“Perfect for a hip yet sophisticated stay”

Royalton New York Hotel
Ranked #251 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a hip yet sophisticated stay”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed at the royalton for my birthday over the thanksgiving weekend, and the hotel really did make it truly special. As it was for a birthday we were looking for something that we can enjoy being in and funky but not a party hotel. We had been recommend the royalton and it completely fitted the bill. Having enjoyed St Martins hotel in london for drinks, we had expectations and they were certainly met.
On arrival it is inconspicuous with a barely noticeable front and casual doormen, which I loved, felt like we were entering a hidden gem. We arrived mid day and found reception desk tucked away, we're greeted pleasantly, checked in and given our room. It was only once we found our room and lugged our bags across the hall that I realised we hadn't been offered any assistance in showing where our room was or with our luggage. This was shame as lesser hotels would never have missed this. The lobby was lovely likened to an old boys smoking room but with funky chilled youthful edge. And on a cold thanksgiving morning the fire was very inciting

Arrived in our standard room and for new york was a decent size with a view of 5th ave if you stuck our head out the window! But perfect for us as just by the parade route. The bed was comfortable and soft and the little extras like ipad linked room service and bose speakers made it feel very current. The bathroom was lovely with the most delicious rain shower big enough for two ;). My slight grievance was there seemed to be charge for any small extras in the room, sewing kits, first aid kit, music.

On our second day, as it was my birthday decided to upgrade to a loft suite. This room really was gorgeous, great big bed, own fire place with long sofa and a bathroom to die for. You could swim in that bathtub! So perfect romantic room. The hotel staff also went to special effort after a little chat the night before and had arranged champagne and cake in the room for our arrival. A touch that made a great deal.

Hotel is an ideal location so everything in walking easy to reach distance. Only time we needed cabs was to go to meat packing.

The lobby area was quite most evening so went out for drinks and dinner although there was a buzz on saturday in the hotel bar. We were hoping there would be a little more life at the bar in the evenings however this was thanks giving so may be different at other times.We did try a few drinks at the bar on saturday and the cocktails were fabulous!
The hotel were very helpful in recommending best bars and restaurants to eat at. The concierge also kindly managed to get us tickets to a sold out nicks game. We stayed for 4 night and were made to feel so welcome by all the staff in particular the manager(?) Angel.

Overall fab hotel, well groomed and perfect for the discerning shopper looking for something chic and boutiquey with class.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank natasha p
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you so much for such a thorough review! I’m sure your review will help future guests get a good feel for what our hotel is all about. Please come back and visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Location: The hotel is conveniently located on 44th between 5th and 6th avenue. Steps away from tourist attractions such as Bryant Park, Rockerfeller Center, 5th Avenue, Times Square, Magnolia Bakery, MOMA, FAO Schwartz, Central Park and much much more. It is close enough to all these locations but you don't get the noise, traffic and overall madness that a Midtown hotel normally gets. The location is just perfect.

Check In: Since we arrived pretty early, we knew there was a 90% chance our room wouldn't be ready and we were right. Royalton has a 12:00 pm check out and 3:00 pm check in. Most travelers should be acquainted with those times since that is pretty much the standard times at most hotels and resorts. We were quickly processed and asked for one of our cellphone numbers to notify us if our room would be ready earlier. We handed off our luggage with the bell boy and off we went to explore NYC.

Room: We were lucky enough to book a King Loft Suite at the Royalton. Royalton has several room categories and we were probably at one of the bigger ones. What many people might not know is that hotel rates in NYC during the Christmas Holidays are amazing and this room was also just that. AMAZING! Once we walked in, we first noticed the extensive bar on our left hand side. That is where you will find the electronic safe and iPod / iPhone dock.

Straight ahead was the King Size bed with a total of 6 down pillows and the most comfortable duvet we have ever slept with at a hotel. Instead of night tables, Royalton had designed two tiered ports holes complete with a night light. This is where you will also find the phone and remote for the TV.

Beside the bed is an extremely long sofa which was so comfortable to lie on after a day of walking. We used this to relax, read or just to watch TV. Our room had a view of 44th street which wasn't that spectacular but the interior design of the Royalton actually made us forget there was an outside world. At the end of the couch is the TV which can be pulled from the wall and you can angle it towards the bed if you wanted to watch TV there.

The other stunner of this room was the bathroom. The Loft King Suite came with a 5ft soaker tub with a rain shower head right in the middle. We have to tell you. This tub was definitely worth it. Think about walking the streets of NYC all day during the winter. This helped wear off the wear and tear of the day and made our transition from day to night a whole lot easier. The only thing we wished was that there was bubble bath that we were able to use but we just bought some bath balms from the Lush store near Herald Square and we were good to go. The one thing I loved about this bathroom was how they stored the hair dryer. It was in a white garment bag, hung on a hook. Simple and clean. Robes can also be found in the closet and honestly were the most comfortable robes I have ever worn. We wanted to buy two for us but forgot to ask how to during our stay. The bathroom is stocked with Malin + Gotez products which were wonderful as well.

Just outside the bathroom was the desk which had an iPad on it. This is where you can browse Royaltons amenities and services that are available to you during your stay. You can also use this to browse the internet and help you find directions on how to get to the places you want to go to. On a side note internet is not included but can be purchased at $10/day for each device.

Last but not least is the bedside fireplace. Yes. Bedside fireplace. We highly recommend getting one when visiting NYC during the winter. It made our nights so cozy. Honestly we forgot we were in a hotel when it was lit. A simple call to the front desk and they will bring up the engineer to bring up the log and light the fire for you. The log lasts for about 3 hours so please don't call and have them light it when you are going to leave for dinner in an hour or two. It's just a waste. There is a glass barrier in front of the fire to protect any embers from flying out.

Overall, we truly enjoyed our stay at the hotel. This was the first time we ever stayed at a Morgans Hotel and it definitely won't be our last. We are already planning a trip back to NYC and with no question, we want to return and stay at this hotel. It felt like home for us and the staff is just wonderful. They made our Christmas the most memorable one and for that, we would like to thank you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank miQ
Wow – thank you so much for such a great detailed review! I almost felt like I stepped into one of our Alcove Suites when reading your description. It’s so great to hear that you had such a memorable holiday with us and we hope to see you back soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Visited NYC for Xmas 2011 and stayed in the Royalton, in Midtown. Hotel was stylish, staff were friendly and the room was very comfortable. In particular the bar staff were very friendly and created tasty cocktails.

I have never reviewed on trip adviser before and read reviews with caution as one person's taste is another's dislike. However I felt strongly enough to register with Tripadviser, as on our return we were informed by our bank that our credit card had been the subject of theft. $400 was spent in Kentucky. The only time we used our credit card was to settle our hotel bill. As such the coincidence that a week later someone in Kentucky spend money when we hadn't used our card online etc led us to believe the origin was at the Royalton.

We have informed the Royalton...still waiting!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for your review and for the positive comments on the staff, the comfort of the room and our tasty cocktails.

As I mentioned in my email, we take your allegations of fraud very seriously and are working with the credit card company on a full investigation.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Living in Manhattan, I don't really book hotels in Manhattan.

My bf decided once to make it very special and had a room for our anniversary. Since that day we keep coming back to Royalton for our one day runaway from the NYC. I'm not sure about the name of the room, it was very big, with a fireplace, king size bed (it was hidden in a den) and a jacuzzi. The bed is very very comfy. Veeeeeeery comfy :)

The room was designed very trendy and stylish, and had candles and petals all over the place :)

The lobby bar with all those fireplaces and comfortable sofas is one sexy bar to enjoy. Great drinks, good wine selection, nice music.

Royalton presents the new type of royalty. Glam, shic, sophisticated New Yorker.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LazNYC
What a wonderful review thank you so much. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your ‘staycation’ with us and I love that ‘Royalton represents the new type of Royalty!’ We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I go to NYC often on business and my hotel of choice is The Royalton. It is by far and away one of the best hotels in NYC weather you are a business traveler or a visitor. Though tucked away in a nameless front door, what lies behind is a great experience, a hotel that knows service matters and one that knows that the small points are the big points.

First and foremost is the service, Angel Pan and the entire Front Desk Crew are a joy, make the check in process very quick and easy, you get a great room and your keys fast and in a fun and friendly manner. I have to mention the guys at the front door. I always get a "welcome back" in a friendly and nice tone, cab sir, can I help with the bag, need a newspaper before you go, etc. That is gold standard of doorman service. They are gracious, easy going and have been there for a long time - what does that tell you?

Rooms are great. I prefer the "04" rooms, very nice and spacious. Know before going in this hotel has been retrofit, but it works. I noticed improved elevators on this trip. They keep improving the hotel. The "disco" tub/shower in the 04 room is one you MUST experience, especially if you are on vacation with a special someone. They have amazing iPhone or Nano sound systems in the room, they added a new air purifier recently (a little noisy, but you can turn it off), and power strips, for us business travelers that need lots of outlets. Yeah! Don't go to the hotel for the views, there are not many, but go for the lobby. Dark, sexy, spacious, big fireplace, cool seating area, very fun bar (an MTV Networks clubhouse) and really good food. I once came in late from the airport, called ahead and got a wonderful and perfectly cooked fish dinner at the bar when I arrived. Did I mention great service! While a hotel, this place is a "location" and NY insiders know it. You will impress your business or social friends with a meeting or drinks here at "Fourty Four" the bar's name. Across the street is DB Burger/Cafe - a must as well.

The Royalton has a small, yet very effective gym for those like me that get up very early and want to get a little sweat in. It works well and gets the job done.

So what I have not mastered is the air/bed cover combo in the room. For some reason the duvet is VERY good, so you sometimes either hot with it on and need some room air or cool with it off. I do a 50/50 mix most times. Need to master that.

The Royalton is also a sister Morgan's Hotel Group to the Mondrian SoHo, where some of the past Royalton managers have gone (so it automatically qualifies as a must) and The Clift Hotel in SF - probably the best hotel I have EVER stayed at all time. Since I travel virtually every week, I feel I am qualified to say that, but I will also say, The Royalton is stellar! I highly recommend it to savvy travelers, business or visitors and of course, pop culture icons.

Room Tip: Ask for the 04 rooms or the ones that match them on the other side of the building.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lee C
WOW – this is an amazing review, thank you for taking the time to detail your experience at the hotel so fully. I was so happy to read all the things that you enjoy about the hotel and that so many of the staff make your stay special. I very much look forward to meeting you on your next stay with us.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We are NYC fans and travel there at least twice every year. We have stayed at the Hudson several times and decided this time to try out it's 'big sister', the Royalton. What a good choice. It is everything you would expect from a Morgans hotel, quirky and funky. The outside entrance and the foyer are very impressive, the large fire near to reception was very welcoming. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful especially Angel Pan, the Night Manager, and the rooms were a good size for NYC. The location was fantastic. We will be back ... in fact we have already booked for April and will be booking for December in the next few months.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
It is wonderful that you have already booked to return to us and I am delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in April.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Hotel was like home away from home, really cosy on cold days! Guest Services manager Seantell kindly arranged for a complementary bottle of champagne to be sent up to our room as we told them we were celebrating our honeymoon. Plus everyone in reception congratulated us on arrival. The hotel is less than 5 minutes walk from Times Square, 10 mins walk to Rockefeller, 5th ave shops, and from Grand Central station and Just a 20 minute walk from Central Park too, perfect. Lots of nearby places to catch a good value breakfast/lunch and hundreds of places for a nice dinner. The rooms are comfy and provide a good night's sleep. The lobby also has a really cosy bar that gets busy in the evenings with a great atmosphere for a few drinks, the massive open fire is a welcome sight after being out all day in the winter.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple