“Good location”

Ranked #248 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Greenville, North Carolina
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I recently spent 3 nights at the Royalton. The hotel is in a great midtown location (between 5th and 6th). The lobby is very dark. It takes a little time to get used to the atmosphere. My room was a decent NYC size w/ a desk, large sofa and a comfy bed. The bathroom was on the small size but with a large rainfall glass shower (no bathtub; no biggie for me). The staff was very courteous and friendly. I had previously stayed at the Sofitel across the street and if I were given a choice between the two I would choose the Sofitel (room rates being equal) because I thoroughly enjoyed their massive room service menu and food quality at the Sofitel. I was kind of disappointed that I couldn't get a bagel with lox on Sunday morning in NYC at the Royalton! I made do with a bagel with cream cheese in a container with tomato and onion on the side. I know it's a small thing but it meant something to me. Overall, I recommend this hotel, especially if you can get it at a good price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed our prime location and found our team was courteous and friendly. I apologize our room service menu does not include a bagel with lox, and I am sorry that it affected your experience so much. Thank you for your recommendation and I hope you’ll join us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Ballwin, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed at the Royalton for two nights recently. I booked through Priceline. I will say the rate was good. The lobby and bar area are very nice, very chic and the bar was crowded at night. I only had one drink at the bar, but it was very good and the bar staff were friendly. Now, the room itself...By NYC standards, the room was large, which was nice. I also had an outdoor balcony with sitting area, which was unusual in NYC and also nice. The room itself is very gray. Gray walls, gray sofa, gray carpets, gray tile floor in the bathroom. Kind of drab and dark. The rooms would benefit from a little more color, in my opinion. That all being said, the hotel was fine for a two night NYC stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RScottP2013
I am thrilled you enjoyed our lobby and bar as well as our friendly team members. Thank you for pointing out how spacious our rooms are; I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the overall décor. It sounds like you got to experience one of our rooms with a balcony, and I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope you’ll give us another try the next time you are in the city.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I originally chose this hotel for it's prime location for Midtown Manhattan and for the previous good reviews on Trip Advisor. We wanted somewhere centrally located within 10 blocks of Central Park one way and The Empire State Building the other way so it was perfect for that. I liked the dual aspect of the hotel that you could walk through the lobby or restaurant and come out on either 44th or 43rd Street. We stayed for 5 nights including New Years Eve, this was a first visit to NYC for my husband. Our room was a little disappointing as it was on 11th Floor overlooking a fire escape with no real daylight to speak of which made the room feel somehow a bit gloomy. It was also a little snug and a little over cluttered with a large desk and chair which was of no real use for our visit, however it lacked any decent storage space with very few drawer spaces and a pokey wardrobe built into an alcove of the room which you couldn't fully access the rail without taking everything out. However the furnishings were tasteful and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was well proportioned and stylish and the shower was excellent. There was no bathtub which is fine, however I did miss this as it was very cold outside and it would have been nice to get into a bath to warm up.
The only other small niggle was the charges to use Wifi in the hotel. It was $10.00 per device per day. This seems to be very expensive when you can pop down to the small café two doors down and have free wifi for as many devices as you want.
However the staff were all very pleasant and helpful at all times and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel on that basis and for it's great location.

Room Tip: From reading other reviewers it seems their rooms where spacy, ours was very snug and tucked into a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I am so pleased you choose Royalton to ring in the New Year. It sounds like you really took advantage of our great location. Please note that although there is a WiFi charge for devices being used in our guest rooms, we do offer complimentary WiFi in our lobby. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your next visit.
Beersheba, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We had spent a night at this fabulous hotel and it felt great and more !!!
The entrance is very stylish and we were helped by a very nice bellboy. Than we reached the very nice guy at the admission. We went to our room at the sixth floor and the room was awesome ! There was a great sofa one can sit on after very exhausting shopping walks nearby in the 5 th Av. Area and the Times Square ! The bathroom is great with a huge shower and great running water with very nice aroma soaps and shampoos -it was a pleasure having showers there !
There was also a window which we could open and getting the very nice cool air from outside in! The concierge was very nice and helpful and we can not thank him enough !
We hope to come again this year - it was great and we recomend this hotel to persons who admire quality !

• Stayed December 2013
Wow – thank you for such a wonderful review! It’s great to hear you felt like Royalty during your stay with us. You did such a great job capturing our hotel ambiance and décor in your review. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Piraeus, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at Royalton during Christmas and New Year's Day.. The superior room was extremely spacious and offered us whatever we needed (we never used the mini bar or other facilities, as we were most of day-time out of the room) ... The bathroom was an experience .. large, comfortable, modern.... All over the room was full of cleanliness and comfort, just like home... The hole staff was always there for you.. As far as the location??? We were in walking distance from all of the major sights, 2 blocks from Times Square or Rockefeller... I will definitely stay there again!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted your stay at Royalton was so memorable and that you found our superior room spacious and the bathroom comfortable. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and I look forward to your next stay with us.
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I loved my stay at this hotel. Great cosy and romantic ambiance in the lobby, amazing whiskey's and drinks at the bar, great food at Forty Four, especially the traditional breakfast! (try their fantastic homemade brown bread). I love the decor of the hotel, it feels like you are on an old luxury ship. Finally, we loved our room, mostly because of the DREAM BATHTUB.
Only a few missteps and it would have been perfect:
1) the ventilation (heat/AC) in the bedroom is noisy and dirty. It's time for a change.
2) the quality of the service provided by the staff needs to be more constant. For example, when we checked-in, the lady told us we could call reception directly if we needed to make a reservation at a restaurant, free of charge. When we did call, we were told we could do it ourselves. Also, one morning I ordered the continental breakfast, and the waiter noticed that I had not eaten the muffin. He asked me if everything was alright, and I said I didn't like the taste. He left without offering me to replace it by something else.
Besides these two points, everything was perfect. I would definitely recommend the Royalton in NYC

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad you enjoyed our lobby and bar, Forty Four, and loved the overall décor and ambiance of the hotel. I apologize for the few mishaps you experienced during your stay. We strive to continually provide exceptional guest service and it sounds as though we just missed the mark during your stay. I hope you’ll join us again soon so we can provide you with a true Royalton experience.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have recently returned from a holiday to New York with my Boyfriend and we was very happy with our stay at the Royalton.
The location is absolutly perfect if you want to be central, located on a quiet road however 2 blocks from Time Square. Also near the hotel was Bryant Park, and there was a lovely little market and Ice Rink there, a lot less busy than the Ice Rink at the Rockerfella.
We stayed in an Alcove Suite which was very large, with a massive round bathtub/shower and a fireplace, however we didn't use the fireplace as we as out most evening enjoying New York, but the bath tub was lovely so make sure you get a room with one!
We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights, of which we had breakfast at the restaurant twice which was amazing, the eggs benedict is the best we've both ever had ! The restaurant and minibar etc are expensive but we expected it to be. Other mornings we had breakfast at the diner opposite or whereever our day started...
If you are going to New York and are looking for good rooftop bars with a bit of style head to the Standard Hotel or the Gansevoort hotel, both in the meatpacking district with lovely rooftp bars with lovely views accross New York.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Royalton, the staff was very friendly and rooms clean and fine.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a bathtub and try the eggs benedict !!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rosie A
Thank you for such a detailed review of your stay. It sounds like you really took advantage of our prime location and enjoyed your Alcove suite. To hear that our eggs benedict is the best you’ve ever had is a great compliment – thank you! I hope you and your boyfriend will join us again soon for another great stay.