“Very pleased with hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #304 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Aviston, Illinois
“Very pleased with hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

Planned family vacation to NYC, and found great deal on Travelzoo for the Shoreham Hotel a number of months ago. Vacationed in NYC and stayed at the Shoreham hotel for one week in May. Had a fabulous time! Hotel was in a great location between 5th and 6th Avenues, and 3 blocks from Central Park. Hotel was comfortable & staff was very accommodating. We stayed in 2 rooms on 8th floor, which was very quiet and relaxing. Obviously didn't spend that much time in the hotel with all the sights to see in New York City, but when at the hotel, we enjoyed it very much. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, the better.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dugenheim
Dear Dugenheim,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our rooms were to your liking! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to call me directly; we will do our best to top your last stay!

LIsa Grossberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Thai first
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

I had been worrying about booking the Shoreham based on some reviews, but every hotel in NY has a number of negative reviews and based on the price I was getting I decided it was worth a punt. I have stayed at 6 other hotels in NY and this was by far the best and not much more in terms of cost (I did get a deal though so worth keeping an eye out for those).

I stayed for 6 nights in June to celebrate my birthday, I decided to go for a Junior suite as it came with a Jacuzzi bath which I thought would be nice to use at the end of a long day exploring the city. The room on the 8th floor was a great size especially by NY standards, it had the bedroom area and a separate living area (no door) with a sofa bed and second TV. the bathroom was also a good size. It was all very clean and fresh. The negatives were the aircon was pretty loud, but we decided we could still sleep through it as it was very hot outside. The room overlooked a light well so you are staring at other windows but this doesn't bother as is standard in New York and I much prefer this to road noise if you are over looking the street. We didn't get any noise from other rooms.

On the 2nd day we decided to check out the bath ready for the evening, It spewed out a lot of dirt and filth. So we reported this to reception explain we wanted to use it and could they get it cleaned out. When we got back we noticed that the power wasn't working in the room, a quick call to reception and the maintenance guy came up and switched it back on (they had turned it off to look at the bath). He then explained that they could not get the bath to work. We then discussed with reception what they could do explaining that this was the reason we booked this specific room. They offered us a 1 bed suite but this did not have the bath, they then upgraded us to one of the Penthouse rooms which did have a Jacuzzi bath and this was fantastic.
We were in PH10 and it was huge, with the added bonus of a sun terrace over looking the street. You couldn't hear any street noise once inside and I would highly recommend this room if you can afford it.

Overall I would recommend both rooms, and would have been more than happy with Junior suite had the bath been working correctly. Both rooms had a decent hair dryer, iron and mini ironing board which was great. I would like free wifi in all rooms as I think this is something that is standard in a lot of hotels now but you can get it down in reception where there were generally plenty of seats.

Room Tip: higher level if overlooking the front or ask for one at the back, you don't get a view but there...
1 Thank premium_dude
Dear premium_dude,

Thank you for such a wonderful review – I am extremely happy to read that The Shoreham left you with a positive first impression. We strive to provide all our guests with a luxury liberated experience that exceeds expectations. I am delighted that you were able to find a comfortable stay in our hotel, and to learn that our staff treated you exceptionally well. Our Junior suites are my personal favourite! I apologize you were not able to experience the Jacuzzi, but the Jacuzzi in the pent house is just as great. I am pleased we were able to provide you with exceptional service and that you enjoyed your overall stay. We look forward to welcoming you back and truly appreciate your feedback.

North Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Went here for the first time in May/ June with my husband so we didn't know too much about the hotels and locations but we were so happy with this one. The location was perfect for us; just a few blocks from all the popular places. The room was large and clean and quiet. We didn't face the street so that was probably why. The girl at the front desk said the garbage trucks could be quite loud in the morning so we opted to stay in the room with no view. Which ended up being fine because we were too busy seeing all the views while walking around the city we didn't care about our room not having one. I wasn't too sure about the bed because it was very firm but I slept great, was so tired that it never bothered me. The bathroom was small, wish there was more counter space by the sink but the shower was large and the water pressure great so it worked just fine. There was a large counter with drawers in the room so that made up for the lack of counter in the bathroom. The staff were fantastic! So helpful and friendly. They had great ideas for restaurants which we enjoyed, one being just around the corner called Pazza Notte - great Martini's! The hotel has its own bar area that has big doors that open up to the street. We never ended up going for a drink there but it looked like a nice place. We had a fantastic time in the city and I can't wait to go back!

Dear Lisa M,

Thank you for choosing the Shoreham! We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your first visit to New York. I have just finished reading your review and cannot wait to forward it to our amazing staff. We all get so much pleasure and inspiration from guests like you. Thank you for sharing your experience with trip advisor and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Having never been to New York we let our agent book the most appropriate hotel for us. We were really happy with her choice. The location was perfect for us - proximity to the park, restaurants and subway. The overall hotel had a very modern, clean appearance. The room was small but we expected that with what we had read about New York. The bed was comfortable and we were mostly happy. We did find that housekeeping shorted our towels pretty well every day. One day we had no hand towels left for us so had to call for some. We would also have liked an ice machine as I felt uncomfortable bothering room service for ice. We did without. Overall, our first time in New York was wonderful and we hope to return and will look to the Shoreham for our accommodations.

1 Thank Katfowler40
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Katfowler40,

I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham. It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. To be near all of the shopping, restaurants, coffee shops, and sites of Central Park is hard to beat. Please accept my apology for any issues you had with the room. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback We look forward to welcoming you back!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We went here for my 40th in May and was very pleased with the hotel.
I had worried about the rooms as it is a pet friendly hotel, however there was nothing to worry about as they were spotless. Maybe could do with a new carpet but it was clean so not an issue.
We took our daughter and our friend flew over from the UK with her daughter, if you take kids be sure to book a suite as this has separate bedrooms and a small living room with tv for kids to chill while you get ready, or when you return after a very, very busy day. The extra space is well worth having.
The staff are very friendly at the Shoreham, willing to help with any questions or concerns.
The location is great - just off 5th avenue and has easy access to all the popular sights.
I can't review the food here as we ate out for each meal.
They have a coffe area which had complimentary coffee, although only until 11am.
The bar is nice and has friendly staff, but maybe a little pricey, however this is NYC.
Overall a great stay and a great location - easy reach to everything
GLRKAR of PITTSBURGH

• Stayed May 2014
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear GLRKAR,

Thank you for sparing time and posting your review of The Shoreham on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. I am happy to note that the services rendered by the hotel were to your satisfaction. My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

We chose this hotel based on the location which seems excellent for the price. It is really a great location: next to fifth avenue, central park and times square. We were both very impressed with the hotel ,sure the rooms are small and view from window non existent .This is a very minor criticism .The staff are wonderful our room was very clean and bed very comfortable.

Room Tip: No rooms have view so doesnt matter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aph1985
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear aph1985,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and candid feedback with us. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our location and comfortable beds. I am glad you also liked our amazing staff. We look forward to welcoming you back .

London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

We chose this hotel based on the location which seems excellent for the price. It is really a great location: next to fifth avenue and central park as well as Mona. The room were certainly not small, in fact they were big by European standards. The aesthetic was stylish and modern although the bathroom was quire small. The WiFi in the lobby was quite handy too.

The downsides: the free coffee which is promised was never available! Of the five mornings we were there, we had it once, with the machine out of service the other four. Which was nice but we had expected it to be available every day!

On out fourth night, at the end of a busy day, we returned home and my husband went to the bathroom to find a huge cockroach there! It ran out into the room where he killed it. The hotel dent someone immediately who disposed of it and then suggested we move rooms, which was good, but even so you don't want to find cockroaches in your room at the end of the day. (The second bathroom was much bigger however).

Or final issue was our transport to Newark airport. On finding out there was no public transport at 4am,we asked reception for advice. They suggested a car company which would cost $85 (including toll). When we asked about a yellow cab they said it would cost a lot more as it was metered. So we booked the car. On checking out, we asked if there car was there and were told by one of the reception staff it was there but there was no driver. Her colleague then went to check and said no it wasn't there. He then called the firm who said they didn't have a booking and then next car would be 40 minute. It turned out the hotel had booked us a car for 4pm not 4am! We then had to get a yellow cab, which we were worried about having been warned about the huge cost. Turned out to be $77 (including toll!). I think they must have a deal with the car company or something whereby they scare you into ordering with it so you actually pay more money than you would with a cab. They didn't offer to cover the cost or anything which I think a better hotel would have as it was entirely their fault.

In short, we had a great holiday but that was due to the city not the hotel. I wouldn't stay here again but if you must then don't use their car service!

Room Tip: Room 408 has a big bathroom, 908 has a small one.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sonia W
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Sonia W,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The Shoreham. We are sincerely sorry to hear that the visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem. I welcome the opportunity to reach out to myself directly , and sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels