New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Nice hotel, nice price ... Great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #313 of 479 Hotels in New York City
“Nice hotel, nice price ... Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

In some reviews people complained about the cleanliness of the room. Well the room is in need of refurbishment but it very clean. The one bedroom suite is a good size for 2 to 3 people but the bathroom is small. However the shower is amazing... adjustable water pressure and at the high end is intense!

The bed is comfortable and a king. And the massage chair was really cool and actually massages not vibrates.

Service was great from virtually all employees but doormen sometimes were hard to find.

However the best part of the hotel is its location. Just a few steps from most New York landmarks. Not even a block away from 5th Avenue shopping. Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Empire State Building, central park, and Radio City Music Hall are all within walking distance along with many phenomenal restaurants.

I would stay here again, between price and location it can't be beat.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Dear DemetriusC,

I am extremely happy to read that The Shoreham left you with a positive first impression. We strive to provide all our guests with a luxury liberated experience that exceeds expectations. I am delighted that you were able to find a comfortable stay in our hotel, and to learn that our staff treated you exceptionally well. We look forward to welcoming you back and truly appreciate your feedback.

Lisa Grossberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Thai first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Would never pay full charge for the room, was fortunate to have bought it on an on-line bidding site for about 65% of the $250/day they wanted. Hotel staff eager but one of them was rude and unapologetic when the keys to both of our rooms failed on two separate days(!), said "Why should I apologize when it's not my fault" (!) Hotel safety bad, as front door is always unlocked to any street traffic and thugs could easily enter, no guard. REASONS FOR POOR REVIEW:
1. Huge fees for room internet use daily; must go down to lobby all the time.
2. Huge cost of parking and no hotel parking. We were forced to pay $45 a day!
3. Hotel has many infrastructure problems, like plumbing and air conditioning. Owner must be pocketing too much of the profits, must be too greedy.

Room Tip: Ask for upper rooms, as there is a constant din of traffic below. Also, don't expect any view...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank JohnnyUS
Dear Johnyyus,

Thank you for sparing time and posting your review of The Shoreham on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. Please accept my sincere apologies for our lack of communication; we pride ourselves in giving the best customer service possible. I hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is greatly misrepresented online. It is in bad need of a renovation. Very small , dingy, hot hallways. Tiny elevators. Stains on the walls and a burn mark on the furniture. The bathroom was minuscule. The pillows were like small sandbags. It was noisy and our view was a brick wall. Be careful the door to the room is difficult to secure.
Upon check in we were given a room with one double bed for myself and the staff member with me. I explained I had booked a room with 2 double beds through an online booking service. The front desk staff said that was based on availability. They had such a room available but she insisted I pay a $30 upgrade fee. This uncomfortable dingy hotel cost me over $340 for one night. Never again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Susan B

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I am staying in Shoreham hotel currently and so far, it's not clear why there are such high mark reviews.
We got inside facing room and noise from fans is unbearable, no way you can sleep, a/c is very old and it sounds amaizing as well.
What I may say is that location is very good and person at the reception had promised to change the room. Lets see, keep u posted!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Andrey A
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I understand that the hotel was fully renovated less than 10 years ago and it needs another one urgently. In our room the air-conditioners were noisy and the windows won't close properly. In addition, the fabric wall covering and curtain box cover were loose. Because the windows would not close 100%, one can hear the noise from the street down below all through the night. Bathroom is tiny even in a one-bedroom suite and there is very limited closet space.

Despite the convenient location and the attractive pricing, some of the more basic requirements are just below expectation unfortunately.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
1 Thank doobeebaby
Dear Doobeebaby,

First and foremost I would like to say thank you for making The Shoreham to be your hotel of choice on your visit to New York. I am pleased you enjoyed our prime location. I would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest and provide you with a stay that exceeds your expectations. We look forward to having you back! I will take into account your feedback and work to improve our overall guest experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Shoreham for New Years 2013-2014. The rooms are very nice and the staff very kind. We had a great time and we were able to book our reservation at a great price too!
This is a great hotel and the location is fantastic. Just a few blocks away from times square and also Central Park.

Stayed December 2013
Stephanie M,

Thank you for taking your time and leaving a trip advisor review on the Shoreham Hotel. I am pleased to learn that you loved our hotel and that our location was convenient for you.Our location makes this hotel extra special. I hope that the next time you are in New York for the holidays you choose to stay with us again.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We booked with the Shoreham because of it's great price($179 a night) and it's location. Central Park ,5th Ave and Times Square were all within walking distance.
At 179 a night we weren't expecting the hotel to wow us. At that price it was a steal for NYC. The linens and carpets could use a major overhaul as they looked dingy and old. The thing that shocked us the most was the washroom. It didn't have a bath tub. There was a shower head in the washroom but there were no curtains to prevent the floors, toilet and the rest of the washroom from getting completely soaked. It reminded me of my hostel travelling days!! With my 3yr old with me, this set up wouldn't work. I complained and they switched our room promptly. The only reason this hotel is getting a 3 is because of front desk staff. I don't remember their names but they were all extremely helpful and wanted to make our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Don't book room 210
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Gold-coins12
Dear Gold-coins12,

Thank you for your candid and thorough review of The Shoreham Hotel. On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for staying. I will be sure to share your positive notes with my team as they will be excited to hear that their service and amenities made your stay unforgettable. I hope that next time you choose to visit NYC again you decide to stay at the Mansfield hotel; we would be delighted to have you back!

Be well,