“Lovely!”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #270 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I admit a few years ago I was a boutique hotel brat especially for weekend visits to NYC so I am a fan of the Morgans Hotel Group. After years of excessive business related traveling, my love of hotels dwindled. So my bf and I booked this hotel via the Priceline Hotels Pro iphone app. We got a great deal and upon arrival we were upgraded. With the Priceline reservation I assumed we should have gotten a standard but found ourselves upgraded to Superior Queen room which has a seating/living room section. In addition, it also has a cute vanity area before you enter the bathroom. The room was comfortable and lovely for our three night stay. We wanted to say longer (a transition before we set up the apartment) but sadly, it was time for the All Star Game and we couldn't. But the front desk staff was great in that they said if we could extend our deal they would ensure we kept the same room.

Plus: John who is the doorman, bellhop all rolled into one. He saw us getting out of the cab with our three very heavy bags and helped us with them up the stairs. (Yes, there are hotels that still ignore you when they see you with luggage trying to get up stairs). I usually take the bags up on my own but I let John take care of it. When he came to drop it off, he walked through the room and turned on the lights, handed us the remote to the TV and gave us a little tour of the hotel room. Not sure if that's a must, but it's the first time that's been done for me regardless of what hotel I have stayed at (yes, even some 4 star, 5 diamond hotels). He proved to be just as helpful for the next day. My BF and I wanted to tip him more when we checked out but of course he was not working those next few nights.

Overall, this hotel as lovely and comfortable. No issues at all. We stayed on the 15th floor right in front of the elevators and never thought the noise was too much. Shower was great. Rain shower with a sleek looking hand held shower. View I didn't care about at all. Yes the elevators are tiny but it's obviously a renovated old old building and that is to be expected. If you've seen a European elevator, then no expectations. It fit me and three huge suitcases so I had no issues. The staff overall was great. The in room Ipad didn't work but cell phone service wasn't an issue so I did not care too much. I would definitely stay again!

I do wish they had more plugs near the bed. They have great lighting in the bed alcove but plugs would have been great! Didn't try the restaurant or any other services though.

Location: midtown. Great for tourist or people that want to be around that area. Subway at Grand central is easy to get to.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed our spacious rooms, central location, and friendly team members! I’m sorry to hear your trip was so short, I hope you’ll join us again soon for a longer stay.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in a standard room with a queen. Very comfortable room which was bigger than normal NYC rooms and everything (except the view) was terrific. We thought the bathroom was excellent...large (in essence 2 rooms) and the shower was terrific with lots of room and an overhead "rainmaster" head. Great shampoos/soaps/conditioners as well. Room was modern décor and only small concern was the banquette seating on one wall...not terribly comfortable. Lobby/lounge is very dark but that just adds to the allure of the place.

Location is 2 blocks from Times Square so it was easy to drop in before going back out to the theatre or whatever. Also very close to 5th avenue and a diner across the street served excellent breakfasts at reasonable prices.

I would recommend the Royalton highly and would certainly return next time in NY.

1  Thank JCGToronto_Ontario
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review. I am happy you enjoyed our large guest rooms, relaxing showers, and great in room amenities. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hotel staff was friendly always smiling and eager to help. Arrived early and they had a room ready for us. Lobby was dim but they had a crowd for Friday evening. Located in a great location just a few blocks from everything. The room was just perfect. Very clean. Beds were comfortable. Room was large for a New York Hotel. One of the best places to stay in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

I am thrilled to hear you had such a great stay at Royalton. It sounds like our team really made the difference in your stay, and that our location was perfect for your trip. I hope you’ll join us again soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nites over the weekend for my grandson's birhday present. Other than the hotel dim lighting in the lobby and the room we all had a great time. Hotel location was perfect with a great deli a few doors up the street for a great breakfast with fast friendly service. Other than the elevator issue one day where only the service elevator worked we truly enjoyed our stay. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my clients as I am a corporate travel agent. Kudo's

Rose from MA

Room Tip: stayed at backside overlooking courtyard room was very quite
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I hope your grandson enjoyed celebrating his birthday with us! We are so pleased you enjoyed our prime location and we hope to welcome you and your clients back soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The rooms in this hotel are what really stand out (the lobby is pretty decent, too). Dimmers everywhere, giant-sized round tubs in the bathroom, and comfortable beds (love how they are tucked into the wall) really help make the hotel memorable. The one downside is that you can easily hear through the walls (paper-thin). We could hear several people walking up and down the hallway talking (sounded like guests and hotel staff). It's not in my favorite neighborhood in New York, but really accessible to everything (Broadway, hotel conference centers, museums, etc.) if you don't want to be in the thick of Times Square. Just remember to check your bill at the end of your stay — my husband and I have stayed at lots of Morgans hotels and they always end up charging us extra either for something we didn't purchase from the minibar or getting the room rate incorrect. It's a real hassle getting on the phone to deal with it after a trip, yet we can't help but love their hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley G

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our guest rooms and the overall ambiance of the hotel. I apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay, and should you need to review your bill please to not hesitate to contact the front office. I hope to invite you back for another great stay soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights with my daughter. On first impression as we arrived it looked great with a very dark looking lobby like a nightclub.
We had paid for a deluxe bigger room but when they told us that it had one queen size bed and not two they changed us to a much smaller room without offering anything as comp. Needless to say we found the room small and depressing . We had no contact with staff so cant say much about service, even upon checking out they just said its ok and never even got us an account as it was prepaid.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cleoSydney_aus

I am sorry to hear your expectations were not met. We strive to provide exceptional service, and it seems as though we missed the mark on your stay. Our deluxe category rooms and superior double double rooms are advertised as the same rate, and that is why you did not see a reduction on your rate as you changed rooms. I do hope you’ll give us another chance as you did enjoy our overall ambiance and décor.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The best thing about the hotel is the central location.

Our room was moderate in size, but very functional. There was separate closet for clothes and suitcases. The bed was one of the best bed we have slept in. The bathroom was large and beautiful. We had asked for a quiet room and got one facing the back yard. The view was not beautiful but we appreciated the silence.

However, the price was very high. That made us expect a little luxory, but there was none. This is the first five- star hotel we have been to, that didn't offer bath ropes. One day the used shampoo a and conditioner were not replaced.

As we had made the booking in the hotel's own internet site, we were entiled to free wifi. However, we were given a wifi passcode with fee. I had to check myself the reservation and go back to reception to get passcode for free wifi.

The staff tried to be friendly, but concentrated on telling their own first names when you asked something.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 33tu

I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our central location, well appointed guest rooms, and comfortable beds. I apologize that you did not feel we provide a luxury experience and exceptional guest service – that is obviously not the impression we hope to make. Please give us a second chance to wow you and join us again soon.