“Street noise was unbearable!”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #306 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed in room 302, a one bedroom suite. The room was very clean, and nicely decorated, but showed wear. I arrived late afternoon and went out for dinner soon after. All was not well once I went to bed at about 10:30 p.m. There was a pervasive odor of cigarettes all night as if it were seeping in from below. It was not bad enough to be nauseating, however. The street noise was never-ending. I listened to recycling collection of what must have been hundreds of bottles, drunk people talking and yelling, cars beeping, truck engines revving and whining, police and fire sirens. I stay in NYC for a few days each year, but have never been lower than the 9th floor, so that may be the problem. The mattress sucked. The heating unit in the bedroom did not work. At 2:30 a.m., I finally pulled the bedding off and made the sofa into a bed, put the wall heating unit on high and slept with my head farthest away from the window. It was a sleepless night and I had an all-day meeting the next day. The staff was friendly, but did not ask at checkout "how was everything?"

Room Tip: avoid low floors or bring a noise machine
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
david_sandler, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Janeymackvt,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

David Sandler

There are newer reviews for Shoreham

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Sorry it took me so long to write this, almost 1yr later. The staff Shoreham was awesome. From check in to hanging out at the bar downstairs. Spencer was just super attentive! My 1st time in NYC, an emotional one since it was our team's 1st AIDS Walk NYC... Thank you!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
david_sandler, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Omaira J,

We were delighted to receive and so pleased that you enjoyed your first stay at The Shoreham. I am particularly pleased that you have mentioned our Front of House team who demonstrated such great hospitality to you. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Booked this hotel online for our honeymoon, just based on the reviews and location and figured we would upgrade to a suite when we got there if needed. First room was a bit small so explained the situation to the staff and they bent over backwards to accommodate us. The staff was so friendly and helpful and understood the value of the service provided as being as important as the accommodation you pay for; something that has been lost in the last few years in the service industry. The location is unbelievable, you walk out your door and you're in central park in a few minutes, you're on fifth avenue in 30 seconds, we found an amazing coffee shop two blocks away, all in all for a NYC midtown experience, this hotel is unbeatable. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. Bed was amazing as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
david_sandler, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Thedrizzlekd,

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is you typical tiny NYC room. I've stayed in many hotels and they are all like this-so put that aside, because that is how it is in the Big Apple for us commoners. The front desk was helpful, the room was clean and neat. The best part is the location- a few blocks to the subway, many drugstores near by (so you don't pay $7 for a water from the mini-bar) all the fine Fifth Avenue stores, Rockefeller Center, Central Park and Times Square within walking distance. The room is not made for more than two- there is no extra space- and only a queen size bed ( me &my 5 year-old son stayed for three days and it was fine.) There is only a shower and small sink area. The place is modern looking, the staff was great, friendly, attentive, and easy to deal with. The concierge was nice. It's also nice to have a bunch of little restaurants and pubs within the block. I would recommend it if you get a good price IMO, under $200, is a good price for this. Oh, and they stock the bathroom with Aveda products, so that's a nice added touch too. 24/7 in room dining -didn't eat there, so can't comment on it . I'd say this is a good place for a couple who wants to be in NYC for a few nights. Or a single person.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Karen E

Dear Karen E,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham . It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our breakfast, rooms, and bar throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Hi. We have a group staying with you for a few days. Any chance that you can prepare all of the key packets for my 8 other rooms arriving this evening? No. We don't do that.
Can someone figure out why there is a dog whining and barking in a room adjacent to mine for the last 3 hours. No.
Do you have ice machines. No.
Can you take this bag up to the room of one of the members of our group. No.
Brutal.
Does the climate control work in the room. No.
I just spent 8 days in the City. The first 6 were spent at the Hotel Beacon. Their service was exactly the opposite. Everything was a yes. It was a dream.
Luckily, I only spent 2 nights in the Shoreham. Don't get me wrong, it is mostly serviceable.
The bed was a bit comfortable. Not lights out, but not brutal. Not great linens on the bed.
The TV worked. It had the channels that I liked. It was not in HD like my prior one was at the Hotel Beacon. Turns out, it is a huge step back.
Internet was a bit frustrating. I signed onto the "SHOREHAM" wifi. Nothing but tears. I was told to sign onto that one. I tried the "Shoreham" one for giggles. That was the ticket.
Room was small and they had put up a cubicle divider which only made it smaller.
You could hear everything going on on your floor. Especially a dog in the room adjacent which was obviously missing it's owner. That gets old fast.
Bathroom worked. Small, but functional. Shower pressure was good. Aveda supplies were pretty much the highlight of the whole joint.
Some of the staff were friendly. Most seem to be indifferent. Almost as if they hadn't been paid in like a month. Customer service, folks, it drives the world.
To be fair, we ended up with about 25 or so room nights with our group. A small drop in the bucket to the hotel. But, the company that we work for is one of the largest in the world in it's field. I will gladly let them know that I wouldn't book anyone here in the future. They obviously don't want our business.
No, no, no. No, I will not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jon S

Dear Jon S,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. I'm disappointed to hear that you experienced some service issues, and I assure you this is not typical of the customer service we provide. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The outside air conditionings were very very noisyly overnight and the door of the backstairs closed noisily every morning. Moreover, the room heating was broken almost every day. Room too much expensive!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
david_sandler, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear The_One_BCN,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your room; this is definitely not typical of the service we offer at our hotel. If you are ever in New York again, please feel free to reach out to us as we would be more than happy to try and make it up to you.

Regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I booked a room at the Shoreham for a recent business trip. My reason for selecting this hotel was its close proximity to where I was working. The location is convenient to midtown. That is really the only positive thing I can say about the Shoreham. My room was the smallest I have ever stayed at in a U.S. hotel (and I spend more than 70 nights a year on the road). I have stayed in a few smaller rooms in Europe, but have never been able to reach out and touch the bathroom light from my bed in this country. Looking out of my window offered no relief from the cramped experience as all I was able to see was fire escape stars and a brick wall. I will not be staying at the Shoreham again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Roadwarrior923

Dear Roadwarrior923,

Thank you for the detailed review. We strive to provide attentive, friendly service, which makes your negative experience that much more disheartening. Please be assured we are looking into your complaints, comfort and quality is very important to us. We would love the opportunity to surpass your expectations and hope you’ll have a change of heart.

Thank you.