“It is a three star not a four”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #321 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Phoenix, Maryland
“It is a three star not a four”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Staff was very friendly and the room though small was clean. The lightning in the rooms is awful but we did not get the room to read in. For the price it is about what you would expect in NY. Location is its biggest plus and the friendly front desk morning shift.

Room Tip: Adequate for the price.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suediff
Dear Suediff,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear our location was convenient for you and that you found our staff friendly. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll accommodate you with a room that better suits your needs. Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best,
Gissel Barriola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Thai first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Very comfortable, and extremely well located. Staff was very helpful. Would recommend heartily. Big shoutout to Sunny in the bar, and the front desk staff, who helped us take care of business matters without a hitch. Rooms were nice with a clean, modern design. I might not use the massage lounger in the future. It was a bit aggressive for me.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Frank M,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We’re delighted you chose to stay with us . We always want to make sure all of our guests have a pleasant stay. If you chose to visit us again, check out our special packages for great deals. We’ll also point you towards our favorite places to drink and dine throughout Manhattan. We hope to see you both again in the future!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Arrived late Dec 12 th and checked in to our 4 star Priceline west Midtown hotel.A surprise to say the least.Minimal signage from the street and ended up coming in the side door I guess.Felt like I was checking into the YMCA or something.Postage stamp lobby.Customers complaining about deficiencies in their stay as we checked in.Staff trying to be helpful at the front desk.Went up to room in tiny elevator and entered tiny room with frayed old carpet and scuff marks on the walls.Felt it best to check mattress for bedbugs.Huge stain and fraying of the mattress with a pubic hair thrown in.No curtain on the bathroom window ironing board iron missing.Too depressing had to check out and move to a real 4 star.Tried to get reimbursed for days not used.No response from hotel.Priceline leaves it up to hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard F
Dear Richard F,

Thank you for the detailed review. We strive to provide attentive, friendly service, which makes your negative experience that much more disheartening. Please be assured we are looking into your housekeeping incident, cleanliness and quality is also very important to us. We’ll pass along your feedback to our team in order to continue providing valued service. We would love the opportunity to surpass your expectations and hope you’ll have a change of heart.

Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Ohio City, Colorado
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The only complaint I have is the construction on I-75. This was our second time staying at this hotel in this location. They didn't have a queen double so they gave us a King deluxe. The room was a corner room which I loved. It was so clean everything looked new.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Erin P,

Thank you staying with us here at The Shoreham and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Shoreham . It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with your roomand its cleanliness. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Sag Harbor, New York
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I chose this hotel based on location, and the location was the only positive thing about our stay. Upon check-in the hotel did not have the room I had reserved (2 queen beds, non-smoking) so they offered to "upgrade" us to the penthouse level. Prior to taking the "upgrade" I was told it was 1 king bed and a pull out sofa, that I was assured was comfortable. It was a queen bed and futon. The room itself was larger in square footage but ultimately, we had to give up a bed. When we got in that evening, the room across the hall was having a party. At 10:45, we asked the front desk to handle the VERY LOUD party. Front desk (in a not overly friendly manner) explained that they were already aware of the party and were handling it. I waited until after 11pm, went back and requested they handle the situation. The front desk person, knocked on the door (saw a party) asked them to be quiet and walked away. The party continued (sounded like a dorm room "chug! chug! chug!") The room across the hall had a balcony (that wrapped around the exterior of our room) and the group had graciously taken the party outside. It's now midnight so I asked the front desk for a room change.

We were sent to a smoking floor (assured it didn't smell like smoke and yes it did) with another queen bed and futon. At this point, sleep was the priority so we switched rooms. Please note, management didn't offer to help move our things, or set up the sofa bed (since we obviously were not getting the 2 queen beds originally booked). The room was freezing, and there's no thermostat, it's a large hot air vent/fan. It's extremely dry and made the room super hot, so it had to be turned off but by the morning, it was freezing again. One of the televisions in the room also did not work. At this point we were facing 55th and on a lower level, I felt like we were sleeping on the street. It was extremely LOUD. I've stayed many times in NYC (multiple times a year), most recently in Times Square. In all of my stays I have never heard so much street noise in my room. Possibly the hotel needs to do some upgrades in their windows.

Front desk did not apologize for ANY of the inconveniences. Upon checkout, the staff did not even ask about our stay.

The hotel needs updating; carpets are dirty, furniture was mostly microfiber and appeared to be stained. I would never stay there again nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Amy_M06
Dear Amy_M06,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Went to the shoreham for a birthday weekend. Stayed on the 7th floor overlooking 55th street. Rooms were clean, small in size but we expected that. Staff was vey helpful and accommodating. Location is perfect. Walking distance to many areas. Only complaint we had is that the key to our room didn't work two times and required going back to the desk. We would def stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gissel B, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Debbie L,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our location and our staff was helpful! We pride ourselves in making every guest stay as memorable as possible. We hope that you will choose to stay with us in your future stays in NYC. Please feel free to call me directly; we will do our best to top your last stay!

Best,

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Tiny rooms ( and we had the "penthouse" level). Outdated. Our room assignment was messed up several times. They sent us 4 times to one room-we kept telling them our key didn't work. Instead of checking it themselves, they sent us up and down their slow elevator each time. On the fourth time, and Asian couple that had just come in on a very long flight, politely told us the room was occupied, we had awoken them trying to get our key to work. No apology from mgr. The bar was dingy and outdated, and the "free" breakfast they comped us for our trouble was continental and apparently given to about everybody-and was very poor on choices, we ate out instead. Location is awesome though. We have stayed in NYC a lot, and this was definitely about the worst. A couple of employees were outstanding though, I wish I remembered their names to mention them.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Gissel B, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Dutchgirl6319,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm disappointed to hear that you experienced some service issues, and I assure you this is not typical of the customer service we provide. If you decide to give us another chance please feel free to reach out to me directly for your future booking needs.