“Fantastic location”

Ranked #307 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed at The Shoreham for 7 nights in November 2012. Hotel is in a great location for shopping on Fifth Avenue, and for Times Square, Theatre District and Central Park. Room was fairly small as is standard for New York but was clean and modern. Two minor negative points: key didnt work when I returned on three of the nights and also there was a strong smell of bleach in the bathroom some evenings. Free glass if champagne on check in and massage chair in the room were nice touches. Good bar/restaurant area with v friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Thai first
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

The location is wonderful and unfortunately that is best thing I can say about this hotel. The extremely small rooms with even smaller bathrooms is not one I can recommend to anyone for the price. The staff did try to accommodate us, but the skunk like smell, out of order ac/heating units and 4 power outages this hotel was just horrible. I experienced staff at the front desk yelling at patrons for booking rooms through 3rd parties such as Expedia, Priceline, etc. Due to ac/heating unit going out in our room the staff offered to raise the windows, comp our dinner, give us a 10% discount, bring a fan to our room (which too stopped working), and comp our last nights stay in the hotel per the manger (which did not happen). This hotel is over priced & at best a 1/2 hotel. If you want location stay here because that is the only plus to staying at this hotel.
Never recommend this hotel to my friends!

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 1TravelMomGuru
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear BMW35406,

Thank you for taking time to share the details of your stay.I was disappointed to learn that your recent visit did not exceed your expectations . Our rooms do vary in size, and just as hotel rooms vary at every hotel, we have smaller rooms and large accomodations such as our 1 bedroom suites. The Shoreham is indeed an oasis in the midtown area but our tastefully appointed amenities and friendly staff are of the many of the reasons why our guests choose to stay with us. I take pride in our Front Desk team but rest assured I will speak to them regarding your observations. We’ve never had a claim on our team yelling at guests, however this will be addressed and corrected as this is truly not indicative of the service experience we pride ourselves with. To note, we do listen and we do seriously care about our guests and I am pleased my staff tried to alleviate your concerns with offer of discounts.
We want all of our guests to depart with a positive memorable experience and regret that you did not feel that, we hope you give us a chance to show you a true Shoreham experience, feel free to contact me directly ,as I would like to discuss further.

Regards,

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stay in New York often. This week Itook a room at The Shoreham which was listed as 4 star by Expedia. It was a horrible stay.
It began with the inattentive front desk that gave me keys to an occupied room when I checked in.
Next, I waited a full 40 minutes for a bucket of ice after having to remind them twice.
Doors slam at all hours. At 8:20AM the maid knocked and woke me to ask me when I wanted the room cleaned! I told her I was checking out at 11AM.
Room had no view and heat/air were a single unit controlled like a motel.
Positive was the shower. Always great hot water and great water pressure.
Overall, this is a glorified Holiday Inn and I would never stay there again.

1 Thank Steven S
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Very disappointing. Yes, the location is good, and the bed is comfy, but they are the only good things to say.
The room was tiny and badly laid out. You are virtually on the bed when opening the door. There was a tiny window, maybe a foot wide, and with a desk/dresser under it so it couldn't easily be reached to open the blind. Limited storage space, the closet fitted a winter coat and not a lot else. Tiny amount of drawer space, and bedside table on only one side of the bed. Bathroom was a good size, but again nowhere to put anything as the counter space around the sink was tiny. The bath was supposed to be whirlpool - that didn't work. There was a mirror on the inside of the closet, but no power outlet or good lighting near it, so had to use the bathroom for make up application etc, so scheduling bathroom use between us was a chore. AC was very noisy and disrupted sleep. Two rooms on the floor were being used for an event, and one night there seemed to be a party going on, which kept me awake. Advertised complimentary mineral water never materialised and there were no robes, both of which, per the website, are in all rooms.Only one water glass and one flannel for two people. TV reception very poor, with many channels unwatchable.
Lobby areas are tired, and lots of the seats are stained. Elevators were used for laundry trolleys and maintenance, and were tiny, and every day, maintenance people were on the floor, which had only 6 rooms, so to me, that wasn't a good sign. There was a doorman who generally watched people come and go, and when i had my hands full did not open the door.
i didn't care for the gym equipment. Nowhere to pt a book or ipod.

Generally not a good experience and I wouldn't recommend it.

1 Thank jillybean07
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our room was nice but small; your knees were under the bathroom sink when you sat on the toilet! Our traveling companions got a room on the other side of the hotel and said it was awful. Ours was small, but modern and clean. Also a good location.

Room Tip: ask for one of the newer rooms; we were on the right side of the building facing away from the front...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Glendaliz M, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear PJ129,
Thanks for choosing the Shoreham for your trip with your family. I’m glad you enjoyed our location, and our modern and clean accommodations.
I do hope your traveling companion was moved to a more desirable room.
Warmest wishes,
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Nice room, a little small. Very good bed and bathroom. Room was quiet and clean.

A small table could be usefull to have a take out meal when you are tired after a long walkind day around NYC

Good option in midtown NYC, specially for couples. Not for small children.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Shunets,
Thank you for your favorable comments on your recent stay. I’m glad you enjoyed our fantastic location, and our clean and quiet accommodations.
Our Shoreham is great for couples, and with our larger accommodations such as our junior and 1 bedroom suites .Equipped with separate living areas, these rooms work great for families.
Warm regards,
Allentown, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Nice clean rooms. Modern styling. Very nice showers with great water pressure and lateral jets.
Price high compared to non-New York hotels, but good value for New York.
Staff very friendly, helpful and accommodating.
Great location for our needs - just 3 blocks south of Central Park and 1/2 block from 5th Ave.
Only a block or so walk to subway station.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family