To say the Royalton exceeded expectations would be an understatement - my 12 night stay in July 2012 was just brilliant.
-perfect location for theatre and shopping lovers. One block to 5th Avenue shopping. Go one block the other way and you hit your first Broadway theatre. A short 5min stroll and you're at the Rockfeller or Grand Central station or Time Square. And what's really brilliant is the despite everything being so close, the area directly around the Royalton is quiet (by NYC standards), clean and I always felt safe.
-although the building is old, the fitout inside is smart and contemporary. Every detail has been considered - from the Malin + Goetz cosmetic products, to the free iPad in-room, to the workstation desk to the make-up station for the ladies, and even would you believe it, a proper ionic hair dryer! The windows just look at the next door building but there is quite some space between the two - plenty of light.
-the gym is quite good for NYC sizes and the business room allows you to print off your airline boarding passes for free which is a nice touch.
- there is a beautiful (and huge!) bar and restaurant on the ground level. A really nice refuge from the NYC afternoon sun. Not cheap but a nice spot - I'm surprised the locals don't use it more.
- the staff are all lovely and accommodating. Everyone from the doormen to the front desk to the housekeeping were all great. I had my wallet stolen in NYC and everyone was really helpful as I clambered to get emergency credit cards etc.
- no accommodation is cheap in NYC, but the Royalton is amazing value and a big step up in quality from slightly cheaper hotels. I found the cheapest way to book was direct with the Royalton online using their 21 day advance pre-pay offer. After I booked, I got an email offer for half price upgrades if rooms went unsold. Lucky for me I did get the upgrade from the standard to the deluxe room for only $19 a night which was just brilliant - the room was really big by Australian standards and huge by NYC standards. The bathroom was a amazing.
I only have two minor items where the Royalton could improve:
(1) wireless Internet is not free which is a bit backward these days. It is free on the supplied iPad though, so why not just allow guests to use their own devices?
(2) the air con in-room is effective but really noisy. I couldn't sleep with it on, but I didn't overheat with it off overnight, so not a big deal.
A couple of tips for fellow non-USA travellers:
(1) the main NYC supermarket chain is called Duane Reade and there is 24-hour one right near the Royalton. Upon your first visit ask for a free loyalty card. You save a fortune buying basics like water.
(2) for the Aussies, a couple of doors down from the Royalton is a coffee shop call Gregory's. They are the only store that I could find in NYC that makes a really good latte.
(3) Don't use the wash and fold service in the Hippodrome next to the Roylton - clothes ruined!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Morgans commissioned Roman Williams, to re-create Royalton's legendary lobby. The design - simultaneously sophisticated and complex - juxtaposes an icy cast-glass vestibule and brass furnishings with soft suede upholstery, thick leather walls and hide-covered chairs to create a dark, sexy and luxurious space. Design and architectural details include a mammoth floor-to-ceiling hand forged cast-bronze fireplace, a twenty-foot screen that was once part of the facade of a building in France and hand-upholstered leather walls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelPower, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royalton New York Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royalton New York Hotel New York City
- Royalton New York City
- New York City Royalton
- Royalton Hotel New York