“Great... but good be better” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royalton New York Hotel

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #246 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montreal
“Great... but good be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Ground floor design is amazing... Excellent design.. You wonder if your ar in a night club or an hotel... The crowd is also quite animated. The rooms are spacious however, our was a bit tired... It felt like it been under several repairs and touch-ups over the years and those were done badly. Not the the standard of the assume sophistacation of the hotel brand. Room service doesn't start before 8:00 in the morning... which is quite disapointing, however, food and service is very good. Rates are very competitives and location very central.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor... or rooms on inner court
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank port-au-persil
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our delicious room service, central location, and chic design. I apologize that you felt your room needed some love, and I ensure you we take these comments very seriously and continually strive to be top of the line with our housekeeping standards. I hope you’ll join us again soon so that you may see the love with put into our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Korean first
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at the Royalton for 6 nights with my 17 year old son. Our room had 2 queen beds situated on the 12 th floor and was amazingly quiet at all times.
The room was larger than expected with a great shower in the bathroom incl bath.
Housekeeping did a great job throughout our stay -the room was immaculate on our arrival and maintained like that during our stay. The room had a large flat screen TV with a great choice of cable and Films,iPad and Bose docking station, loads of different things in the mini bar and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in whilst away from home with 6 pillows.
All the staff were helpful and friendly and the bar and lobby is amazing with a large fire and great atmosphere early evening.

Only adverse comment would be the Gym which is quite limited - it would be a good idea to arrange access to one of the many nearby gyms for those who need their "gym fix" every day

The hotel is well situated on a quiet street right in the heart of the city, a short walk from Times Square and Broadway , central Station and 5th Ave .

Overall a great stay and I will definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone else

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the Elevators and the Lobby which can be a little noisy in the evenings
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am thrilled to hear you and your son had such a great stay at Royalton. It sounds like you really took advantage of our in-room amenities, such as our five foot round soaking tubs and in room iPads. As for our gym, we understand that we are not a full service gym, but we do offer day passes to Equinox for our guests.
SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife & I stumbled onto the Royalton a few years back and have made it our go-to hotel in NYC (we travel up yearly for our anniversary). I worry every year that maybe the hotel won't live up to expectations, or that service will have slipped, or that the property will become run-down. I am happy to report that our expectations have ALWAYS been exceeded, service has ALWAYS been improved and the property seems to never age - everything's SPOTLESS when we arrive.

As usual, the staff on every level was friendly and gracious. I appreciate that each room, even in the same class, has its own special touches that make it inviting. We've never stayed in the same room twice - and we've loved it every time.

One nice upgrade this year was the move to RFID-enabled keycards. Instead of having to swipe/insert a key to enter our room, I just had to hold my wallet to the door and we were granted entry (My wife enjoyed putting her key in a pocket and brushing her hip against the doorknob!). We arrived while the Royalton was testing this feature on a limited number of rooms. I'd really like to encourage the hotel to push this upgrade as a standard feature: it's a little thing that made a big difference versus fumbling with keycards while in gloves or holding baggage!

We love this hotel. We'll be back every year they're open, and I'll continue to recommend it to any friends and family travelling to the city. Thanks for another great stay - we'll see you again next year!

Room Tip: Even if you're a shower-only person, spring for the mirrorball tub rooms. Showering in them is j...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a wonderful review. We are thrilled to be a part of your anniversary year after year. I am glad you noticed our new key system. We have upgraded the entire hotel so that each room is now using the RFID-enabled keys. We look forward to seeing you again next year for your anniversary, and if you decide to surprise us with an earlier visit that would be okay too.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm a Brit living in US and travel non-stop. The Royalton is one of my favourite hotels, always get a great welcome, superb location, busy bar, great food and rooms are superb. Really comfortable beds and spacious, espcially for NYC.

My only negative is that I can't get in sometimes because its full.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, we are always thrilled to welcome you back to your home away from home. It is always best to book early, so as soon as you know your travel plans book your hotel with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Brookline, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Royalton back in ‘05 and so for my wife's b'day this year we decided to stay at the Royalton again. The hotel is very nice, close to all the action, and the staff is very helpful. They had champagne and strawberries ready for my wife which was a nice perk. We stayed in a mini-suite (I think) on the 8th floor and the room was spacious and comfortable. The ipad was a nice extra and allowed me to keep up on my fantasy teams while away (yes, the wife loved that part!) Good view of 44th street, the bed was comfy (too soft for me, but my wife liked it) and the tub in the bathroom was great. I recommend sitting in a warm tub and then letting the shower fall on you! VERY warming and therapeutic after a cold day walking around the city. Subways stations are all around the hotel and the furthest we used was only a few blocks down on 8th and 42nd. If you exit the hotel from the 43rd Ave. doors, Grand Central Station is only 3 blocks down. Many dining and bar options are within 1 or 2 blocks. This hotel is not only a great place to stay, it is a great base to start each day from. Right in the middle of everything.

My only 2 negatives I can think of is that they were in-between concierges and while the sub there was a very nice guy, he wasn’t as good as the one they had back in ’05. Also, apparently the downstairs bar area has been remodeled sometime in the last few years and on Thursday and Friday night the whole bar area was crowded and loud. I guess it’s the cool new place to hang out because I know all those people weren’t staying at the hotel. That being said, our stay was great and I would recommend the Royalton to anyone thinking of going to NYC.

Room Tip: Get a room with a tub! So nice to soak and relax with your spouse after a long day of walking.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so happy you decided to stay with us for your wife’s birthday. It sounds like you really took advantage of our prime location and relaxing soaking tubs. I am sorry to hear our concierge team was unable to assist you with your requests; please feel free to contact us before your next stay so we can ensure everything goes smoothly.
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Superb hotel - loft rooms are excellent with round bath and disco mirrored tiles all around! The bar is really good for a hotel - good atmosphere and excellent music (Serge Gainsborg and Kings of Convenience in one sitting)
Good location but for some reason ALOT of taxis drivers aren't sure of were it is on the road so keep an eye out to get them to stop in time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am so glad to hear you had such a great stay with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed our comfortable rooms and great lobby restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Enjoyed another wonderful stay at Royalton, two nights right before Christmas.

Great room.

Fantastic location.

Helpful, customer service oriented staff who remembered preferences from previous visits.

All added up to a hotel that delivers and is spot on for both business and leisure travel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for another great review. We always appreciate your reviews and love welcoming you back again and again. I am so happy you had another wonderful stay; we look forward to seeing you again soon.