“OH WOW WEE!”

Ranked #251 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Ashleworth, United Kingdom
“OH WOW WEE!”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is the nicest hotel i have EVER stayed in.......very sumptuous, loved every part of it. Especially loved my mirror walled bathroom with and amazing circular bath, and also the amount of the most luxurious pillows ever ....... i need a hotel just like this back in England!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Wow - thank you for your review, we love your enthusiasm! I am thrilled you had the chance to enjoy one of our five foot round soaking tubs and comfortable beds. Please feel free to check out Saint Martins Lane and Sanderson in London which are also part of Morgans Hotel Group. We look forward to welcoming you back to Royalton the next time you are in New York.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Excellent service and attended to all my needs in a courteous and prompt way. Great location and very quiet. Relaxed and ambient lounge atmosphere much appreciated. Maps, directions, cabs scheduled for me in advance made my stay in the NY enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MP_Ottawa2013
I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Royalton. It sounds like our central location, welcoming lobby, and helpful team members really made your stay. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another great weekend!
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was my first time visiting Manhattan and I was fortunate to find this place. It is close to pretty much everything a tourist would want to see in Midtown, plus it is an easy walk to the subway for those places a bit further away. It isn't right in Times Square so it isn't as noisy, either.

The lobby seems to be a happening spot every night. It is comfortable and inviting, although a bit dark. The staff were friendly and always quite helpful.

It is an older building with small rooms, but I wasn't in NYC to hang out in my room. The room was simple, but modern, with a comfortable bed and a roomy bathroom. And everything was clean and in very good condition.

Make sure you take a cell phone because the phone rates are extremely expensive. And the mini bar prices are pretty steep. It is MUCH cheaper to go to the store around the corner. Would be nice to have wifi included in the room price, or at least allow for more than one device per wifi charge.

I was told by friends that the price I paid was a good one for Midtown. We stayed for 4 nights and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am thrilled to hear Royalton was your choice hotel for your first trip to New York City. I am glad our prime location, welcoming lobby, and friendly team made your stay memorable. Please know that we do offer complimentary WiFi for our guests in the lobby. I hope you’ll join us again soon for a second trip to the big apple!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was a guest at a wedding in one of the penthouse's here, and it was a truly amazing venue. I was incredibly envious of the bride and groom's facilities for the night, with the bedroom suite and en suite looking very luxurious. The best par was, of course, the view from the balcony. You can peer down the street for a stunning view of the Chrysler building. We had a 3 course dinner as part of the reception and we were very impressed by the meals. Sometimes it's hit or miss with hotel food but the Royalton hit the mark. Pre - reception cocktails in the den-like bar downstairs were also a hit, the place was very busy for a Thursday evening and had a really good feel to it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for beautifully describing our Penthouse. It sounds like the Bride & Groom threw an amazing celebration, and I am thrilled Royalton was a part of it all. We appreciate you taking the time to write a great review of our event spaces and hope you’ll join us soon for a night in New York City.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The location for this hotel is perfect. Close to the time square, fith avenue, and all the fun places in Midtown Manhattan. I like hotels with character and style and this one definitely has it. Th elobby is cool with a very happening bar every night. staff was nice and helpful. However for the price that I paid, and it was a very hight price I got a tiny room witha window facing a wall, which was quite depressing. I had no natural light so I never knew what time it was and what was the weather outside. I understand that some rooms are simply like that due to the construction of the building but I have upgraded my room to get something decent and that wasn't it. Also the breakfast was insanly expensive. I recommend eating outside.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Pysiu
I am glad to hear you enjoyed our central Midtown location and appreciated our unique design. It sounds like our location, ambiance and team members really made your stay. I do hope you’ll give us another chance so that we may wow you with our exceptional service and place you in a higher room that receives more natural light.
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a shopping trip to New York, fab location and as soon as we walked through the door we loved it! cosy, welcoming lobby and bar area! the fire in the freezing New York weather was a godsend! I know a few people have commented how it's too dark and unwelcoming etc but we loved this cool, relaxing and friendly feel that it offered us! the staff were very welcoming, our room was only basic not a bath tub room just a shower but it offered us everything we needed, had a boutique trendy feel to it! the toiletries are a nice touch and candles too and we can truly say you should really enjoy your stay here! we did! thank you royalton for making our stay so comfortable! oh and we enjoyed the delicious cocktails!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a fabulous review! I am thrilled to hear how much you loved Royalton’s ambiance and that our lobby fireplace was great during a cold day in the city. It sounds like you really had the chance to enjoy all Royalton has to offer. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another wonderful stay.
London, England
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I will start this review by saying one thing - approach this hotel with an open mind. It's not your usual hotel - when you walk in with all your luggage late at night you think you've walked into the wrong place. There's nothing about it that screams 'HOTEL' and obviously this can sometimes be a good thing. On this occasion, the crowded bar area, the ridiculously dark floor space and the loud music made it very difficult to find where to check in.

I was initially given a fourth floor which absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke. After telephoning down, someone from room service was sent to 'deal with me' (or so it felt) as they came up with a large can of room spray. Hardly suitable - she then sent someone else up equally couldn't help.

I was then given another room higher up but again it was of a similar TINY size, facing extractor fans out the back, and it was dark and dingy. I ended up going back down to front desk, where someone on reception offered to show me 2 or 3 other rooms to determine if any were more suitable.

I finally accepted a very large standard overlooking the street, which was far more suitable. I'd totally recommend making sure you're happy with your room! I spent almost a week here and couldn't imagine having to stay in one of the smaller, darker rooms.

The bathroom was incredible, giant whirlpool bath with what I can only describe as a 'disco ball' style mirror behind it.

The rooms are incredibly stylish if not a little drab with the grey wall paint, but I can imagine it's not to everyone's taste.

What surprised me the most was the 'goody-box' beside the mini bar. Full of all sorts of 'toys' - clearly not what i'd come here to do, but can imagine it must be fun for those who are looking for a fun 'date night' hotel, or uh, similar ;)

On a few occasions I frequented the bar, I had a nice time. Drinks are hideously overpriced but then it's that sort of place. Have to admit although there are signs up everywhere saying it's a no smoking hotel I could regularly smell smoke in the corridors, so I guess people were ignoring the rules.

The rooms are also very clean and tidy, designed well and use the space properly. Location-wise if you want to be central NY then this is the place for you! Right by Times Square and Fifth Ave, which is probably why it commands the $$$.

While i'd probably recommend this hotel to some friends who are looking for a 'romantic break' I don't think i'll be coming back. But it's given me some great memories and if you're looking for somewhere FUN to stay away from the drab and boring big named super-hotels then this might well be up your street.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to have a room overlooking the street - it's not as noisy as you think! And...