“Sufficient”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #304 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hotel was sufficient for our needs. Location was very good and the hotel staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a bit drab, a few stains on the carpet and sofa etc but not terrible. The bathroom is small but again sufficient for needs. Would be great if there was free wifi in the rooms for an added extra
We were originally put in a room on the second floor street side and woken up at 6am with noise from the traffic, so we asked to switch rooms. The staff made it very easy, moved our packed cases for us to a rom on 10th floor, much better

Room Tip: As high a room as possible - especially if street side. Room 1007 was good
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Gary24601,
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I’m glad we met your expectations on the overall hotel, location, and value. We are very proud of the service and value we provide our guests, which is the most important aspect of any stay.
Thanks again for providing us your feedback and we hope to see you again real soon.
Glenda Maldonado

There are newer reviews for Shoreham

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Shoreham was a disappointment at every turn. Surly front desk staff and inexplicably slow check-in. The room was filthy and tiny--even by New York standards. It had a bizarre architectural feature which lowered the ceiling over the bed by a foot making the room feel even smaller. There was flourishing mold on shower floor and walls. The micro desk was chipped and dirty.

On my first night, the front desk clerk called my room a few minutes before midnight to ask how I liked my complimentary champagne--something I hadn't received. Despite my several responses that I had no idea what he was talking about, he offered to send up an ice bucket. Strange.

Looking for something positive about my stay: I can say that the Air Conditioner worked.

I can't imagine how so many rate this property highly. Clearly, none of them stayed on the 9th floor. Perhaps there are better spaces in the hotel, but I won't be risking trying to find one on any of my future stays in NY.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear cb4444
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they only hope for your return. Please contact me on your next visit to NYC and our hotel and I will personally ensure that your stay is perfect.
Best Regards,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hotel staff are great friendly helpful, location was perfect room was terrific. Tough to find good value in this area but Shoreham had it..great free coffee and champagne when you arrive. Nice and quiet too

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear KDPaine,
Thank you for falling in love with the Shoreham! I’m thrilled we exceeded your expections on our location, service, and amenities.
Thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!!
Best Regards,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The location is unbeatable but the hotel could improve a lot because it was not cheap.
The decor is outdated for a hotel boutique.
The suite has few furniture and no space to store belongings. Also, being a suite should offer more comfort conditions to eat a snack, for example. We use the windows for storage our things. I loved the massage chair. But I would prefer a normal living room.
The lights not functioned properly, the bathroom is miniscule, totally disproportionate to the size of the room.
Also our key cards didn't work many times.
But the staff working at the reception is excellent, from the doorman, Safi to Elizabeth at check-in.
Also the attention of the manager Glenda and Nadia Foster, reserves, this staff makes the difference!
Shoreham, please, invest a little in your premises and return to be the boutique hotel that you advertise!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Staff were too busy being hip to be helpful. There was absolutely no interest in me at any point in the visit--I'll admit, I'm 50, but really?? Room is typical New York small--no room to work with a giant "massage chair" taking up half the floorspace. Carpeting was old faded and worn. Lighting in room was totally inadequate. Bed comfortable and shower had good pressure, Towel rack fell off when I hung a towel on it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Jon F,
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your most recent stay. I am sorry that you did not feel welcome by our team members.We certainly take pride in our service so rarely receive negative feedback about our team. I understand your frustration and thank you for your patience and understanding. Again thank you for your feedback and welcome another opportunity to endear you in our hotel.
Best Regards

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My baggage was left unattended in the lobby. I was given inaccurate information by the front desk check-in related to my room charges. There was a lack of personal attention and warmth among the staff. Found a housekeeping staff member in my room with the door locked.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 15, 2013

So I guess I will start at the very beginning. When this hotel surfaced as an option for my company's business trip (we travel to NY 2-6X per year), I told everyone it was fine. I had stayed there 3 years prior and it had been a good experience. This stay was the polar opposite. When I checked in at 11:00, they had a room available and I was pleased. When I got to my room, it was very spacious (bedroom, sitting room, large bathroom with separate tub and shower), but on first glance, it was antiquated. Some of the walls were covered in olive fabric that had seen better days. When I walked into the bedroom area, there was a machine in the room that had a large tube connected to it that ledout the window. I still don't know if it was supplemental air conditioning, a dehumidifier, or what, and the people at the front desk didn't seem to know either. The air conditioner was running, and there were little specs of what I believe to be dust in the air and a few on the comforter. The pull down shade on the window did not work, and when i lifted it to peer out, i put it back down quickly, as the view was just other sides of the building, and i was better off with the shades down. I turned off the A/C. Luckily, the temperature outside during my stay was such that I could do that. Upon review of the room, I noticed the headboard had something splattered all over it. It was fabric, so it could have been stained, but it was gross. I used the toilet, and it ran incessantly, gurgling loudly every few minutes. I noted the sink in the bathroom was dirty and there was still garbage in the garbage can. I had to leave immediately for business meetings, so I stopped at the front desk on my way down, asked about the mystery machine, and explained about my toilet. They sent maintenance up promptly, but couldn't guarantee that the problem was fixed completely. It was. Thankfully. The next day, the outlet in the bathroom stopped working. I used the one in the bedroom area when I did my hair. The water pressure in the shower was great, but the drains couldn't seem to accommodate it, and water filled up in the tub around my ankles. It was evident the following day that the shower had not been cleaned well, because when the water filled up around my ankles again, the residue from yesterday's shower also made a reappearance. on the second day, when I came back from business meetings, my keys wouldn't work in the door. So I went back to the front desk and decided I had to say something. I explained about the condition of the room, and they looked for another room for me. It was someone named Eddie who helped me, and he seemed truly empathetic. However, as the day prior when the toilet incident occurred, there were no other rooms available. He reduced my rate by 40% for the next two nights, which I did appreciate (always happy to save the company money), but I really just wish there had been another option! So I toughed it out. Two of my colleagues had the same issue with the showers, but it looks like I drew the short straw on this trip. We won't be staying there again. My coworkers said, though their issues were minor, they worry they could end up in room 406 or another one like it. I don't blame them. I almost gave this hotel 2 stars instead of 1, because they did address the toilet and try to make amends as best they could, but it just didn't go far enough in the long run.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Jessica B

Dear Jessica B,
Thank you for sharing the details of your stay. I am grateful that you chose to stay with us again, as you had stayed previously and enjoyed enough to come back and refer others to our hotel. I take pride in our Front Desk team and was pleased to hear you were able to receive an early check in. To note, we do listen and do seriously care about our guests and am pleased that Eri, our Director of Front Office, alleviated your concerns with offer of discounts.We want all of our guests to depart with a positive memorable experience and regret that you did not experience that, we hope you will give us a chance to show you a true Shoreham experience once again.
Best Regards