“Trendy and well located” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton New York Hotel

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #206 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Tampa, Florida
“Trendy and well located”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is the perfect hotel if you are coming on business. This is not a chain hotel with light colors. This is a boutique trendy hotel. The bar at the reception makes this for me one the best things about this hotel. The drinks are to die for, beautiful crowd and great pub music. This is not your standard chain hotel, so don't expect beige palette of colors. The rooms are dark, but spacious enough for New York, well equipped (each room has an ipad) and tastefully decorated. The bathroom is great and the shower an amazing experience! Linens are clean and so is the bathroom. I have stayed in here at least 5 times and love it every time. Location is great, 44th/6th is my favorite place to stay in midtown. Not very far from Times Square, but far enough to be away from the noise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Beachmom0001
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review. We are so happy you choose to stay with us for your business trips in New York. I am thrilled you enjoyed some of our delicious cocktails at our bar and restaurant, Forty Four and that our prime location works well for your trips. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

V chic hotel, bustling bar in the lobby where locals and guests imbibe cocktails. Rooms v nice, as we're staff.
Did not like that wifi was not included - I mean come on, this is NYC!
Also, no leisure facilities is a downer
Bath was great. Lovely toiletries and towels
Recommend spending time in the room to get the value!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay at Royalton. It sounds like you had the chance to experience our restaurant and bar, Forty Four, and enjoy our wonderful guest rooms. We do offer complimentary wifi in our lobby for the convenience of our guests.
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I could not have been more pleased by my wife and my stay at the Royalton last week. The location on 44th St. was ideal for walking both up- and downtown, the staff were impeccably professional and helpful, and the room was both hip and romantic. We absolutely _loved_ it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmstevens309
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear we exceeded your high expectations and that you had such a great stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and each come with an iPad you can use during your stay. The mini bar has a good selection of items and there are lots of places nearby to get snacks and coffee. The lobby bar is a great place to relax with friends and the staff are very attentive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Location is good (there is also an establishment of Daniel Boulud across the street if you fancy french food), entrance is the best part of the hotel with good music, cool decor and nice people. Staff at the entrance door very erratic (sometimes they help you, sometimes - most of the time - not), room quite nice as well as the bathroom. All in all not bad, but I guess that "not bad" it is not enough for an hotel who wants to play in the top league

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank loveforperfection
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt our hotel was “just ok.” It sounds like you enjoyed our central location and comfortable guest rooms, but that our service missed the mark. I hope you’ll give us another chance to wow you and provide you with the exceptional service we know we can provide.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed at the Royalton for three nights from the 8th to the 11th of August 2013. Leading up to the stay we received great customer service from the concierge via email. I had received a free upgrade which we used to book a room with two double beds as there were three of us staying in one room. We asked for a quiet room on a high floor as we are all light sleepers, and we were given a room on the 15th floor.
What we liked:
The beds were very comfortable. The shower pressure was perfect and the shower head was nice and big. The shower/bath products were lovely, my hair has never felt so nice. The room itself was very quiet, we could not hear anyone in the hall outside and there was very minimal noise from the street (not common for NY). The bathroom was also very quiet, we never woke each other up showering etc. The decor, we love the combination of heritage staples with contemporary artistic things. The fact that there is a gym and a business center, we used both. They were both small but fully functional. The location, we love midtown, it was a bit closer to Times Square than we usually stay, but we did not have a problem with traffic over-flow etc. We love the proximity to our favourite shops, restaurants, central park, museums, etc.
What we did not like:
The lack of customer service when we were actually staying at the hotel: I think the concierge might sit at the desk in front of the check-in counter, but I could not say for sure, they were rarely there and did not provide any services for us, although we asked people at the check-in counter for directions/suggestions for a few things, one of which was about getting a cab to the airport at the end of our stay, to which they responded that we should exit out the back of the hotel instead of the front because there would be a lot of cabs out back. There were no cabs and there was no one to hail one for us. We had to cart our luggage over to 5th avenue and hail our own. Honestly, this is a bit of a deal breaker for me, I have stayed in many hotels all over the world at varying price points, super expensive and super affordable, and at the Royalton I should not haves had to hail my own cab. When we stay at the Warwick we never hail our own cab, day or night. There was also never any help opening doors for us upon our return from the hotel during the day and night. We always had to open the door for ourselves no matter how many bags we had etc. Once there was actually a hotel employee at the front door, and they opened the door for us but there was some kind of a ramp blocking the stairs, we had to pick our way down the stairs on our own with no help from the employee, they could have easily pushed the ramp to one side for us, but chose to watch us silently as we stumbled down on our own on either side.
The air conditioner was very very loud. You had to basically shout over the noise when it was running.
The lack of cleanliness of the hotel room: The carpet needs to be either steam cleaned or replaced, our instinct was to wear shoes in the hotel room, that’s how dirty the carpet was. The grout in the bathroom was literally black with mold. The grout on the floor in the bathroom was also very damaged, especially near the sink; I should have taken pictures to illustrate.
The check-out experience. Our bill arrived in our room with the wrong price listed. I called down to the front desk to sort it out prior to check out because I was tight on time, I was told not to worry it would be quickly resolved when we left the hotel at noon, no need to worry about doing it over the phone. This was not the case, we spent twenty minutes at the front desk sorting out the issue, I was told I had to produce the emails between myself and the concierge which confirmed the price (even though I had confirmed the price and our room selection and dates with the concierge multiple times before our arrival). Honestly, what is the point in confirming everything prior to arrival if there isn’t going to be any continuity of service?
Basically the decor and price were that of a boutique hotel but the cleanliness and customer service did not add-up. It was worth a try for sure, and I would highly recommend it for dinner or drinks, but stick to the lobby, that’s by far the best part of the hotel. This stay was a trial run for us, we love hotels such as the Warwick but wanted to try something new in midtown. I really do not think we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor if you prefer quiet Air conditioner is loud
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank stephds
I am so sorry to hear you did not love your stay at Royalton. It sounds like you truly enjoyed our comfortable guest rooms, overall atmosphere and central location, but that our service missed the mark. We appreciate you filling out our guest service survey as well as Trip Advisor and I know that our Rooms Manager has been in contact with you directly with regard to your stay.
Melville, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Last weekend my husband and I stayed at the Royalton in Times Square. It was exactly how trip advisor described it. It was a small boutique like hotel and very dark when you entered. Upon check in they upgraded our room to an alcove suite. The suite was very nice, large enough for New York standards. I couldn't wait to use the beautiful round bathtub which could fit 3 people but I took a bath by myself. I would have loved it, if it had jets but it was nice enough. I look forward to staying the Royalton again. By the way their coffee is excellent!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I am so pleased to hear you and your husband had such a great stay with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed our guest suites with our relaxing five foot round soaking tubs. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another great stay and cup of coffee.