“$219/night for a clean, good sleep in Midtown NYC? Great deal!”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #308 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I've stayed at the Shoreham before for a several night stay. This time was one night and I recommended it to two business associates that stayed there too. The price for mid-town Manhattan was right!

Centrally located for dinner at Keene's Steakhouse the night before, Astro's, less than a block away, for breakfast (opens at 6 am) and meetings on Madison at 33d Street at 8am.

I wish I could say that the attention to detail was as good as my last visit, but, it was not. The coffee maker in the lobby didn't work right (there's a dunking donut shop that serves coffee a few feet from the hotel) and the computer to print boarding passes was out of order. The desk couldn't even make change for a $20!

I had a penthouse room on the top floor. (The "right tower" has "penthouses". No big deal - just the top floor). My room had no shower room. My room only had a spa-like bathtub elevated above the floor with a VERY high bath tub wall to climb-over. Given that I wanted a quick shower in the morning, this was not an area where the hotel paid much attention to detail.

Hotel soaps, shampoo and conditioner: excellent.

NO MIRROR IN THE HOTEL ROOM, only one in the bathroom! Again, no attention to detail.

NO ELECTRIC PLUGS anywhere easily accessible! Had to find them and get down on my hands and knees to plug them in. Again, a lack of attention to detail.

NO BED-SIDE STAND for me to put my glasses on overnight! Extremely poor attention to detail.

When all is said and done, this is Midtown Manhattan. The Shoreham is a clean, good sleep hotel priced just right to bring me back the next time I'm in town, despite the numerous lacks of attention to detail.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Dear Thomz12345,

We’re delighted you chose to stay with us We always want to make sure all of our guests have a pleasant stay. If you chose to visit us again, check out our special packages for great deals. We’ll also point you towards our favorite places to drink and dine throughout Manhattan. We hope to see you both again in the future!

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

In some reviews people complained about the cleanliness of the room. Well the room is in need of refurbishment but it very clean. The one bedroom suite is a good size for 2 to 3 people but the bathroom is small. However the shower is amazing... adjustable water pressure and at the high end is intense!

The bed is comfortable and a king. And the massage chair was really cool and actually massages not vibrates.

Service was great from virtually all employees but doormen sometimes were hard to find.

However the best part of the hotel is its location. Just a few steps from most New York landmarks. Not even a block away from 5th Avenue shopping. Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Empire State Building, central park, and Radio City Music Hall are all within walking distance along with many phenomenal restaurants.

I would stay here again, between price and location it can't be beat.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear DemetriusC,

I am extremely happy to read that The Shoreham left you with a positive first impression. We strive to provide all our guests with a luxury liberated experience that exceeds expectations. I am delighted that you were able to find a comfortable stay in our hotel, and to learn that our staff treated you exceptionally well. We look forward to welcoming you back and truly appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Would never pay full charge for the room, was fortunate to have bought it on an on-line bidding site for about 65% of the $250/day they wanted. Hotel staff eager but one of them was rude and unapologetic when the keys to both of our rooms failed on two separate days(!), said "Why should I apologize when it's not my fault" (!) Hotel safety bad, as front door is always unlocked to any street traffic and thugs could easily enter, no guard. REASONS FOR POOR REVIEW:
1. Huge fees for room internet use daily; must go down to lobby all the time.
2. Huge cost of parking and no hotel parking. We were forced to pay $45 a day!
3. Hotel has many infrastructure problems, like plumbing and air conditioning. Owner must be pocketing too much of the profits, must be too greedy.

Room Tip: Ask for upper rooms, as there is a constant din of traffic below. Also, don't expect any view...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JohnnyUS

Dear Johnyyus,

Thank you for sparing time and posting your review of The Shoreham on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. Please accept my sincere apologies for our lack of communication; we pride ourselves in giving the best customer service possible. I hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is greatly misrepresented online. It is in bad need of a renovation. Very small , dingy, hot hallways. Tiny elevators. Stains on the walls and a burn mark on the furniture. The bathroom was minuscule. The pillows were like small sandbags. It was noisy and our view was a brick wall. Be careful the door to the room is difficult to secure.
Upon check in we were given a room with one double bed for myself and the staff member with me. I explained I had booked a room with 2 double beds through an online booking service. The front desk staff said that was based on availability. They had such a room available but she insisted I pay a $30 upgrade fee. This uncomfortable dingy hotel cost me over $340 for one night. Never again.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Susan B
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I am staying in Shoreham hotel currently and so far, it's not clear why there are such high mark reviews.
We got inside facing room and noise from fans is unbearable, no way you can sleep, a/c is very old and it sounds amaizing as well.
What I may say is that location is very good and person at the reception had promised to change the room. Lets see, keep u posted!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Andrey A
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I understand that the hotel was fully renovated less than 10 years ago and it needs another one urgently. In our room the air-conditioners were noisy and the windows won't close properly. In addition, the fabric wall covering and curtain box cover were loose. Because the windows would not close 100%, one can hear the noise from the street down below all through the night. Bathroom is tiny even in a one-bedroom suite and there is very limited closet space.

Despite the convenient location and the attractive pricing, some of the more basic requirements are just below expectation unfortunately.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank doobeebaby
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear Doobeebaby,

First and foremost I would like to say thank you for making The Shoreham to be your hotel of choice on your visit to New York. I am pleased you enjoyed our prime location. I would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest and provide you with a stay that exceeds your expectations. We look forward to having you back! I will take into account your feedback and work to improve our overall guest experience.

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Shoreham for New Years 2013-2014. The rooms are very nice and the staff very kind. We had a great time and we were able to book our reservation at a great price too!
This is a great hotel and the location is fantastic. Just a few blocks away from times square and also Central Park.

Stayed: December 2013

Stephanie M,

Thank you for taking your time and leaving a trip advisor review on the Shoreham Hotel. I am pleased to learn that you loved our hotel and that our location was convenient for you.Our location makes this hotel extra special. I hope that the next time you are in New York for the holidays you choose to stay with us again.