“Modern Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton New York Hotel

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #213 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Modern Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My boyfriend booked this hotel for a weekend getaway for my birthday. He did a great job! The hotel is less than 2 blocks away from times square, a short walk to Central Park and about 20 blocks (a short cab ride) from the Empire State Building. The hotel is very modern, with sleek design. It is dark in the lobby but it adds to the ambiance of the bar feel at night. We had a basic room which was not huge but big enough for the two of us for two nights. I found enough space to put my things away and the closet was surprisingly large. I found the bed very comfortable and there was also a small couch in the room. Having the iPad with free internet access was great to look up destinations or restaurants. Everything was very clean and the staff was excellent, all very nice and accommodating. Our room was diagonally across from the elevators but we didn't notice any excessive noise during any time of the day or night we were in the hotel. We had a drink at the bar one night which was good, if a little pricey. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant. My only suggestion would be to self park at the lot next door, not use the valet, as it saves a lot of money. There is a garage on the right immediately before the hotel. We didn't see that until after we valeted our car but probably would have paid half of what we did.

1 Thank sox33
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We are thrilled to be a part of your birthday celebration. It sounds like you really took advantage of our prime location and enjoyed our welcoming lobby bar. We hope you’ll join us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
jarvischas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed five nights at Royalton, this is our second stay albeit separated by a few years – so expected the décor to be tired and tatty. Very pleasantly surprised that both the staff and the hotel was still living up to the high standards we remembered. We had a Loft room, which was both spacy and airy, if budgets stretched it is worth going for. Just one small minor whinge, when we checked into the room – their was no hot water, after a quick chat with room service a friendly maintenance man arrived who turned on the hot water valve, problem resolved and able to have that revitalising soak in the huge round tub.

2 Thank jarvischas
We are so happy to welcome you back for a second time. I am delighted to hear we lived up to your expectations and that you enjoyed one of our loft suites. We look forward to your third visit with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at the Royalton for a 3 day/2 night weekend with my 13 year old niece who was visiting NYC for the first time! I got a great price on the using using Priceline, so I didn't have the highest expectations for what I was getting. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel and the graciousness of the staff. We arrived early Saturday afternoon and as our room was not ready, the hotel stored our bags and took my cell # so they could call when our room was ready.

When we checked in later that afternoon, we found our room to be very spacious (for NYC standards), well appointed and with a great bathroom. We had a queen sized bed, a desk with a complimentary ipad and a couch for lounging along one wall. We were on the 11th floor far from the elevator with windows looking out onto 44th Street. Although we were high up, there was still plenty of street noise that you could hear. I have traveled to NYC quite a few times, so I was not surprised by this. The hotel is quite close to Times Square, lots of action, traffic and people.

My niece and I went out to dinner and a Broadway show and when we returned, the hotel had left a plate of chocolate chip cookies, along with an I Love NY t-shirt and mug. There was a card wishing me a Happy Birthday!! It was a very nice touch.

The doorman were great, always asked if we needed assistance or a taxi when we left the hotel. The front desk staff always greeted us when we left or returned.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We had a great stay at the Royalton.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Runnergirl89
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so delighted you and your niece had such a memorable stay. It sounds like you had a great time, and the chocolate chip cookies were the perfect ending to a busy day in New York City. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another wonderful visit.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

In attempting to be uber chic, this hotel missed the mark on a number of counts.

The whole hotel is set with "mood" lighting - by which I mean it was deliberately very dark and left me in a mood as I found it to too dark to navigate around the hotel & room. It was worse than being in a Hollister store!

Rooms were supposed to be equipped with ipads for computer access. With none in my room, I attempted to use my own device only to be presented with an online request for payment at which point I passed. Next day I complained and was given a free wifi code.

The room was small, with little light. Bed ok. But the disaster was the aircon/heating - the heating value was stuck so that on the first night despite setting the room temperature for 19c, it was actually 27c in the room and too hot to get much sleep. Naturally I called maintenance who undertook to fix it after telling me the system was old and the values were often faulty/sticking. Returning late the next night, having been assured it was fixed the same thing happened and so I endured 2 nights without much sleep.

Shan't be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank johndwilson
My sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with your air conditioner during your stay. Every once and a while things happen outside of our control and we do our best to correct them in a timely manner. I am sorry your air conditioner was not fixed by your second night; I hope you’ll give us a second chance so that we may show you what a true Royalton experience is like.
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed recently stayed here with my sister and daughter. The rooms are very small, but is it to be expected in NYC. Very clean, modern.

I loved that they provided us with our own iPad in the room to use for the duration of our stay!!! That was awesome as they had their Royalton app on it and it helped us to decide what restaurants to eat at, where to shop and what is around on maps, pictures etc. Very useful!!

They do provide wifi for a minimal fee. And everything in the room you would expect from a hotel plus more.

It was something like a 5 minute walk to Times Square!

We saw some celebrities here and I was even chatting with a couple not realizing who they were (The whole cast of Don't Trust the $&*^ in APT something, James Van Der Beek, Selma Blair and more!! Ha Ha. We found out later that it is a hot spot for them to stay or dine at the lounge in the lobby.Apparently Lady Gaga goes here sometimes (I am not sure if that entices or scares you....sorry..he he).

The food at the lounge was good but it was the ambiance which sold me! Lovely fireplace to sit by while you chat with friends over dinner! Loved it.

I recommend this hotel if you are not on a budget, like modern style rooms and want to be close to Times Square.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review – I am so pleased to hear you and your family had such a great stay. It sounds like our central location and popular lobby bar really made your stay special. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Wayland, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

European quality, small rooms with very contemporary furnishings, lots of chrome and glass. Very clean but not spacious enough. Cocktail lounge was welcoming and romantic. Restaurant for breakfast was charming.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed our overall décor and welcoming lobby. I hope you’ll join us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'm torn on this hotel..in terms of rooms, we stayed in 2 very different room types at each end of our trip. The first was pretty bad - hardly any natural light, no storage, very noisy aircon and a weird frame around the bed that I managed to bang my head on twice!

The second must have been a higher grade of room and was much nicer - actual daylight, newer bathroom and the 'shoreditch chic' decor actually worked in here as opposed to the first room where it just felt oppressive.

The lobby is the bit that puzzles me most. If it were just a bar I was visiting I'd be fine with it - dimly lit, funky modern fireplaces and decor, pulsating music and plenty of nooks and crannies with nice leather chairs.

BUT as a hotel guest it was actually quite stressful trying to navigate the music and dim lighting to find the main desk whilst complete with suitcases! And even as you check in you're literally shouting at the person behind the desk so they can hear you. Bit bizarre, and at the risk of sounding like my Mum it really was excessively loud!

Breakfast is also a fortune - $22 for a single continental breakfast which consisted of orange juice, coffee and a very petite selection (3 or 4) of mini pastries. Get it included or go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor, away from elevator. And bathtub rooms (whilst you get a round bath and quit...