothing other than the utmost respect. The entire staff has always been more than friendly and accomodating to me. I am not one to hesitate to speak up if there is an issue and it is never a problem here. My last trip Jordan at the reception desk was amazing and could not have been more helpful and accomodating. He went out of his way to make my stay perfect. What I like most about this hotel is that everyone here has always been very gracious to me. It is fabulous, the rooms are very grand and stately, the location is perfect, the lobby is just jaw dropping magnificent. This is the place to come for the New York of years past. Don't miss it. I think you will never stay anywhere else in the city again. You walk thru the revolving doors into the lobby and are transported to magnificence. No matter what season I have returned this hotel remains the same. Simply fabulous! I am staying at another Waldorf Astoria collection hotel soon and I fear it will be a disappointment after my many stays at the New York Waldorf Astoria.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank LovetogoCalabasas
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights. Staff excellent and very helpful, we got upgraded to a room with a walk in closet which was very usefull. Unfortunately the room needed upgrading with its peeling wallpaper and paint peeling off the skirting boards and bathroom door. Oscars is an excellent place to eat especially for Sunday brunch, waitress very helpful, bar staff very good they found us a table late on Saturday night when it was very busy. Apart from the dingy room everything else excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Katonah, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We went for a couples weekend. The hotel is luxurious, comfortable, and beautiful! The service was excellent. I would go back in a minute!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor