“Great location; classy boutique vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #305 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Conway, Arkansas
“Great location; classy boutique vibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

This hotel is a GREAT location if you're planning to explore Times Square, the Broadway area, etc. We stayed in a 2bedroom suite with a sitting area... it was very spacious compared to the single rooms. If you're looking for room to move around, I suggest avoiding the single rooms. They would be great for a couple, but cramped with 3 or more people. Additionally, I was very please with the modern decor and the excellent service and attentiveness of the staff.

Room Tip: The suites are definitely the way to go!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
david_sandler, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Katy B,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm glad to hear our location was convenient for you and that you enjoyed the Decor of our property.We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location is one of the key features that makes our property special and a true hidden gem! My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

David Sandler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Thai first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

The staff at this hotel are simply just wonderful to their guests. Sunan, in the restaurant, is attentive and so accommodating. We thoroughly enjoyed breakfast and free wifi there every morning.

The rooms are comfortable and cozy. They're not large, but about equivalent in size to other hotels in the area. It's very quiet and serene- slept like a baby! This is a great value and so conveniently located to Broadway, Midtown, and Central Park.

They could stand to upgrade the equipment in their fitness center, but it suited my needs just fine.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Amy Miles,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham . It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our breakfast, staff throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Warm Regards,

David Sandler
Redwood City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Came here for the long weekend with my wife, and friends, and was able to get a great deal at the Shoreham. While not much to look at from the outside, inside, the Shoreham is decorated nicely, with modern decor and colors. Situated between 5th and 6th avenue, on W55th, it was conveniently located to all midtown sights, and a short walk to the park, shopping, and grand central. Being two blocks from the famed "halal guys" cart is an added bonus, and the variety of food/drinks in the area is great. Loved the proximity to everywhere we wanted to go, and being close to subway stations, and taxis got us anywhere we needed to be.

Knowing that we were arriving early, I called a day earlier to see if we could check in early in the morning. The front desk was able to accommodate and we were able to check in as soon as we got there. When we checked out, they were able to hold our bags, and call us a large SUV to JFK, which could fit 8 people. Everyone was friendly, and the staff definitely helped however they could whenever we had any questions.

The rooms are fairly typical for boutiques in Manhattan (small), but if you get a room with two queen beds, expect it to be a bit larger. The room we had was akin to any Starwood Aloft hotel and actually almost looked like it could have been one, if the bathroom was behind the beds, rather than off to the side. The shower pressure was one of the strongest/best showers I've had in a hotel. The only thing to note was that the heater in the room didn't work, and after a maintenance guy "fixed" it at 2am, it took another maintenance guy the next day to actually fix it. Once it was fixed, it almost worked too well, and the room was always warm. While the room/hotel didn't feel luxurious, it was clean and comfortable.

If someone was to ask, I would definitely have the Shoreham on my list of places to stay in Midtown. I've stayed at the Hilton/Sheraton for work, and they really aren't worth the extra money they charge. I thought the Shoreham had everything we needed and there wasn't too much negative about it, especially for the price!

Room Tip: Many rooms have a view of...other rooms. If you can get a street facing room, you will have somewhat...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gissel B, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Derek C,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Shoreham. I’m glad you found and your wife found our rooms and amenities were up to your standards. We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location is one of the key features that makes our property special and a true hidden gem including our proximity to the best Halal food in NYC! My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed at the Shoreham with my Boyfriend in May-June, 2013. My first impression of the hotel was that is was very boutique-like, modern and chic. We were greeted and taken care of by the front desk staff who were helpful during our stay. Our room was very small, but clean cozy and perfect for our stay. The location was perfect, far enough away from Time Square so you didn't get noise pollution but close enough to walk to. Central Park was a close walk also. It was a great romantic stay and I would surely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovetyyc
Dear Lovetyyc,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Shoreham. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham . It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our staff and rooms throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I just signed up for TripAdvisor but stayed here in June 2013. The staff were very friendly, the rooms were cozy (slightly small but very comfortable) and the location was phenomenal. We stayed here for 4 nights and had no issues at all. We loved this place and will stay here again, hopefully in the near future. I feel obligated to say - Let's Go Raptors, Leafs and Blue Jays!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NainTrain
Dear Nain Train,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Shoreham. I’m glad you found our rooms comfortable and our location convenient. We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location is one of the key features that makes our property special and a true hidden gem! My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Best,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Last time I was in NYC, I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria and was utterly disappointed with the rooms and the amount you pay!

Booked the Shoreham and read mixed reviews. Once I arrived, the concierge at the desk (David) was fantastic and helpful! Got wifi included which was a bonus.

The rooms are a good size, the washroom I had (with a bathtub) was a very large sized bathroom! There was even a MASSAGE Chair in the room!!! That was a HUGE bonus. The decode was modern even though the building and area are older.

I would and will definitely stay there again. The LOCATION is FANTASTIC. I walked almost everywhere I wanted to and all within 15 minutes in all direction. Within 5 minutes of walking and I was at plenty of shopping, restaurants and about 4 Starbucks!

The only negative I can think of is that all the bathroom toilets flush quite loudly. So when it's very quiet at night, you can actually hear other toilets flushing. It didn't bother me at all, but it was something I noticed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Vayne
Dear Vayne,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We were delighted to receive and so pleased that you enjoyed your first stay at The Shoreham. I am particularly pleased that you have mentioned our Front of House team who demonstrated such great hospitality to you. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards,

Aberdeen, Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for business.

Firstly, the good things:
Great location just off 5th Ave and close to restaurants, bars and shops
Friendly and helpful staff
It had a safe in the room
Room was clean
It had a gym although a fairly basic one

Now the bad which is a bigger list!
Small and cramped room
Hotel in need of complete refurbishment as looking worn, tired and very dated
Generator or something mechanical outside my window which never seemed to switch off
At breakfast/ dinner time the room smelled of food. When it wasn't meal time it had a musky smell like it had been smoked in so I'm guessing it was an old smoking room
A light was hanging out of the roof
Room temperature seemed to go from one extreme to another - either like an oven or a freezer. The air conditioning unit did not seem to work properly
Although the room was clean, there was a cigarette butt under the pillar outside my room on the 3rd floor by the lift - I'm 6 foot tall and could see it but apparently the cleaner could not

In summary I would not want to stay here again by choice and would not recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jonnyboy1973
Gissel B, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Jonnyboy1973,

Thank you for the detailed review. We strive to provide attentive, friendly service, which makes your negative experience that much more disheartening. Please be assured we are looking into your heating issue comfort and quality are very important to us. We’ll pass along your feedback to our team in order to continue providing valued service. We would love the opportunity to surpass your expectations and hope you’ll have a change of heart.

Thank you.