WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #229 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Sligo, Ireland
“wonderful experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We're just home from visiting this hotel for the second time and absolutely loved it again!
We first visited this hotel in May 2010 on our first trip to New York and found the location of the hotel absolutely wonderful, its right in the heart of everything and provides the most perfect location for exploring everything that Manhattan has to offer.
Both times we stayed we got a room with a huge round bath tub and the most powerful rain shower. The rooms are small, which you come to expect from New York but the beds are large with huge pillows and are so incredible comfortable. I loved the little touches like the Ipad with wifi in the room to use during your stay,the iPhone docking system, the large TV and I thought it was nice that they leave a European adaptor in the room for your use (especially as we had forgotten one! ).
I would say the mood lighting in the hotel (which is quite dark) takes a little getting used to but really when visiting New York I think most visitors are like us and are too busy exploring the city to spend much time in the hotel!
I feel I should mention the staff are really friendly and helpful and we will definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a round tub!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nicola c
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
I am so pleased to hear you had such a wonderful stay. It sounds like you really enjoyed our central location, relaxing bathrooms, and convenient minibar items. We always love welcoming our guests back and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed 2 nights. Our room was quiet - no noise from guests in other rooms although the hotel was full. The staff was nice and helpful. The concierge gave us directions to a nearby restaurant we were interested in. When we checked out in the morning we still had some sightseeing to do and they told us they could keep our bags in a locked area (no charge). This was nice to not have to haul the bags around all day before our evening flight. Really a nice place, safe, quiet and clean. The decor was like a contemporary cruise ship and was relaxing. It was more spacious than I expected! Convenient to Times Square and subway stations.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor which is actually the lowest floor with guest rooms. The HVAC unit (I thin...
1 Thank Monica W
I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Royalton. It sounds like our team really made your stay special and that you had the chance to take advantage of our great location. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked this hotel for a short honeymoon break to New York - The hotel, room and location were all excellent, as was the atmosphere in the lobby/bar. The staff we also super and the champagne and chocolates in the room were a nice touch. You will not find a better location/hotel for a short city break to New York.

Room Tip: We chose a loft room with a city view - the room was spacious and the was bathroom lovely but unfort...
1 Thank Richard D
Thank you for such a great review. We are thrilled to have been a part of your Honeymoon and are so happy to hear you enjoyed our prime location and welcoming lobby. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My boyfriend booked this hotel for a weekend getaway for my birthday. He did a great job! The hotel is less than 2 blocks away from times square, a short walk to Central Park and about 20 blocks (a short cab ride) from the Empire State Building. The hotel is very modern, with sleek design. It is dark in the lobby but it adds to the ambiance of the bar feel at night. We had a basic room which was not huge but big enough for the two of us for two nights. I found enough space to put my things away and the closet was surprisingly large. I found the bed very comfortable and there was also a small couch in the room. Having the iPad with free internet access was great to look up destinations or restaurants. Everything was very clean and the staff was excellent, all very nice and accommodating. Our room was diagonally across from the elevators but we didn't notice any excessive noise during any time of the day or night we were in the hotel. We had a drink at the bar one night which was good, if a little pricey. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant. My only suggestion would be to self park at the lot next door, not use the valet, as it saves a lot of money. There is a garage on the right immediately before the hotel. We didn't see that until after we valeted our car but probably would have paid half of what we did.

1 Thank sox33
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We are thrilled to be a part of your birthday celebration. It sounds like you really took advantage of our prime location and enjoyed our welcoming lobby bar. We hope you’ll join us again soon!
jarvischas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed five nights at Royalton, this is our second stay albeit separated by a few years – so expected the décor to be tired and tatty. Very pleasantly surprised that both the staff and the hotel was still living up to the high standards we remembered. We had a Loft room, which was both spacy and airy, if budgets stretched it is worth going for. Just one small minor whinge, when we checked into the room – their was no hot water, after a quick chat with room service a friendly maintenance man arrived who turned on the hot water valve, problem resolved and able to have that revitalising soak in the huge round tub.

2 Thank jarvischas
We are so happy to welcome you back for a second time. I am delighted to hear we lived up to your expectations and that you enjoyed one of our loft suites. We look forward to your third visit with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at the Royalton for a 3 day/2 night weekend with my 13 year old niece who was visiting NYC for the first time! I got a great price on the using using Priceline, so I didn't have the highest expectations for what I was getting. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel and the graciousness of the staff. We arrived early Saturday afternoon and as our room was not ready, the hotel stored our bags and took my cell # so they could call when our room was ready.

When we checked in later that afternoon, we found our room to be very spacious (for NYC standards), well appointed and with a great bathroom. We had a queen sized bed, a desk with a complimentary ipad and a couch for lounging along one wall. We were on the 11th floor far from the elevator with windows looking out onto 44th Street. Although we were high up, there was still plenty of street noise that you could hear. I have traveled to NYC quite a few times, so I was not surprised by this. The hotel is quite close to Times Square, lots of action, traffic and people.

My niece and I went out to dinner and a Broadway show and when we returned, the hotel had left a plate of chocolate chip cookies, along with an I Love NY t-shirt and mug. There was a card wishing me a Happy Birthday!! It was a very nice touch.

The doorman were great, always asked if we needed assistance or a taxi when we left the hotel. The front desk staff always greeted us when we left or returned.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We had a great stay at the Royalton.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Runnergirl89
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so delighted you and your niece had such a memorable stay. It sounds like you had a great time, and the chocolate chip cookies were the perfect ending to a busy day in New York City. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another wonderful visit.
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

In attempting to be uber chic, this hotel missed the mark on a number of counts.

The whole hotel is set with "mood" lighting - by which I mean it was deliberately very dark and left me in a mood as I found it to too dark to navigate around the hotel & room. It was worse than being in a Hollister store!

Rooms were supposed to be equipped with ipads for computer access. With none in my room, I attempted to use my own device only to be presented with an online request for payment at which point I passed. Next day I complained and was given a free wifi code.

The room was small, with little light. Bed ok. But the disaster was the aircon/heating - the heating value was stuck so that on the first night despite setting the room temperature for 19c, it was actually 27c in the room and too hot to get much sleep. Naturally I called maintenance who undertook to fix it after telling me the system was old and the values were often faulty/sticking. Returning late the next night, having been assured it was fixed the same thing happened and so I endured 2 nights without much sleep.

Shan't be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank johndwilson
My sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with your air conditioner during your stay. Every once and a while things happen outside of our control and we do our best to correct them in a timely manner. I am sorry your air conditioner was not fixed by your second night; I hope you’ll give us a second chance so that we may show you what a true Royalton experience is like.