“The best hotel experience I've had.”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #249 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“The best hotel experience I've had.”
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

To say the Royalton exceeded expectations would be an understatement - my 12 night stay in July 2012 was just brilliant.

-perfect location for theatre and shopping lovers. One block to 5th Avenue shopping. Go one block the other way and you hit your first Broadway theatre. A short 5min stroll and you're at the Rockfeller or Grand Central station or Time Square.  And what's really brilliant is the despite everything being so close, the area directly around the Royalton is quiet (by NYC standards), clean and I always felt safe.

-although the building is old, the fitout inside is smart and contemporary. Every detail has been considered - from the Malin + Goetz cosmetic products, to the free iPad in-room, to the workstation desk to the make-up station for the ladies, and even would you believe it, a proper ionic hair dryer! The windows just look at the next door building but there is quite some space between the two - plenty of light.

-the gym is quite good for NYC sizes and the business room allows you to print off your airline boarding passes for free which is a nice touch.

- there is a beautiful (and huge!) bar and restaurant on the ground level. A really nice refuge from the NYC afternoon sun. Not cheap but a nice spot - I'm surprised the locals don't use it more.

- the staff are all lovely and accommodating. Everyone from the doormen to the front desk to the housekeeping were all great. I had my wallet stolen in NYC and everyone was really helpful as I clambered to get emergency credit cards etc.

- no accommodation is cheap in NYC, but the Royalton is amazing value and a big step up in quality from slightly cheaper hotels. I found the cheapest way to book was direct with the Royalton online using their 21 day advance pre-pay offer. After I booked, I got an email offer for half price upgrades if rooms went unsold. Lucky for me I did get the upgrade from the standard to the deluxe room for only $19 a night which was just brilliant - the room was really big by Australian standards and huge by NYC standards. The bathroom was a amazing.

I only have two minor items where the Royalton could improve:

(1) wireless Internet is not free which is a bit backward these days. It is free on the supplied iPad though, so why not just allow guests to use their own devices?

(2) the air con in-room is effective but really noisy. I couldn't sleep with it on, but I didn't overheat with it off overnight, so not a big deal.

A couple of tips for fellow non-USA travellers:

(1) the main NYC supermarket chain is called Duane Reade and there is 24-hour one right near the Royalton. Upon your first visit ask for a free loyalty card. You save a fortune buying basics like water.

(2) for the Aussies, a couple of doors down from the Royalton is a coffee shop call Gregory's. They are the only store that I could find in NYC that makes a really good latte.

(3) Don't use the wash and fold service in the Hippodrome next to the Roylton - clothes ruined!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Scott D
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Wow – thank you for such a stellar review. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the hotel’s amenities and design. I’m sure all of our future guests will appreciate your travel tips and we look forward to having you back at Royalton soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
England
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We read about this hotel on trip advisor and got a good deal through booking.com. We made a long haul flight to JFK from the Middle East on our Summer holiday and wanted to acclimatise by exploring NY for a few days.

First up, this is a good hotel with excellent staff and the location is perfect if you're a tourist. It's well priced and it's a really classy joint with a jazz bar feel to it. We liked it. It's clearly a business hotel but we felt at home with our three boys in tow.

The rooms are small; but, that's a city centre hotel and to be fair they were big enough for a rollaway in one of the rooms to accommodate our huge sons. The decor upstairs is grey and functional but in keeping with the atmosphere downstairs. The bed, which clearly is the main thing, was excellent; very comfortable, good linen and lots of pillow combinations.

The lobby area is open plan and serves three purposes; bar, restaurant and reception. They flow really well into each other. The reception reminds me of a theatre box office. The bar area is excellent and clearly very popular after work. The restaurant looks underused; although, the breakfast serving of eggs benedict is the best I've ever had.

So what else? Well, the staff were outstanding. The door men were really helpful and interesting, the waiters were attentive and the house keeping was brilliant - the rooms were tidied and cleaned really well each day.

So, would I stay here again? Most definitely. This is a good hotel and I can't really think what they could do better for this range of hotel - oh yes, the gym wasn't great but then we spent most of our time walking so we didn't use it in the end!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank spjwstaines
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for such a detailed review. It sounds like you had a great trip to New York and that Royalton helped make your trip memorable. I hope we will see you back soon.
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I loved this hotel, great service and boutique rooms - best breakfast we had while in the states and an iPad in each room with free internet who could ask for more.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank KyleeNZ
Short and sweet – we could not have said it better ourselves. I am happy we could be a part of your first trip to New York City, and we look forward to your second.
Suisun City, California
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Was making reservation on their web site for multiple rooms. Got rate (not inexpensive - $340+ per night) and went to book. Rate was increased by $100 when I went to do so! Called reservations center and was told, nicely, tough luck. Indeed - these folks have a very sophisticated current technology web site yet can't deliver pricing ... HMMM.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dsloves
My apologies that you had difficulties while trying to make a reservation. The hotel industry is very similar to the airline industry in that our rates and inventory are constantly changing. It is possibly that during your booking a certain room category became unavailable and the next available room category showed. We take pride in offering competitive rates and packages so that we may cater to our guests, and I am sorry you did not feel that was the case. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct next time you would like to make a reservation.
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Just back from a 3 night stay at Royalton...and absolutely loved it!

The hotel is 'cool' and quirky and makes a real change to usual hotel furnishings etc.

Location is perfect, just off times square, within walking distance to empire state, central park, rockafeller....

iPad in room is very handy

And it's very reasonably priced for somewhere so nice and with such a great location.

Highly recommended, would definitely stay there again!

One tip - if you walk to the hotel (from grand central etc) it can be very difficult to find as its a very discreet hotel front. Probably worth getting a taxi - would be less than $10 I reckon from grand central.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark N
Thank you so much for your glowing review. I am glad you enjoyed our prime location, in-room iPads and overall ‘cool’ feeling. We look forward to seeing you again.
canalick
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I got a great deal on travelzoo to stay at the Royalton. The hotel is in a great location in Midtown. The rooms are a nice size. They are beautifully decorated with great perks. An ipad for your use in each room, a docking station for your ipod or iphone, a flat screen tv, and a good mini bar. The lobby is a great lounge and a good place for a late night drink.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank canalick
I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed all of our in-room amenities during your stay. I hope you and your boyfriend will join us again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I travel to NYC every other week for business and the Royalton is my first choice among countless options in midtown. I love the location and ambience of the hotel and Bar 44 and seating area, the openness of the restaurant, and the rooms. The staff is exceptionally attentive and the service is very efficient. There is a stocked mini-bar, docking station for iPhone, iTouch, etc and an iPad in each of the rooms to access information about the hotel or other information about the area. Room service is always delivered very quickly and on time when ordered for a specific time the next day. I don’t have anything negative to say about this hotel, only postives.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
I am pleased to hear Royalton has become your first choice. It sounds like you enjoyed our bar/restaurant and in room amenities during your stay. And as always, we look forward to welcoming you back next week.