“Excellent service, rooms in need of some attention”

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #267 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, ON
“Excellent service, rooms in need of some attention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

Stayed over a 4 day period on a business trip. Beautiful common areas, especially the lobby. Staff go out of their way to make you feel at home (very pleasant, positive attitude). Location is ideal, just down the street from 51st Street subway (or just up the street from Grand Central station).

My room itself felt cozy, but was a little surprised to find wallpaper peeling back (hanging off the wall just above the TV) and mould in the ceiling of the shower area. I would have thought housekeeping would have noted the issue with the wallpaper before allowing the room back into guest inventory. For a hotel with such a great reputation, this was a disappointment.

Bed was incredibly comfortable (best sleep I've had in a hotel in years), amenities in the bathroom were also of high quality. The hotel is also very safe, with card access required past 6 pm and police regularly outside the front door (my guess would be to protect VIPs that are staying at the hotel). Others have noted no in-room safes. This was a surprise to me as well, but given the hotel offers a full vault area in the main lobby, it wasn't a big concern. Charges for wi-fi are expensive. Surely with more basic (much cheaper?) hotels including it at no additional charge, you would think Hilton would make the move as well (perhaps Hilton Hhonors members should get free wifi?). Used free wi-fi in the lobby for the occasional time I needed to catch up on work.

There was also a rather damp smell in the room, but after all this is an older hotel with a lot of history (including a time where all rooms were smoking rooms).

Aside from the wallpaper issue, I'd gladly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,974)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Whitburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

We visited NYC for our honeymoon and were looking for a special hotel for our 3 night visit. This was not it! After a lot of searching and enquiries we chose the Waldorf as it seemed a quintessential piece of NYC plus well located for transport and sight seeing. We specifically wanted a room with a view and at the time of booking (by telephone) a room with a view of the Chrysler building was requested for us. We even upgraded to a king bed mini suite to try and ensure we would have a nice room and view. This request was backed up via an email reply to one sent by the hotel reservation team.

On arrival by taxi, no-one offered to deal with our bags or direct us to reception. Even when we asked where the reception was, the reply was curt and still no offer to take our bags. There was a big conference on at the hotel and the lobby was exceptionally busy. We had to queue for some time to check in which was not ideal after a long flight. Whilst the lobby, reception areas and bars were very opulent the corridors leading to the rooms were rather drab and dated. Our room was nice and big (mini suite) and the bed was very comfortable but that's where the positives end. The room was very dark without all the lights on which was in no small part due to the fact that it looked out onto the inner courtyard of the hotel. So much for our nice view - just 3 walls of hotel windows!! There was a cupboard that purported to be some sort of kitchenette with an ancient fridge and horrible stainless steel sink and drainage board. Then the piece de la resistance was the bathroom. This was a poky little room (even the washbasin had to be located outside of it) that the bath just about fit into. A bath that looked at least 30 years old from the 1970's. Shower was poor. The toilet didn't work properly with water continually flowing after flushing.

We rang to explain that we weren't happy with the room, especially the lack of requested view and bathroom, only to be told unsympathetically that there were no other rooms available that night. The hotel did offer to move us to a higher floor the next day but couldn't tell us what the room would be like and wanted to charge an extra $50 a night. We didn't take them up on the offer and instead checked out at 7.00am the next morning, moving to the Mandarin Oriental (see review) which was fantastic. At check out they tried to charge for 2 bottles of water from the mini bar which we had been told on arrival were complimentary.

I don't think we could have been more disappointed with the Waldorf which did not live up to it's past reputation or our expectations. The rooms are badly in need of being brought up to date (especially bathrooms). The opulence of the past could still be retained with a sympathetic refurbishment. The lobby might be grand but that's not where you're going to sleep. They could also take some lessons in customer relations from other hotels. It seemed they were more concerned with their large conference and the business from that than their other individual guests and their concerns. Perhaps everyone should experience the NY Waldorf once in their life but for us one night was more than enough.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JPD11
gorgeous hudson valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

The Waldorf Astoria, the Grand Dame of hotels. And leave it to me to get stuck in the revolving door with my rolling suitcase as I entered. The Door man Tony was to my rescue in a moment! We were too early for check-in but he gladly checked our bags and gave special attention to our Cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery! We also took his suggestion of visiting Crumbs bakery near the hotel.
Upon entering the hotel, you just have to stand back and gaze in awe of it's presence. The staircases, the ballrooms, the ceilings, the lobbies....just beautiful.
Tim checked us in and found us a room that would best fit our needs. He also gave us drink and breakfast coupons. Our room was 2505, a 1 Bedroom corner Suite. Spacious and inviting as soon as we entered. 2 full bathrooms, which was a godsend to the 3 of us on a gals getaway. We were greeted with inviting robes and very comfortable surroundings. We had asked for a champagne bucket, glasses and a roll-away bed at check-in...these were delivered in a heartbeat. Servando, our bellhop explained everything we wanted to know and took his time in showing us how to operate the heat, etc...
Cocktails at the bar in Peacock Alley allowed us the good fortune of meeting Darren, the bartender, who makes a killer Platinum Martini with the most outrageous artisanal blue cheese stuffed olives I ever had. Noah was also fun to watch as he made drinks to delight everyone. We enjoyed the nuts and olives snacks but saw wasabi peas going by and really whispered "ooohh..wasabi peas..." and within a minute, we had a bowl in front of us.
Dinner at the Bull and Bear was flawless and fantastic. We shared a Shellfish platter, then ordered salads and the Tuna Carpacchio. Thank you to Abdul for being an very attentive server and ending our meal with some great cookies.
Bloomingdale's is a short walk from the hotel and we ate lunch at Patsy's (great coal fired pizza) After shopping we just walked, ended up at the Plaza, another historic site to behold.
We wanted to visit with Darren again in Peacock Alley, but he had left, so...we ventured over to Sir Harry's found 3 seats at the bar and was entertained by the bartending antics of Sonny and Tom (Thomas). You feel as if they have known you forever...there was a true sense of friendship between the two which was so welcoming to be a part of. They have been immortalized with cocktails named in their honor. Sir Harry's also has tables with cozy club chairs and waitstaff.
Back down to Bull and Bear....we dressed casual our second night and ate a corner table in the bar area. Our server, Emerson, was pleasant, wonderful and very accommodating when we asked if we could get a hamburger (it was out of this world good, too!)
Breakfast coupons allowed you a drink, hot beverage and a breakfast item at Starbucks below the lobby. This was more than adequate to start our day.
The service and attentiveness we received at the Waldorf Astoria makes you long to return to this magnificent hotel. I believe the hotel is going through some changes....the Spa was not open, no lunch at Oscar's, no afternoon tea...I don't know why, but I got the impression, especially with the economy, they are just trying to cut back, but it's done in a way that does not disturb or disrupt the elegance of the hotel or leave it's employees unhappy. I did encounter some minor problems, but they were minor and I didn't want anything to put a damper on a stay we all looked forward to for so long.
When we had asked about Darren, the bartender, and how we wanted to say hello...we were told he was just named "Employee of the month!" We were thrilled for him and made it a point when we check-out to seek him out and congratulate him.
We were treated as though we had won the lottery....Through the hard work and dedication of the staff, many of whom we will never come across, are the unsung heroes that make this hotel one of the top hotels in the world to visit. Unparalleled service, luxurious accommodations, captivating bars, scrumptious dining and a yearning to return sums it for me when I think of the Waldorf Astoria....and I can not wait to return

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank 2toots
cape cod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

I have been to NYC many many times and always used trip advisor to find to check the hotel that I was considering. I generally like to stay in (the lowest) star and above, generally 4 star. It is so easy these days to get a smart deal on good digs! I never thought to try the Waldorf. I always figured it was too stuffy and I would get lost among the fur coats and diamond! Ha! I want to tell you that they probably couldn't have treated a member of the royal family any better than we were treated. From the moment we drove up all I saw were smiles and and all I heard was,"Can we help you?", "can we get you anything else?", "Is everything okay?"
The room was so lovely... Just what you would think a Waldorf room would look like... Brocade curtains, plush pillows, an amazingly comfortable bed.... Best I have ever slept in, in a hotel, and the room was so spacious compared to the accepted cozy size of a NYC hotel room.
It was very easy to walk to rockefeller plaza, times square, etc. And getting a cab is pretty easy too, so the location is quite convenient.
I was concerned about finding someplace to grab a snack outside of the hotel. They were only to happy to point out an array of options within a block. There is a place that is right outside the back door that sells sandwiches salads fruit on and on....and some great restaurant very close also....
I think everyone should stay at the waldorf at least once in your life.... You may find that it may become the only place you ever stay in NYC!
One more thing... The parking was 50. A day and that is actually less that it is at some of the other NYC hotels... And they are fast and courteous...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

My wife and I have been staying here twice a year for quite a while. I commute to the financial district, which is easy as Grand Central is just up the road. We find the welcome and service to be excellent and although the rooms may not be as modern as some they do have a charm of their own. If you are lucky enough to fall into the clutches of Jackie and Mary at Diamond reception, then there is no problem that cannot be overcome. I have tried other hotels but keep coming back to this one for the service, location and ambience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

My husband and I went to New York for our 34th wedding Anniversary!! My husband is a Hilton Diamond member, so the staff moved mountains to up grade us to a beautiful corner suite with a view of Park avenue!! It was so beautiful that we canceled our dinner reservations and ordered room service, before heading out to see a play!! The meal arrived promptly and was great.
You cannot find a better location for seeing the sites in Mid town. We were close to great restaurants, Broadway plays, time square, and wonderful shopping!! We walked to most of our destinations, because the weather was so nice!! The staff was so personable and friendly,even though they were so busy!!
We are already planning a trip back and we will be staying at the Waldorf Astoria!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

We were in New York for a long weekend associated with a business trip. We found the Waldorf to be beautiful, accommodating and real joy. The locale can't be beat and the beds were very comfortable. This is a special hotel in the old classy hotel tradition, without being stuffy. Truly a 'great lady' of a hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business