“Fair Hotel But there are better”
Review of Shoreham

Shoreham
Ranked #321 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Canada
“Fair Hotel But there are better”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here during a recent weekend getaway to New York. The location is terrific and the staff are curt but efficient. Based upon some of the reviews we were expecting our room to be a broom closet but it was a nice size. The view from our room was anything but nice as we were staring down into the kitchens of an adjacent apartment building. It was February and our room was roasting hot and try as we might neither we nor the hotel's staff were able to turn down or even turn off the heat. Two of the three wake up calls we requested never arrived and the one night we decided to sit down in the hotel bar for a drink we thrown out at 11 p.m. because the bar was closing .... so much for the city that never sleeps!!!!! All in all the Shoreham is a hotel that we would neither recommend nor return to visit as there are far too many better options in the Big Apple.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Northof60Canada,
Thanks for choosing us for your recent weekend getaway in the Big Apple. I’m glad you enjoyed the size of your room, along with our great location. Our rooms do differ in size, so there are a variety of layouts, glad you enjoyed yours. I’ll address your missed wake up calls with the team, am truly sorry for that. I hope it didn’t cause too much of an inconvenience. While I realize there are many options in New York, I hope we can have the pleasure of having you stay with us again.
Best,
Glenda Maldonado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Thai first
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our room was so tiny it only would hold a bed and a desk at the end of the bed. The bathroom door was right next to the bed. The bed sank toward the middle. The towels were thin and rough. I asked for 4 bath towels and was told they didn't have enough towels to give me 4. I could only have 2. I could call the front desk the next morning after the laundry came in and get 2 more!
The sink in the bathroom reminded me of the ones on airplanes--small metal bowl that splashes water everywhere. The lobby is ugly--just a check in counter. I would never stay here again.The only positive thing I can say is that it was in a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. We didn't do this and should have.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol S
Dear carolanne454,Thanks for giving us feedback on your recent stay. It’s disappointing to me to know you did not experience a positive stay. If there’s any way we can change your mind, contact me directly so we can regain your trust and have you believe in the Shoreham again.
Regards,

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

York
Reviewed March 12, 2013

A perfect mid town location. Loved the very nearby restaurants, subway stop. Staff was very accomodating. Clean, very modern rooms. Tiny, but have all that you need (actually typical in size for the city), especially for the rate. We'll stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in room 513, one bed. Small, but very, very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear LeslieF,
Great to know our location, right off Fifth Avenue, was exactly what you needed for your trip in New York City. Thank you so much for you generous comments on our rooms and staff. I’ll be sure and share your experience, as the Shoreham team works very hard to ensure every guest has a flawless stay. Thanks for choosing us to stay in the future, it will be our pleasure to make it another memorable stay.
Warmest regards,
nyc
Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was a nice hotel especially the downstairs areas....the rooms and hallway were very claustrophobic ...it must have been an office building before. They upgraded us for free to a room with 2 beds bc the other room couldnt even fit a cot.The bed was too soft and the heat was too hot or too cold no middle ground. Our bed was behind the elevator shaft and we could hear banging all night from the elevator cables. The price was good but it think 3 stars is more like it. Staff was very nice!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear j222v1,
Thanks for your comments on your recent stay. I’m glad you enjoyed your upgraded suite, and that our staff service exceeded your expectations.
I’m sorry that you experienced noise in your room, I sure hope you reported it so we would have had the opportunity to move your room.
Glad you enjoyed the hotels, and found it to be a good value.
All the best,
Topsham, Maine
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The good thing was that the rooms were clean, it was in a very central location, and the people at the front desk were friendly . On the other side, we were charged 60.00 extra for a double room,the bathroom door did not latch, furniture in room was old, and very worn looking, heater was broken, rooms were very, very teeny, and noise from the street was very loud from 4:30 AM on. Overall not what I was expecting to say the least.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms on the 7th floor,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Glendaliz M, Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Pellhobs,
Thanks for choosing the Shoreham for your recent trip to New York City. I’m glad you found our location convenient, our staff at your service, and our accommodations clean.
There are applicable fees for more than single occupancy, I’m sorry you weren’t advised of that at the time of your reservation. We’ll ensure our website information is clear and provides those applicable fees. Regarding the heat, I hope it was brought to our attention so we could service the room. Our windows are double paned to keep most noise out, however some noise does occur as we are truly in the heart of the city. May I suggest you try one of our lovely larger junior or 1bdrm suites, facing inner courtyard. They are much quieter and have more space than the guest rooms. I would love to give you a free upgrade if you contact me directly.
Thanks again,
G.Maldonado
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I am at the airport waiting on my flight and I wanted to share with everyone how great my stay was. I arrived to a cold glass of champagne, and complementary breakfast offered by ari at the front desk. I mentioned it was my daughters bday and he upgraded us to a suite with a balcony. Our second night we ran into henry, john and him on our way to the bar and they provided us with great martini suggestion. My daughter is 22 and I know I won't get to vacation with her as much, so I want to thank you all for the great service. The people running the hotel are doing a great job.According to everyone I spoke to the general manager is truly hands on. Thank you again, and I hope to come backn or maybe just my daughter

• Stayed March 2013
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello Alice232323,
I’m humbled by your most generous comments. It makes me feel so proud to know that we helped in creating memories for you and your family. Eri, John and Henry are fantastic- they are true and genuine in their output of work, and I couldn’t be happier that you experienced true Shoreham hospitality.
Thank you again, and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back one day real soon.
We’ll be waiting, and at your service.
All the best,
Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Great location that is close to everything. Smallish rooms, small elevator (European?). Champagne at check in, coffee machine was nice. I got a pretty good rate ($179), so at that price, who can complain?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business