“Convenient and nice”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #317 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Shoreham is a nice boutique hotel just off Fifth Ave., which makes it convenient to shopping, Broadway, Central Park, and all the major subway lines. The staff is friendly and accommodating, especially Jonathan, who helped us secure an upgrade to an exterior room with very little hassle at a very good price. Book directly on line for good rates and upgrade opportunities. The one-bedroom suite is very nice; another suite had a terrace (this was a penthouse room), which was just great. Front desk staff was friendly throughout. A bit of a wrestle to get the "free coffee" in the morning--lots of jostling other guests in a small, closet-like coffee room. But a nice gesture. Room is comfortable, bright, and clean. Good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room for more light, though they're fairly noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear JSD57,
Thank you so much for your thorough review. Your feedback as a frequent traveler and senior contributor is very important to us, and appreciated. Our team is really great, and Jonathan is awesome. I’ll be sure and share your kind words with him and the rest of our team.
Our complimentary coffee service is always a hit, glad you got to sample it.
We hope to have the pleasure of your company in the near future.
With warmest regards,
Glenda Maldonado

Write a ReviewReviews (1,858)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Big, big, big thanks to the staff at the Shoreham. I have NEVER come across such an accommodating crew at a hotel in ANY city! Marco, Jonathan, Bex, the room service staff...thanks so much! The room and hotel were nice, great rate, clean and efficient. Location was great. But really it was the staff that was impressive. Stayed there one night with the girls for a night on the town before my wedding and everyone was just so helpful.

Thanks you!!!

Room Tip: only gave 4 out of 5 stars for sleep quality b/c my bedroom in the suite had a noisy AC unit but it...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Casey_Casey1,
Congratulations on your wedding! So glad you discovered the truth… that New Yorkers are the friendliest people- especially at the Shoreham! My team is genuinely outgoing and truly caring for every guest, and it makes me feel great to know that they made a difference in creating such a good and positive memory for you. Jonathan and Bekkah will be very happy to read your review.
Thanks for sharing and we hope to be your destination hotel whenever you’re in New York.
All the best,

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Some reviews made the staff to be less than helpful. Not the case. Everybody was more than helpful. More than pleasant . From Jonathan at the desk ...to the cleaning staff I felt at home.
The room was fine and for NYC,
reasonable. I'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Cstepner,
I’m glad you experienced the real Shoreham hospitality in our team! From our wonderful housekeeping team, to the desk associates, everyone really tries to exceed expectations- and we have succeeded once again.
Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to giving you that same experience upon your return.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I booked a hot rate with hotwire and ended up at the shoreham at the begining of last july. Even after reading terrible comments about that hotel on tripadvisor, I kept open minded and expected to be agreably surprised...which did not happen. The first room which was given to me looked kreepy. They were greasy looking spots on the fabrics of the wall, there seemed to be something like mold on the bathroom's ceiling and there was a strange brown spot in the curtains. I decided to overthrow the sheets of the bed and I found blood spots all over the mattress. I went back down to the lobby and they gave me another room. Same thing as for the fabrics of the wall and the bathroom...and now there was a 'yellowish' spot on the mattress...there was pee there!

In the end, I called back hotwire and had to argue for over an hour with them that this hotel was not a 4 stars and even not a 3 stars vefore I came to an agreement with them. My advice: keep away from this hotel AND from hotwire.

By the way, service at the lobby was good, they were nice in trying to change my room and understood when I checked out just a little more than an hour after checking in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Anne R
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear travel0014,
Thank you for giving us feedback on your recent stay. It’s disappointing to me to know you did not experience a positive stay. If there’s any way we can change your mind, contact me directly so we can regain your trust and have you believe in the Shoreham again.
Regards,

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My sisters and I went on our first "sisters trip" and Becca and Jonathan were a treat! They helped us with anything we needed and went above and beyond. I've stayed here before but this was a first time for my sisters. What I like is the location--between times square and Central Park. Neat, quirky boutique type hotel. We had a blast and Becca and Jonathan couldn't of been more accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Lisa W,
Thank you for falling in love with the Shoreham!! We have the same feeling . I'm so proud of our team for delivering such high level of service to you and your sisters .Your compliments of Bekkah and Jonathan are certainly appreciated. We look forward to helping you celebrate more "sister trips "here at the Shoreham.Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful visit.
Best Regards,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I really chose this location because I wanted to be walking distance to where my business meetings/events were going to be held (near Central Park), which is super convenient. I checked in with Becca, she was nice, down to earth and professional. I was pleasantly surprised that I was upgraded to a suite, I rarely get upgraded because I manage to find the best deals = cheap and I'm the last one who deserves an upgrade. The suite was 500 sq. ft. I think? It was great to have all that space. The bed was comfy but the noise from outside was bad (what else do you expect for NY?). I found a nice cafe called La Bonne Soupe right across the street where I enjoyed a light dinner.

Pros:
-Location
-Massage chair in the living room - nice I am sure after lots of walking in NY
-Aveda bath amenities were nicer than some hotels
-Called for a spare toothbrush, the operator was nice, spoke excellent English and the staff who delivered was kind and fast

Cons:
-Becca was nice, but other staff I encountered at reception was very rude
-Bellman don't seem to care too much, no name tags to know they are bellmen, both times I needed services, they couldn't care less
-Bathroom does not have enough counter space to put toiletries - as a young-ish female, this was inconvenient
-The window coverings are roller shades only, no shears, so if you want light, but not to put yourself on show, this is not convenient
-Light in the room was minimal (hence wanting to open up the windows)
-Housekeeping services were poor, first day I didn't have a bathmat, second day they placed one, didn't have enough washcloths on 2nd day and couldn't wait around to get another one delivered considering I was off to a meeting
-Decor in the living room was a little retro weird (not in a good way)
-Used shampoo, conditioner and bar of soap left in the bath tub/shower - ick!
-Elevator was very dirty
-Lobby floors felt very dirty

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear AvidTravellerDub,
First and foremost I would like to thank you for making the Shoreham your hotel of choice in NYC. I am happy to note that my staff was able to accommodate you and provide you with an upgrade that you truly deserve. I will make sure to visit with Bekkah and share your kind compliments.We were delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our tastefully appointed accommodations; the massage chair is my absolute favorite! Please be assured that we continuously reviewing all guests feedback in order to improve our service. On behalf of the entire team we all look forward to having you with us once again very soon!
Best Regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went through Hotwire for the first time ever to book a hotel for a trip to New York. I was a little leery when the Shoreham came up as the hotel as I was not familiar with them. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. We were checked in by Jonathan, who was just a jewel - courteous, accommodating. Bekka, also on the front desk was phenomenal. There were three of us in a room, and he gave us an upgrade to a more suitable room so we could each have an individual sleeping area. He offered us comp champagne, but we are non-drinkers. Had a challenge getting the wi-fi, and when I asked him about it, he gave it to me for free for the whole time I was there. His suggestion for dinner was great - wound up eating there three times. Rooms were great - nice size, queen beds - allowed each of us to have privacy. Hotel within blocks of Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller Center.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear BeeBeeGirl62,
Thank you for writing such a kind review. I’m glad your experience was so positive, and that you felt the comfortable, and genuine service that my team such as Bekka and Jonathan provide. They’ll be so happy to receive this feedback. We’re glad our 1 bedroom suites were perfect for your party, and that we rectified any issues right away. We know that timing and quick solutions are what makes the difference. Again, thank you so much for sharing and we look forward to your next visit.
All the best,