“Very good location”

Ranked #314 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Very good location”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We chose this hotel based on the location which seems excellent for the price. It is really a great location: next to fifth avenue, central park and times square. We were both very impressed with the hotel ,sure the rooms are small and view from window non existent .This is a very minor criticism .The staff are wonderful our room was very clean and bed very comfortable.

Room Tip: No rooms have view so doesnt matter.
1 Thank aph1985
Dear aph1985,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and candid feedback with us. We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our location and comfortable beds. I am glad you also liked our amazing staff. We look forward to welcoming you back .

LIsa Grossberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Thai first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We chose this hotel based on the location which seems excellent for the price. It is really a great location: next to fifth avenue and central park as well as Mona. The room were certainly not small, in fact they were big by European standards. The aesthetic was stylish and modern although the bathroom was quire small. The WiFi in the lobby was quite handy too.

The downsides: the free coffee which is promised was never available! Of the five mornings we were there, we had it once, with the machine out of service the other four. Which was nice but we had expected it to be available every day!

On out fourth night, at the end of a busy day, we returned home and my husband went to the bathroom to find a huge cockroach there! It ran out into the room where he killed it. The hotel dent someone immediately who disposed of it and then suggested we move rooms, which was good, but even so you don't want to find cockroaches in your room at the end of the day. (The second bathroom was much bigger however).

Or final issue was our transport to Newark airport. On finding out there was no public transport at 4am,we asked reception for advice. They suggested a car company which would cost $85 (including toll). When we asked about a yellow cab they said it would cost a lot more as it was metered. So we booked the car. On checking out, we asked if there car was there and were told by one of the reception staff it was there but there was no driver. Her colleague then went to check and said no it wasn't there. He then called the firm who said they didn't have a booking and then next car would be 40 minute. It turned out the hotel had booked us a car for 4pm not 4am! We then had to get a yellow cab, which we were worried about having been warned about the huge cost. Turned out to be $77 (including toll!). I think they must have a deal with the car company or something whereby they scare you into ordering with it so you actually pay more money than you would with a cab. They didn't offer to cover the cost or anything which I think a better hotel would have as it was entirely their fault.

In short, we had a great holiday but that was due to the city not the hotel. I wouldn't stay here again but if you must then don't use their car service!

Room Tip: Room 408 has a big bathroom, 908 has a small one.
1 Thank Sonia W
Dear Sonia W,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The Shoreham. We are sincerely sorry to hear that the visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem. I welcome the opportunity to reach out to myself directly , and sincerely hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Just returned to UK after a weeks stay in NYC.My partner and myself chose the Shoreham for its excellent location and reasonably priced rooms .We were both very impressed with the hotel ,sure the rooms are small and view from window non existent .This is a very minor criticism .The staff are wonderful our room was very clean and bed very comfortable.

Room Tip: We had room 414 very quiet .No noise from other rooms.
Dear 652lizzie44,

Thank you for sharing your review for the Shoreham on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that our price range suited your budgeting needs. I am also glad that you liked our prime location, this is what makes our hotel a true gem. The various tourist attractions, shopping and numerous amount of subway stations surrounding the hotel makes it extra special. I would like to take the opportunity to invite you back to the hotel, the next time you visit New York.

Los Gatos, California
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I came here on the second leg of our honeymoon and couldn't have been happier. The staff was AMAZING. I absolutely loved them all. For that alone I would stay here again. They were so kind and friendly. Our room was tiny compared to rooms we usually stay in but it is NYC! I love the location, it's walking distance to Times Square and the park. The room was clean and definitely modern. The only issue I had was that you had to call downstairs for ice ---- BUT they always brought it up quickly! I will definitely be a return customer!

Dear JennrB,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! I am beyond enthused that my staff was able to provide you with exceptional service during your stay. I will be sure to commend each of them for the job well done. On the behalf of the Shoreham, we would love to have you back the next time you are in NYC.

Warmest regards,
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Excellent location and in Manhattan the location is really a plus! I have stayed there twice and I have always been quite comfortable and well treated by all the staff. The bathroom is extremely small and the window view are terrible. In any case I will stay here again based on the location and the cost/benefit equation. It is not a luxury hotel but it is really convenient. In addition, the staff took care of all my transportation requirements in avery efficient way. I certainly wil stay in this place again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Edgardo M,

Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review on the Shoreham Hotel. We would like to thank you for visiting us again. I am delighted that our location and cost benefits are very beneficial to you. Please contact me the next time you are in New York City so that we can give you a complimentary upgrade based on availability, so that you may be able to see our other room types and different views. We look forward to hearing from you.

Stratford, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I only have 2 complaints...It took 3 phones to get a remote over a 3 day period. The view from our room was terrible. It was of a dirty stairwell. Other than that the hotel staff was very friendly. We checked in quickly and checked out quickly....

Room Tip: Ask for a great view room...Maybe it will be better on a high floor
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Jon B,

Thank You for taking your time to leave us such a beautiful review on the Mansfield Hotel. We take into account all comments as they are crucial in helping us provide the best customer service possible. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in NYC.

Warmest Regards,
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Shoreham Hotel. It is located on 55th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. The desk staff is very friendly. Our room was clean and modern. It was not grand but certainly not petite as other rooms we've been in in NYC. Lot's of good restaurants nearby and MOMA one block away. I would recommend it very highly.

Room Tip: There is a fitness center and free coffee and tea is available in the lobby before 11:00AM.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Artymom,

I will like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please feel free to contact myself or the front office for any future stays, and accommodations prior to your arrival. Once again, thank you and we hope you had a safe journey home; but please know you will always have a place to stay here at The Shoreham.