“Excellent Stay in NYC”

Ranked #254 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Birmingham, Alabama
“Excellent Stay in NYC”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at the Royalton. We stayed there on the advice of friends. The room was nice and clean, remarkably large for a NYC hotel and the price. (Room 1202 looks just like the one in the photo.) On arrival, we were greeted by Neal who was the most welcoming, pleasant and funny bellman ever. Then Halley checked us in at the desk - she, too was exceptionally welcoming. At every turn, the employees were pleasant and really went out of their way to help, including Clay, the concierge. Jon, the rooms manager also welcomed us and checked to make sure that our stay was nice.
The hotel was an easy walk to three shows and to shopping, but without the hassle and noise of being right at Times Square.
We have been looking for a "regular place" to stay on our trips to NYC, and we've found it! We can't imagine staying anywhere else!
Kudos to all for making it a great stay.

Room Tip: 1202 was large and quiet. There wasn't really a view but we weren't looking for that.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GRJones3
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for such an amazing review. I am thrilled to hear you had such a great stay at Royalton. It is always wonderful to know that our friendly team members made someone’s stay unforgettable. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel to a warm welcome from the receptionist. Pleasantly surprised by the room, was a great size, even though we had paid extra for a deluxe room it still surpassed my expectations.

The hotel is in a great location about 5 min walk from Time square.

The food in the hotel is very expensive, it was nice but not worth the $45 we spent on lunch, this was 1 course and 1 drink each.

The hotel bar is a nice place to relax but again, drinks are quite expensive.

iPads in room is a nice touch.

Overall really pleased with our stay and would go back.

• Stayed March 2013
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I am so pleased you enjoyed our spacious guest rooms and central location. It sounds like our location was perfect for trip. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another wonderful time!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed for the first time in Royalton. Hotel lives up to high ratings on Trip Advisor and other sites, it's conveniently located, on a relatively quiet 44th street betwwen 5th and 6th avenue, few minutes away from Time Square. Although not too big room is very functional, with the nice bathroom and the modern furniture. Room and hotel are very clean and […] well kept.. We stayed on 6th floor, during 4 day stay never had to wait for elevator more than a minute. Check in and service in hotel is exceptional, bar area is very busy and something was always happening. The only problem we had with this hotel is lack of the light in the lobby area as well in the room so for the same rate we would still prefer Sofitel, just across the street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am happy to hear you had such an excellent stay with us here at Royalton. It sounds like our location was perfect for your visit to New York and I am glad our service was exceptional. I am sorry you felt our overall design was lacking light. I hope you’ll join us again over the winter months so you can experience our welcoming lobby fireplace.
toronto
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this beautiful boutique hotel near Time Square at the end of July this year. Our mission when in NYC is to see as much theatre as possible and anything else is a bonus. As a result the location of this hidden gem was perfect. We were met by Xander at the front desk who was so personable and helpful we felt like royalty. Everyone, from there on in, was also extremely helpful, courteous and just lovely. Xander made sure we were taken care of well during our 3 night stay and took time, though extremely busy, to make sure we were having a wonderful time and assist us in any way.
Our rooms were stellar. Beautifully appointed, cute cubbies and plenty of closet space with modern bathroom and lovely toiletries.
I cannot suggest a better place to stay. It was truly a treat. At one point our air conditioning didn't seem to be working and with in half an hour a team was in out room and REPLACED the entire unit immediately and apologized profusely for the inconvenience... truly remarkable...
For a day and age where customer service is often lacking, especially with younger staff, this place's business model must focus on the guest experience as I have never felt so important in such a big city. Stay here. You will not regret it!

Room Tip: All rooms seem wonderful. We had an adjoining suite on the 16th floor and loved it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such an amazing review. I am thrilled to hear Xander made your stay extra special, and that you were not inconvenienced by the air conditioner. We hope you’ll visit NYC again soon for another great visit to the theater district.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very nice staff and well-designed, comfortable, clean -- though very small -- room. The bathtub was fabulous. But -- and this is a big but -- the room I was in had essentially no natural light. The window faced an air shaft that let in so little light that I couldn't tell if it was day or night. Other than this the hotel was great, but I would never stay here again unless I was sure I didn't have this room. It was room 519. I don't think this should be allowed for a hotel room. My room was like a large, well furnished closet. And it is not cheap!!

Room Tip: Avoid 519 and ask to make sure you don't have a room facing an air shaft. I can't stress en...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed our décor, large soaking tubs, and friendly team members. I apologize that you did not have any natural light in your room. We are happy to have such a convenient Midtown location, but that does mean we are surrounded by tall buildings. I do hope you’ll join us for another great stay where we can place you in one of our street facing rooms.
Chelsea, New York, United States
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Regular rooms are great, suites are excellent , and penthouse suite is over the top. Thats not what seperates the Royalton from the other hotels. Its the staff at this hotel that makes this my one of my top picks of NYC and embodies the true essense of guest service and hospitality. Adrien the front desk manager is truley one of the best hotel personel Ive ever ran into in a hotel.. Very unexpected for NYC and is an asset to their team.... The only reason I gave them a 4 star because my holindaise sauce was a little too salty for my taste. Hotel is clean and smells like gardienias..... Good job Royalton Staff

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such a wonderful review! The best compliment we can receive is that our team made your stay. I am delighted to share your review with everyone here at Royalton and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for another great stay!
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We just stayed at the Royalton Hotel in New York for our 35th wedding anniversary. We live in New York and I work in Manhattan, so this was a 3-day mid-week "stay-cation". Having worked in Manhattan for about 35 years--and my office is really 2 blocks away--I was shocked and amazed that I had never heard of the Royalton Hotel. I travel a lot, so I have been in most of the hotel chains and boutique hotel groups. Still, finding a new hotel that I really like is a true joy for me.

First, what I liked as we pulled up to the hotel is that you do not even know that it is there. It is like, if you do not know about it, you would pass it by. Just the way I like it--no big, gaudy awning, just a small tasteful flag and a dark door--and a greeter and a member of the valet staff. They were quick to greet and quick to help.

When you open the door you go from a drab 44th street into a large open space that is the "lobby"--but really it is mostly a well-designed collection of seating areas for relaxing or enjoying the bar offerings. Dark and cool. Sometimes it is quiet, sometimes it is very active--in any event, very enjoyable. I now have another great place to take clients!

The check-in process was quick and easy, we were greeted by name by everyone. They even pronounced our last name correctly! The staff was very helpful and friendly.

The elevators are smallish, but nice; the halls on our floor were twisty-turny--it sort of added to the charm of a hotel in an old building. Sort of like an adventure...Now...the room...

The room was at the end of the hall...the access key is a touch card--no swiping...so no getting it wrong!

Open the door and Wow! A large, well-designed living space, with: a large desk and ergo chair, an iPad for surfing/ordering, large flat-screen TV, wall-to-wall couch, large mirrored bathroom with a huge circular tub, a GREAT bed, lots of pillows and more. The bed is partially in a recess nook, so there are built-in shelving/night tables containing the alarm (w/iphone dock), telephone and lighting controls. There is a fireplace (probably non-working, I didn't check) with an interesting mantelpiece. They use interesting art postcards as accents in a few places in the room--and to my surprise, they change them daily! Sometimes it is the little things that you really appreciate. I tend to notice the details.

The hotel's location is great--between Fifth Avenue and Avenue of the Americas. A short walk to Times Square. We saw 2 plays, so walking to the theater and back was a joy--no driving, no taxis. No matter when we returned at night, there was someone to greet us.

If you like boutique hotels, this is a great place to stay or visit. If you have only stayed in the large hotel chains, you might like to try this as an alternative experiment. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow – thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write about your “stay-cation.” I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our stylish guest rooms and discovered a new hidden gem in midtown. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another great stay.