“Not a 5 * hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #213 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Not a 5 * hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I booked a superior room, when I arrived I had high expectations and judging by the pictures they had for this type of room it looked good, to my surprise my view for a week was going to be a brick wall, which it was never going to happen, felt claustrophobic. I went to the front desk and I paid to be up graded the following morning, then I have to say that the tiles in the bathrooms are starting to catch mildew, and they are not fancy at all, don't let comments mislead you, they have normal bathrooms just a big round bathtub. Also the windows inside and out were dirty, I do not think they have cleaned the dust there since the hotel was open, it was disgusting. It is also very dark everywhere, if people call that trendy, well it is very trendy. It is modern and the walls are all black it was very dark and depressing for my taste, I just couldn't wait to leave in the morning and arrive as tired and late as possible. Althought I notice that the bar is very popular with younger people.
The hotel didn't have any personality for my taste. I am use to more comfortable, traditional or even a bit more modern places, this one just crosses the line for me. The service was normal, nothing out of the ordinary, and you know how it works in the US, as long as you give them a good tip they will run for you,that is what I did from day one so it was expected good service but again nothing out of the ordinary. Definitely NOT a 5 stars hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. We realize that our décor and ambiance is not for everyone and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I welcome you to look at our sister property, Morgans, on Madison Ave which has a lighter décor which may better suit your travel needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel many times as my NY office is just around the corner. I've also stayed in alot of the hotels in the area and ended up picking this one over the others. It's got a boutique feel while being big enough to book easily (so much better that the faceless hilton, marriott, millenium, etc). It's not that expensive relative to other similar hotels.

The rooms are very cool and have wonderful wonderful beds. The bathrooms are amazing and have great Malin + Goetz products.

Room Tip: I always get a room with the 5' roman tubs because I love baths. If you love baths too, you rea...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
I am thrilled to hear Royalton is your hotel of choice in New York City. It sounds like our location is perfect for you and I am glad you enjoy our comfortable guest beds and wonderful Malin + Goetz bathroom amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay.
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Location is fantastic close to times square, Really nice Boutique Hotels. Small rooms but what do you expect from a hotel in nyc. But very large Fancy Bathroom!!My wife loved the bathroom.... Very Trendy Lounge bar its filled after 6pm where people come to just chill over a drink specially Thursday nights!!! If you like boutique this is it!! No good city views...No doorman for some reason!!!

Room Tip: Go one above the standard!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mekaal G
I am delighted to hear you and your wife had such a great stay at Royalton. It sounds like you really took advantage of our prime location and really enjoyed the boutique hotel experience. We hope to see you again soon!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is the perfect hotel if you are coming on business. This is not a chain hotel with light colors. This is a boutique trendy hotel. The bar at the reception makes this for me one the best things about this hotel. The drinks are to die for, beautiful crowd and great pub music. This is not your standard chain hotel, so don't expect beige palette of colors. The rooms are dark, but spacious enough for New York, well equipped (each room has an ipad) and tastefully decorated. The bathroom is great and the shower an amazing experience! Linens are clean and so is the bathroom. I have stayed in here at least 5 times and love it every time. Location is great, 44th/6th is my favorite place to stay in midtown. Not very far from Times Square, but far enough to be away from the noise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Beachmom0001
Thank you for such a wonderful review. We are so happy you choose to stay with us for your business trips in New York. I am thrilled you enjoyed some of our delicious cocktails at our bar and restaurant, Forty Four and that our prime location works well for your trips. We look forward to your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

V chic hotel, bustling bar in the lobby where locals and guests imbibe cocktails. Rooms v nice, as we're staff.
Did not like that wifi was not included - I mean come on, this is NYC!
Also, no leisure facilities is a downer
Bath was great. Lovely toiletries and towels
Recommend spending time in the room to get the value!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay at Royalton. It sounds like you had the chance to experience our restaurant and bar, Forty Four, and enjoy our wonderful guest rooms. We do offer complimentary wifi in our lobby for the convenience of our guests.
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I could not have been more pleased by my wife and my stay at the Royalton last week. The location on 44th St. was ideal for walking both up- and downtown, the staff were impeccably professional and helpful, and the room was both hip and romantic. We absolutely _loved_ it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmstevens309
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear we exceeded your high expectations and that you had such a great stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and each come with an iPad you can use during your stay. The mini bar has a good selection of items and there are lots of places nearby to get snacks and coffee. The lobby bar is a great place to relax with friends and the staff are very attentive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends