“Excellent Hotel”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #268 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here in late September. Location was excellent... right off times square but on a quiet street. Close to everything including transportation. Service was exception... everyone from the check-in staff to bartenders. I particularly liked how quiet the lobby was. Had a drink there with a friend.. where we could talk and not feel like we were in one of those factory new york hotel lobbies. Even though I had a priceline rate, received an upgrade to a penthouse room that was wonderful. Huge by new york standards. Amazing bathroom. Ipad in the room was a terrific touch. Thanks for a great visit. And I disagree with everyone about how dark the hotel is. It keeps it quiet and peaceful. My friend was staying at one of the huge chain hotels down the street. Wouldn't trade rooms with him if he paid me.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank worldtraveler303
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed our prime location, welcoming lobby, and spacious suites. I hope you’ll join us again the next time you are in town.

There are newer reviews for Royalton New York Hotel

Reviewed October 8, 2012

What isn't to love. While we miss Emar tremendously, we come back time and again to stay at the Royalton. Initial glimpse gets you with the comfy and jazzy lobby. Then the modern and spacious rooms bring you in. Customer service is perfect and they clearly aim to please. We have stayed at the Royalton on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. Location is ideal. Quick walk to Times Square and the Theater District after a comfy and entertaining night... priceless.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a great review, you’re our favorite too! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our warm lobby decor and comfortable rooms. We are always happy to welcome you back again and again.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

For the 2 days I was in NYC, all I wanted was a good location and a clean room. Got it! Royalton exceeded these expectations with phenomenal service ( I love have my name remembered & being called by it). Front Desk's Travis went extra mile to recognize our special occasion with cookies & milk for my daughter's birthday). Bell Staff were prompt, courteous and personable.
I found this property because of a promo rate. Perfect for business travel, couples travel and girls weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing W 44th street as other rooms may not have view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank secondmoon95

I am thrilled to hear you had such a great stay and that we exceeded your expectations. It sounds like our team made you and your daughter’s stay memorable, and I hope you’ll join us again soon.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here last week. You walk in and the ambience is amazing! The staff are soooo respectful, friendly and helpful. So much that I was actually surprised that hotel staff could be this polite in the USA (no offence but I am used to a certain standard in Dubai and was thus pleasantly surprised to find that same standard of service here). The hotel lobby is chic, modern and oh-so-hip. Literally every evening it was packed with business people having after work drinks at the bar. Loved it here. Went up to my standard room which I did not expect to be big but was still happy with the size. Settled in and them realised that the TV remote and room phone weren't working. Called to complain and got a call from the hotel manager (and he also came to the room to apologise) and AN UPGRADE to a HUGEEEEE suite! Literally four times the size of my standard room. Great Great service. The doormen at this hotel called me by name every time they spotted me and were always so helpful with getting cabs. I felt like they genuinely cared about me.

The one issue I had with this hotel (apparently a standard in NY hotels) was the room service charge. DO NOT bother with room service in this hotel as there is an $18 charge (and some other random charges) each time someone brings anything up. Ordered a $14 burger (which I didn't like in the end) and a sprite and paid $40! Had hummus and naan bread with boneless chicken wings (yummy) and paid $68. Final straw - asked for some hot water and tea (black tea) and got a $6 bill for ONE TEA BAG. Totally ridiculous. This however is not specific to this hotel as I was told its a NY thing when I complained.

Oh location wise - I loved that the hotel was only two blocks away from Times Square but still on a peaceful street surrounded by other chic hotels. Cabs in NY are so cheap thus getting everywhere was pretty easy.

One more thing while in NY do check out the Hurricane Club (lovely lively bar/restaurant), the Darby (restaurant), Cipriani's downtown and Boom Boom Room at the top of the Standard Hotel. Also make sure you walk around Soho - great shopping area.

All in all loved my time at Royalton.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Wow, thank you for writing such a kind review. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our hotel décor, central location, and friendly team. It sounds like you had a great trip in New York City and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel is beautiful (Phillipe Starke) and all the reviews were so good that I was very excited to stay here. It IS a beautiful hotel and the staff are wonderful. BUT, as pretty as our deluxe room was, the lighting is so poor that I was shocked. No problem with mood lighting for our bedroom area, and a light behind the desk made that ok, but the bathroom lighting was so bad that I haven't a clue how I looked for the 4 days I was in NYC. There is a vanity light that's also too dim to help much with make-up, etc.
The minibar/fridge is just slightly cooler than room temperature. They sell you water, wine and champange and I'd have been furious if I'd bought any of it. We had maintenance come check it out since our oj wouldn't stay cold and were told that it isn't meant to get colder and we could order an ice bucket from the lounge. We'd have to have it filled twice daily just to keep some oj cold. Fresh squeezed oj is nearly $4 for a small bottle, so that was a bummer.
The mattress was a dream but I was surprised at the traffic noise that poured in. Evidently, they didn't spend much money on insulating the windows. Being ex-New Yorkers we were able to sleep through most of the noise, but ask for a room that doesn't front a street (if there are any) if you're not willing to hear trucks at dawn. Lots and lots of trucks!
The bedroom suite needed more storage and it was huge so there was plenty of room. One wall had nothing but a mirror on it and could have had a low sleek dresser that would have suited the decor. Instead, we got two shallow drawers under the assorted candy, chips, cookies compartment that flips up. The bath has no fan, no hooks and just the sink counter and small vanity counter (glass). No hooks or shelves anywhere. It's all sleek and beautiful, but not very user friendly. The slate shower is fabulous!
I used a company called TINGO to book this hotel and they are great. You do have to pay up front, but their cancellation policy is fine, same as the hotels, and they search for lower fares and room upgrades until the day before your stay. We had booked a standard room and ended up in a deluxe for a few hundred less per night. I'll use them again.
We ate in the restaurant one of our nights in NY and it was really delicious. The prices are typically high NYC prices, but the food was very good with larger portions than we expected. We shared our choices and were very happy and full.
Finally, as wonderful as the staff was, they were unable to get our car out of the parking garage as they offered. We were asked to call them 30 minutes prior to check-out and it would be brought around. We got back to the hotel 25 minutes after our call and no car. They called again and we waited another 10-15 minutes and still no car. The poor guy who was checking us out actually went to the garage and finally, after more than an hour, it arrived with him in it. The parking lot driver waited for a tip and he may still be waiting! They kindly offered us a free drink for our troubles, but we weren't interested as we were heading out. The big problem was that the delay put us into the start of Friday rush hour traffic out of the city, so that was a big deal. We knew to leave by 2:30 and the hour delay was a really big deal.
Our 4 nights cost just over $1900 for the room, even with our savings. Dinner -- one app., one entre and 3 drinks (wine and beer) was just over $100. and parking was $224. Usual for NY but not worth it for this hotel. Without some major changes I won't stay there again. I'll choose practicality over beauty for my money.

Room Tip: Ask if they have rooms that don't front on either street. I don't know if they do, but the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I am truly sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay. From the refrigerator in your room to the valet services it seems as though we missed the mark. I hope you will give us another chance to wow you with our comfortable beds and prime location.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We just returned from our first stay at the Royalton. We reserved 2 suites on the 7th floor. Our check in was easy and seemed to go smooth until our additional party traveling from over seas was alerted by their bank that their credit card was charged $150.00 per night in advance for incidentals. This would not have been such a problem if it was disclosed to us and that our guests were not from over seas.

The lobby area of the hotel is chic, but extremely dark. The suites have a generous amount of space but could use some freshening up, especially the carpets. The a/c unit is quite loud and I did awake to the trash trucks, which seem to pick up all night long in NY. There is no ice bucket in the suite. When you need ice you must make a call to have it delivered.

The location is excellent. We did walk to almost all of our destinations. Times Square, Broadway Shows, 5th Ave, and Madison.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZIMBoston

My sincere apologies for the miscommunication you experienced during your arrival. It is common practice in New York Hotels that a deposit is taken for each night to cover any incidentals that you may want to charge to your room, however this should have been better explained to your guests. I am glad you enjoyed our central location and I hope you’ll give us another chance the next time you are in town.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Perfect location for a hotel really central, less than a 5 minute walk from Times Square and Central Station.

We arrived on a Wednesday evening and the bar on the ground floor was really busy and had a nice atmosphere. We managed to change our room to one with a balcony; it was great you could see the Chrysler Building. Our hotel room was clean, nicely decorated and the bed was very comfy.

The disappointment was the air conditioning and room service, we ordered burgers and found it extremely greasy and very unpleasant. The air con was very noisy. However, the staff were very helpful and when we did complain they were more than willing to try and resolve any issues promptly. The hotel did take the price of the burger off our check out bill that was nice of them.

Room Tip: The rooms get better the higher up the building.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location, comfortable beds, and helpful staff. I am sorry you did not have a good experience with room service, but it sounds like our team made sure you left happy. I hope you will join us again the next time you are in town.